New box connector design - feedback needed - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 23rd November 2010, 11:15 AM   #11
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

I'd suggest increasing the contact area for when using spades. See edited pic for details.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg n-b-c2 Shaun.jpg (81.3 KB, 260 views)
Old 27th November 2010, 02:55 AM   #12
MarkLai is offline MarkLai  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

I think it's no harm to have a hole at the "top" for a banana option. (Then,10 would be longer)
If the nut is plastic, it's better to make it thicker, say 8-10mm from 6mm. Also apply to the front thumb nut, say 15mm.
30mm at the back is too long. Most panels are 10mm thickness max. mostly if AL plate. It's better to save the metal to use at the front than at the back. (Raw metal would be 9-10mm copper rod) If use 10mm rod, it will have a flange for spades as Shaun suggested.
Old 27th November 2010, 10:41 AM   #13
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

Mark F,

If you would forgive me for my honest opinion, I think the use of too much visible plastic does not give it a hi-end feel.

Take a look at these :

All Binding Posts

and you will see what I mean.

You have a manufacturing cost advantage over the competition.
So use that and not be afraid to make something substantial and complicated.
And try to make the copper part after the cable entry point as uniform cross section as possible.

Patrick

PS Have talked to Jan on Wednesday. Pls email me. for details
Old 27th November 2010, 01:01 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUVL View Post
I think the use of too much visible plastic does not give it a hi-end feel.
Plastic and high-end look & feel are not necessarily mutually exclusive. It depends on the finish and quality of the plastic. If the plastic mold is worn and has lots of flash areas (those jutty bits of extra plastic) or if the seems are visible (where the mold parts meet) then, yes, it will look cheap. It also helps letting some gold-plated bits show.
Old 29th November 2010, 09:37 AM   #15
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkLai View Post
Most panels are 10mm thickness max
Tell that to an 18 or 22 mm plywood panel.

dave
Old 29th November 2010, 09:41 AM   #16
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUVL View Post
If you would forgive me for my honest opinion, I think the use of too much visible plastic does not give it a hi-end feel.
There is hi-end look, and then there is hi-end performance. The best connectors currently available (IMO) have very little metal & lots of plastic. (Eichman and WBT NextGen are 2 examples). If i have the choice between 2 connectors identical but for a plastic nut vrs a metal one, i'm getting the plastic one.

dave
Old 29th November 2010, 09:45 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

I like the grippy design of the knob.
Old 29th November 2010, 05:18 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

One other comment: I cannot rattle off the IEC spec but it appears that some modern posts meet this spec by not having any exposed metal, like the ones in the pic.

I don't know if you need or want to meet this spec, just throwing it out there...............
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5WAY_BPOSTS_GOLD_CLEAR.JPG (59.8 KB, 150 views)
Old 29th November 2010, 08:10 PM   #19
tresch is offline tresch  United States
diyAudio Member

personally... I can't stand that style of connector. From an ease-of-use standpoint they're terribly frustrating. That said, I use them all the time, because of their simplicity, cost, and reliability.

I have a set of cheap connectors I got from parts express that are spring loaded; you just press the connector in and it reveals the opening, and then springs back out to bind the wire in there. It's probably not scientifically optimal but they sure sound fine with my CHR-70 boxes and they're much easier to deal with than the screw-type. I'd love to see something similar in a higher-quality connector.

That, or something different altogether. Everything about the screw-type binding posts just bothers me. The angle the wire has to go in (sideways and usually at an odd angle,) you can very rarely actually see the hole you're trying to insert the wire into. Then the fact that you have to sit there and spin the thing clear out to get a wire in there, spin spin spin spin... test, nope need more opening, spin spin spin... while generally in an awkward position craning your neck behind some speakers or an amplifier... need I say more?

In conclusion: The world doesn't need another standard screw-type binding post. There has got to be a better, more elegant solution that still meets high-end standards.
Old 29th November 2010, 08:49 PM   #20
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tresch View Post
There has got to be a better, more elegant solution that still meets high-end standards.
Makes you wonder what could be done with the idea behind the plug-in connectors on the newest Alpairs.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!