Tokyo Audio shows Oct.2010 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 22nd October 2010, 04:37 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Tokyo Audio shows Oct.2010

Hi guys,
I had a great time guesting at the High-End and Vacuum Tube audio shows in Tokyo just after finishing the last batch of drivers. As you may imagine, it's been a busy time, the rest of October will also be a rush so please stick with me while I try to get every-thing done.

These 2 shows were well attended. There's a large thriving DIY and High-end audio community in Tokyo. These guys (and quite a number of ladies) take their hobby and music very seriously. I was made very welcome and shared more than a few beers with various dealers!

Markaudio was well represented in both shows. Looking around the Vacuum show, Markaudio drivers were on 3 booths, 2 of which were running the new Alpair 6 and Alpair 10 Gen. 2 drivers in listening rooms throughout the 2 days. For the first time, we competed with the big brand boys ad Rosenkranz, one of Japan's top end makers demonstrated their new Alpair 12 based vented design.

I've featured 3 interesting companies from both shows in the next post. I'm flying back to Tokyo for the next Audio show in early November.

Cheers

Mark.
Attached Images
File Type: gif shinkuukan-16.gif (49.2 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg Tokyo_h-end_oct2010.jpg (79.5 KB, 235 views)

Last edited by markaudio; 22nd October 2010 at 05:02 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 22nd October 2010, 04:38 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Mixel Sound. Toshio Moriyama San is a most interesting and imaginative cabinet maker. The kits he makes were on display and also being played in a listening room. His CNC'd kits are top quality, typical of the Japanese technical approach to accuracy. No guesses for me as an engineer for feeling right at home. Moriyama's Alpair 6P (paper cone) kit won my listener's hearts. I was pleasantly surprised how musical they were given the large listening area. For anyone starting up in DIY, his kits are a great way to get into DIY, and a wife/partner pleaser should they dislike "boxes".

Web site: ƒXƒsーƒJーŽゥ作ƒLƒbƒg・ƒtƒ‹ƒŒƒ“ƒW・“ニ‘n“IŒ`状
Email: moriyama12@mx-spk.com

Takahara: If you're into nicely made exotic horns, then Yamakoshi Maseo San is an extra-ordinary cabinet maker with skills beyond most others. His Alpair 10 Gen.2 double horn design is not only highly musical but a work of art.

Web site:ŽR‰z–リ工–[
Email: masao.y@sirus.ocn.en.jp

Rosenkranz:. As the name suggest, Shizuo Kaizaki San, founder of Kaiser Sound and the Rosenkranz brand is a exclusive top-line system maker in Japan. Interestingly, his son was is the guy who experimented with the Alpair 12 to produce this new vented design. It gave me much satisfaction to see the Alpair 12 compete with the "big brands" as the High-End show so I welcomed Shizou's confidence to introduce me to the audiences at this show.

Web site: www.rosenkranz-jp.com

Cheers

Mark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mixel.jpg (60.0 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg Tokyo_oct2010.jpg (81.0 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg alp-12_rosenk_oct2010.jpg (93.2 KB, 243 views)

Last edited by markaudio; 22nd October 2010 at 05:01 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 22nd October 2010, 05:25 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

While in Tokyo, I also met 2 guys who've given me much inspiration and encouragement.

Matsumoto San: is a member of DIY audio. Where to start? This man deserves "guru" status. Some of you may have read his blog. Sadly, we only had a few hours together and we ran right out of time. Put 2 engineers together and you can pretty much guess the content of the conversation. Matsumoto's San's attention to detail, particularly in assessing research into human-acoustic behavioural research is extensive. His mechanical knowledge of gas-flow properties in internal combustion systems is superb, as it should be given his time with Honda's Formula One racing team. I welcome Matsumoto San's encouragement and advice. I look forward to more conversations in the future.

Blog: LEANAUDIO: TOP PAGE

Ozawa San: . It was great to meet MJ Magazine's Alpair 12 tester and reviewer. Like Matsumoto san, Ozawa san knowledge is amazing. Sadly, there was only enough time to have lunch and talk for an hour or two. We could have done with 1 or 2 days! His practical build knowledge is considerable. Ozawa is in the early stages of making a plans book to be published by MJ magazine. I'll do my best to keep track of this book's progress as I'm sure it will be of much interest to many home builders.

Both these guys freely devote their time and experience for the benefit of all home builders and does much to explain why DIY speaker building in Japan is well supported and popular.

Cheers

Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 22nd October 2010 at 05:36 AM. Reason: typo fix
Old 22nd October 2010, 06:02 PM   #4
ejfud is online now ejfud  United States
diyAudio Member

Very cool stuff. Amazing quality in the DIY stuff coming out of Japan.

Hide this!Advertise here!