New box connector design - feedback needed - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 23rd November 2010, 02:45 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default New box connector design - feedback needed

Hi Guys,
Your feedback will be welcomed on this new design:

I've been busy developing a new box/cabinet connector design using OFC copper. Take a look at the pics, you'll see the copper (mid yellow colour) live inside moulded polycarbonate housings. The design is in the early stages. Here's my aims:

1 - Design/make a simple to fit, professional look connector set.
2 - Use pure OFC copper internally
3 - Offer choice of fitments

Taking these aims in their order:

1 - Many of the current choice of box connector sets strike me as cheap, not so easy to fit and the materials aren't so good. The alternative is pay allot of money for connectors that have some pedigree.
I've designed this set to be easy fit and easy to use. Only 2 holes needed to install the posts. There's no need to recess the optional dress plates.

2 - Pure gold plated OFC copper will be used inside the posts. This material is too soft to support itself, hence my design for a double injection system that seals the copper section inside a carbonate housing. These post housings are colour coded for easy wiring recognition.

3 - The round and square dress plates are optional. They'll be high quality moulded with a pattern finish. The posts can be used without these plates. So there's a choice of finish and looks.

I'd like feedback on:
a - The style and look, does this design with all its fit options appeal?
b - The post sizes and lengths. At the moment, the posts can handle wall thicknesses up to 25-mm (1"). Is this enough? I've red circled the critical dimensions for you all to view.
c - Internal wiring for the speaks. Is the design large enough? How many of you use push fit Lucar connectors rather than solder?
d - Cable hole dia, is currently 4.1-mm. Is this large enough?
e - We can mould the knobs is clear poly/silicate so the gold posts can show through.
f - Any other suggestions.

Cheers

Mark.
Attached Images
File Type: gif new-box-connectors3.gif (163.3 KB, 455 views)
File Type: gif new-box-connectors2.gif (156.9 KB, 450 views)
File Type: gif new-box-connectors1.gif (153.8 KB, 438 views)

Last edited by markaudio; 23rd November 2010 at 02:54 AM. Reason: additional
Old 23rd November 2010, 03:10 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
Hi Guys,
Your feedback will be welcomed on this new design:

f - Any other suggestions.

Cheers

Mark.
Provisions to use banana plugs?
Old 23rd November 2010, 03:17 AM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

1/ they won't accept bananas (standard 3/4" spacing)
2/ we prefer posts that do not stick out from the back of the box.

With the bezel they can be removed from the outside for soldering (most of our boxes do not allow access any other way). A built in gasket needed on bezel

As a purist connection with bare wire they are good. They could be a lot skinnier (smaller x-section on the copper) and would need to be convienent for use with small guage wire.

dave
Old 23rd November 2010, 03:29 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
Provisions to use banana plugs?
Hi B,
Some regions are banning the import of connector sets that can accept banana plugs. Some less experienced end-users have mistakenly pushed the bananas into the mains. You can guess the results.

I've opted for a 4.1-mm dia cable hole. Last time I checked, by banana set easily fitted into the cable section.

Thx
Mark.
Old 23rd November 2010, 03:37 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
1/ they won't accept bananas (standard 3/4" spacing)
2/ we prefer posts that do not stick out from the back of the box.
With the bezel they can be removed from the outside for soldering (most of our boxes do not allow access any other way). A built in gasket needed on bezel
As a purist connection with bare wire they are good. They could be a lot skinnier (smaller x-section on the copper) and would need to be convienent for use with small guage wire.

dave
1 - Send me a pic of the banana sets you're talking about. I've already tried my banana sets in the cable hole section, work OK.
2 - Needs more work-work skills to fit a recessed set so won't go this rout. I need to cover the costs so have to build for the majority of users.
Skinnier for copper? - No they can't, the material is soft so won't go skinnier.
Old 23rd November 2010, 03:39 AM   #6
sangram is offline sangram  India
diyAudio Member

With the way the short sloping bevel is, and given the material is plastic, will one get a good grip using just fingers?

I've seen some posts that provision for a #12 spanner by straight-lining two opposing edges, bare wire fittings tend to work loose if not fully tightened down. Also the knobs tend to be longer to enable a tight grip in most posts I've seen, maybe a centimeter is too little.

I like the ones with clear knobs, so you can see the copper through them.
Old 23rd November 2010, 03:49 AM   #7
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member

I could see buying them. Reminds me of a simplified version of the Eichmann Cable Pods i use, diff metal. I'm little concerned about the integrity of the fastener nut/bolt and like the idea of no solder, WBT comes to mind. Also wrt gold plating, i like the "thinned down" way Audioquest does it.
Old 23rd November 2010, 04:37 AM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
1 - Send me a pic of the banana sets you're talking about. I've already tried my banana sets in the cable hole section, work OK.
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Used for quick swaps (ie most of the time). If the nuts need to be tightened for a good fit that doesn't work either.

If we ever leave a speaker in place more or less permantly, we use bare wire. Any hole that will accomodate a banana won't be very friendly for 24 gauge wire.

Quote:
Skinnier for copper? - No they can't, the material is soft so won't go skinnier.
What about a torus (hollow shape filled with the poly carbonate). I believe the skinner the copper the better.

Quote:
so have to build for the majority of users
I get that... the pods could always be retrofitted into the connector cups we use, Goldwood RGT-5025. The terminals are easily upgraded.

We spent a LONG time getting to those as a good set of compromises including price, performance & the features we were looking for.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GoldwoodTerminals.jpg (14.5 KB, 121 views)
Old 23rd November 2010, 05:47 AM   #9
gooki is offline gooki  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

If they're not going to take banana plugs, then I'd prefer to see something like the speakon connectors. Lock fit, no way to wire out of phase, multi polled - up to 8 conductors (4 pairs) in one plug, consumer appropriate colour coding (bright blue plugs don't spell hifi).
Old 23rd November 2010, 09:12 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I've seen other EU hobbled connectors come with little bungs in the banana 4mm hole which need levering out with a tool. Keeps both camps happy then; the knowledge challenged have a harder time electrocuting themselves and aficionados can claim victory with a screwdriver.

Hide this!Advertise here!