CSS FR125S, Alpair 7 & CSS EL70? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 29th June 2010, 06:35 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default CSS FR125S, Alpair 7 & CSS EL70?

Mark,

can you please tell me what are the audible sound differences between these 3 speakers CSS FR125S, EL70 or Alpair 7 if that is a fair question? I have read the favorable reviews on the Alpair but cannot find much on the CSS FR 125S full range drivers, will these do the job? The Alpair 7 is my first choice and I listen too a lot of classical chamber and symphonic music, jazz and some rock. I'm looking for a rich mid band substantial bass with air and detail up top ( Don't we all?). Speaker cabinets are flat OB's with Altec 416's. Room size is 13' x21' (please) any reccomendations or insights are welcome.

Thanks,

Ramon
Old 29th June 2010, 08:35 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Somewhere recently i just commented on the same inquiry... instead of typing it over i'll just point you to that comment.

Note that if it were me, i'd find a way to afford the Alpair 7. It is a ground-breaking FR driver (along with A12). A true 9 octave capable driver with no audible faults.

dave
Old 29th June 2010, 09:14 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yes

A friend suggested I put this question to Mark. I appreciate your interest and respect your opinion Dave. I believe I am likely going to order the Alpair 7 today, but let me ask you this Dave, is there a new Alpair 7 that is slightly different in high frequency reproduction? And if so is that unit available in the states?

Ramon
Old 29th June 2010, 09:19 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

There is an early version of the A7 and a new version. The ONLY difference between the 2 is the gasket. For the new version, Mark has come up with an absoulutely brilliant built-in gasket that completely redefines state of the art.

The A7s that Bob at CSS & that Madisound just received are all the new version (the 1st batch sold out so quickly you'd have to search hard, and get lucky to find a pair of the old ones)

dave
Old 29th June 2010, 09:28 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Is there any audible difference between the two? Don't mean to be obsessive compulsive about this so please forgive my curiosity.

Ramon
Old 29th June 2010, 09:45 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Maybe, Because the new gasket is injected into the cavities on the back of the bezel, it is a bit stiffer & a bit better damped. Whether that makes a significant difference once the driver is clamped to a baffle is questionable, but it never hurts and gives peace of mind.

As i said, given that being able to find ones without the super-gasket is highly unlikely, you are stuck with the newer ones that come with

dave

dave
Old 29th June 2010, 09:51 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks Dave,

I will give the new one a shot and report back on how they sound with vintage restored Altec 416 drivers in an OB configuration.

Ramon

Hide this!Advertise here!