Pensil series loudspeakers for small listening room - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 19th February 2011, 03:00 AM   #21
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member

Sheesh Mark i just took a pause from listening to Frightened Rabbit "The Midnight Organ Fight", checked the forum to read new post and had to think about that one but yep i've the nonesuch recording. It's one of my favorite's, i really enjoyed hearing Gorecki's #3 live in concert. Still waiting for a chance to go to a performance of his contemporary Krzysztof Penderecki's Threnody to the Victums of Hiroshima and Canticum Canticorum Salomonis.
So anyway now i'm wondering about something, John Morris obviously likes his A12's, has he heard the A10.2?
Old 26th February 2011, 11:46 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Hello!

I have now played about 80 h with pretty low/ moderate volumes, and I have noticed lots of progression happening. Sound is maybe more "open" and tones are more realistic. Wonderful sounding loudspeakers with right kind of good material, for example Diana Krall's "From this moment on" CD is sounding very impressive. But unfortunately, these loudspeakers are not for the todays rock/pop music.

I have a question related to damping/stuffing of the box. Do you guys have any tips how to get most impressive bass out of the box? I would myself prefer a little bit warmer/darker sound. Maybe a little bit extra boost to upper bass region. Is it possible by changing the amount of stuffing or stuffing material? How about the location of the stuffing, does it make any difference?
Old 26th February 2011, 12:18 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

To me playing with stuffing in an 8" sealed 2 way (6db tweeter) has only affected the voice (too much = bad and muffled), that begs the question, do we want some rear wave mixing through the cone ?

Anyway, I'd play with box distance to wall and also vary where you sit and how far away you sit.

Norman
Old 26th February 2011, 08:15 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

K R, fwiw i can only offer a guess at this point, that adjusting the stuffing won't do as much for you as a different box plan. I thinking Scott L.'s avebury* would be interesting if you have the space for it and the solstice** could have a different balance, or even the supper pencil 12 which goes lower so should help with the overall BW?
What troubles me about your experience is why the A12 wouldn't be good for today's rock/pop music even though more and more recordings are engineered with trumped up bass to thump the car doors and appeal to the masses. I'm very interested to read what Dave, Chris, Scott and Mark and others think about it.

*,**Woden Design | Mark Audio
Old 27th February 2011, 11:52 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp9 View Post
K R, fwiw i can only offer a guess at this point, that adjusting the stuffing won't do as much for you as a different box plan. I thinking Scott L.'s avebury* would be interesting if you have the space for it and the solstice** could have a different balance, or even the supper pencil 12 which goes lower so should help with the overall BW?
What troubles me about your experience is why the A12 wouldn't be good for today's rock/pop music even though more and more recordings are engineered with trumped up bass to thump the car doors and appeal to the masses. I'm very interested to read what Dave, Chris, Scott and Mark and others think about it.

*,**Woden Design | Mark Audio

Hi!

As Mark wroted earlier, alpairs are quite demanding loudspeaker elements, and they will bring everything into your face. So, if there are any mistakes in the source material you will hear it. I have quite a lot hard rock/heavy music, bands like iron maiden, etc. and many of those discs are sounding pretty ugly. Maybe there are better cd + amp. combinations for alpairs than Arcam + Vincent. But my combination can't be bad either, because most of the vocal jazz cd's are sounding absolutely amazing.
Old 27th February 2011, 07:53 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

K R, it could be more a driver size issue with the heavy metal/hard rock. There's allot going on in those recordings plus they tend to be very compressed (i think that's the correct way to describe it). Did your 8" tang band full range drivers do better with that genre?
Old 28th February 2011, 05:20 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp9 View Post
K R, it could be more a driver size issue with the heavy metal/hard rock. There's allot going on in those recordings plus they tend to be very compressed (i think that's the correct way to describe it). Did your 8" tang band full range drivers do better with that genre?
Yes, they do. I would say that 8" TB +Eminence 15A is a very universal loudspeaker. They will fit easily to any genre. They are not so detailed as Alpairs and they are more full bodied. Maybe thats why they fit better to rock music. Alpairs do much better in the midrange area. I hear more details, also the bass is more detailed.
Old 28th February 2011, 06:25 AM   #28
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Rider View Post
I have quite a lot hard rock/heavy music, bands like iron maiden, etc. and many of those discs are sounding pretty ugly.
For this kind of source i am apt to recommend a speaker with (at least) 2 EL70 per side.

dave
Old 28th February 2011, 08:42 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Top tip with Iron Maiden is to search through 2nd hand shops etc. & buy the non remastered CD albums from the early 1990s. The remasters have been so heavily compressed that they're ruined. The musicianship in 'Maiden is actually of a very high order indeed, but the almost complete destruction of the dynamic range in the remasters masks most of that, and causes a lot of the detail to vanish into a wall of noise.
Old 28th February 2011, 09:01 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Since the Woden Megalith cabinets have been mentioned, this seems like an opportune time to mention a few developments that are occuring at the moment.

Maeshowe has turned out better than even I anticipated; so much so that I have made the decision to transition the entire Megalith range (Dunideer excepted) over to this type of load. The Alpair 7 works well in Maeshowe, as any eagle-eyed types looking at pictures of last summer's VI diyfest may have spotted; Silbury and Avebury for the Alpair 10.2 and Alpair 12 have dedicated, larger variations of this general load type.

Hide this!Advertise here!