Dec 14, A10.2, A6p, A6m have hit Madisound - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 16th January 2011, 05:05 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
Dope the cones. I do that with the MCM 55-2421s that I'm in the habit of using.
Please DON'T "dope" CHP-70 cones (or Alpair 6P). These ultra-low mass cones only remain stable because of a binding agent embedded with the fibre. If an additional coating is added and there's an adverse reaction, kiss the drivers "good by", into the bin and forget about any warranty.

I've not designed these paper cones to take an additional coating in the form suggested. Both drivers rely on their power-train's retaining low mass since they are tolerance critical. CHP-70 and Alpair 6P drivers aren't big heffalump woofers where adding mass is less likely to affect performance.

The CHP-70's cone will resist temperature and humidity but the better choice for a car environment is the CHR-70. Its alloy cone won't be affected by typical conditions inside cars.

Thanks

Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 16th January 2011 at 08:48 AM. Reason: additional
Old 16th January 2011, 10:34 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,
I've 3 emails asking me about coating cones. I've not done any experiments using additional coatings on any Markaudio drivers. Dave (Planet 10) sent me pair of early Enabled CHR-70. I tested these against a non-treated CHR's and there was almost no difference between these drivers on the major parameters. Only a slight lowering of SPL. The Enabled drivers became part of a listening event here in HK. I'll try to find the time to look for the posts on this event.

Its worth talking to Dave on treating cones. His knowledge and experience is extensive.

In the meantime, as per my previous post, please don't paint dope over the CHP and Alp6P paper cones.

Thanks

Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 17th January 2011 at 01:02 AM.
Old 17th January 2011, 12:44 AM   #23
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I am very cautious with anything on the MA cones. The metal cones get a small amount of gloss after being spotted -- less than any of the Fostex for instance.

My only paper cone MA experience is with the EL70, and it responds very well to my treatment. Amount of coating is again kept small.

I will be tackling the A6P soon. I will be using even less material on them, and will be proceeding carefully, the 1st couple pair of drivers being considered expendable. I am in the process of getting 2 pair of boxes so that treated vrs untreated can be directly compared.

dave
Old 17th January 2011, 01:07 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Dave and me have talked about making a "special" treated driver (Planet 10 exclusive). Maybe there's time this year to make some progress on the idea.

Cheers Mark.
Old 17th January 2011, 02:48 AM   #25
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

There is a whole series of drivers in my head. Some work would need to be done to get them ready. And funding before that.

dave
Old 17th January 2011, 03:18 PM   #26
winslow is offline winslow  United States
diyAudio Member

What about a spray of Scotchgard?
Old 17th January 2011, 06:21 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winslow View Post
What about a spray of Scotchgard?
Hi Winslow,
Aside the risk of adverse reaction to the solvents involved and the added mass issue, its going to be near impossible to cover both sides of the cone with 100% certainty. Any small gap will expose the cone to its environment, defeating your objective.

Stick with your original idea of putting the CHP's behind a grille. Compared to allot of decent car drivers, they're moderately priced so its not the end of the world should you need to replace them every 3 years or so. If you live in a region where the weather's not too wide ranging or very humid and the car's interior is reasonable ventilated, chances are the drivers will have a normal service life.

I'm on record encouraging experimentation on several threads but this time trust me when I tell you "don't dope, spray, Scotchgard etc" (unless you're prepared to experiment and bin drivers).

Cheers,

Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 17th January 2011 at 06:25 PM. Reason: additional
Old 17th January 2011, 07:55 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Point taken.

I am hard headed and really want to try the paper out, but it might be too much squeezing a square peg through a round hole type of deal.

That and the A6.2s are the same price as the old A5s, and I have a feeling the new A6s are better than the A5s.

I might should just shoot you an email to keep the clutter down on the forum.
Old 17th January 2011, 11:17 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winslow View Post
Point taken.
I am hard headed and really want to try the paper out, but it might be too much squeezing a square peg through a round hole type of deal.
That and the A6.2s are the same price as the old A5s, and I have a feeling the new A6s are better than the A5s.
I might should just shoot you an email to keep the clutter down on the forum.
Hi Winslow,
We've water/humidity tested CHP/A6P cones. They are resistant (not impervious) so its not all bad news. But the safe bet for cars is CHR's and Alp6M's (or bigger Alps if there's room).

The new Alp6's are Gen 2 drivers while the Alp5's are Gen 1. I hope to be making Alp5 Gen 2's sometime this year but its dependent on a supportive bank manager (are there any?).

Please feel free to continue the chat on this section. How about starting a new thread (happy if you'd like to do this). I'd like to do more car audio this year so our sister company has just bought an old Hyundai Terracan. Its 10 years old with a "typical" sound system of that time. So I'll be taking the door cards off to start experimenting during the Chinese New Year holiday.

Cheers

Mark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg terracan-NS3799-2-sml.jpg (107.0 KB, 108 views)
Old 18th January 2011, 01:36 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

I think you would be surprised at how many people "untreated" drivers like ScanSpeak Revelators in their cars with no problems. I ran Audax PR170M0 midranges for a while that were untreated paper and foam surrounds without issues. Plus us car guys are a funny bunch...we'll change stuff every so often to keep the install fresh.

Hide this!Advertise here!