CSS FR125S, Alpair 7 & CSS EL70?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mark,

:confused:can you please tell me what are the audible sound differences between these 3 speakers CSS FR125S, EL70 or Alpair 7 if that is a fair question? I have read the favorable reviews on the Alpair but cannot find much on the CSS FR 125S full range drivers, will these do the job? The Alpair 7 is my first choice and I listen too a lot of classical chamber and symphonic music, jazz and some rock. I'm looking for a rich mid band substantial bass with air and detail up top ( Don't we all?). Speaker cabinets are flat OB's with Altec 416's. Room size is 13' x21' (please) any reccomendations or insights are welcome.

Thanks,

Ramon

Yes:eek:

A friend suggested I put this question to Mark. I appreciate your interest and respect your opinion Dave. I believe I am likely going to order the Alpair 7 today, but let me ask you this Dave, is there a new Alpair 7 that is slightly different in high frequency reproduction? And if so is that unit available in the states?

Ramon

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
There is an early version of the A7 and a new version. The ONLY difference between the 2 is the gasket. For the new version, Mark has come up with an absoulutely brilliant built-in gasket that completely redefines state of the art.

The A7s that Bob at CSS & that Madisound just received are all the new version (the 1st batch sold out so quickly you'd have to search hard, and get lucky to find a pair of the old ones)

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Maybe, Because the new gasket is injected into the cavities on the back of the bezel, it is a bit stiffer & a bit better damped. Whether that makes a significant difference once the driver is clamped to a baffle is questionable, but it never hurts and gives peace of mind.

As i said, given that being able to find ones without the super-gasket is highly unlikely, you are stuck with the newer ones that come with :)

dave

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.