Material life-expectancy - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 24th June 2010, 04:30 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borispm View Post
Mark, thanks very much for your lesson. I think I can understand what you're saying now. I will try to be humble and read more before suggesting these.

I would however want to know why you would have given up on metal cones if the anodized layer can become thick though...

BTW, I've heard that the cone profile also affects the cone behaviour. Is the "exponential" profile more suitable as a full range driver than a straight profile one?
Boris, It's not about teaching you a "lesson" or trying to make you humble.

I'm trying to encourage you to be more investigative, learn more, further develop your knowledge base, then you'll be in a better position to make assessments.

It's been one of my issues that in Hong Kong, under-graduate and post-graduate education does not do enough to help students learn the powers of investigation. When I was a post-graduate in the UK, the first thing we were told was to: "make a contribution to original thinking". Its quite a challenge for students but a worthy one. It means you have to carefully propose any theory or ideas, offer testing and evaluative solutions to prove said theory/idea is viable; And VERY carefully evidence (et.al) your scholastic work.

You seem like a bright guy, a student with much potential, hence my efforts to get you to think more.

So, why have I given up on thicker coatings? Re-read my previous posts, there are several clues. Do some web research on acoustic emittance, cones and full range drivers. Come back to me on this thread with your findings and I'll help you further. But I want to see you try to figure out what a cone does and how it works.

Cheers

Mark.
Old 25th June 2010, 05:00 AM   #12
borispm is offline borispm  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to borispm
Mark, I think I know the answer now, please let me know if it's the correct one.
First, the anodized layer is hard but brittle so it will stop performing as a perfect piston at higher frequencies and is prone to have a breakup mode in those frequencies, something like 6kHz to 8kHz so that's why those deep anodized cones are usually used in woofers. (Just a conclusion after reading about the aluminium woofers from SEAS and peerless) Such peaks caused by the cone breakup mode is a nightmare for full range drivers. With a more elastic coating, there will be less ringing and softer peaks.

Best regards

Boris
Old 25th June 2010, 05:47 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I also say thanks for the information.

I just wanted some information about about the duration of drivers in general and about the ones I have already bought. Just in case my posting sounded derogatory, that was not my intention.

I am glad to hear that the ageing of your products is simulated.
Old 25th June 2010, 10:45 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairforce View Post
I also say thanks for the information.
I just wanted some information about about the duration of drivers in general and about the ones I have already bought. Just in case my posting sounded derogatory, that was not my intention. I am glad to hear that the ageing of your products is simulated.
No problem and understood.
Thanks
Mark.
Old 25th June 2010, 10:52 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borispm View Post
Mark, I think I know the answer now, please let me know if it's the correct one. First, the anodized layer is hard but brittle so it will stop performing as a perfect piston at higher frequencies and is prone to have a breakup mode in those frequencies, something like 6kHz to 8kHz so that's why those deep anodized cones are usually used in woofers. (Just a conclusion after reading about the aluminium woofers from SEAS and peerless) Such peaks caused by the cone breakup mode is a nightmare for full range drivers. With a more elastic coating, there will be less ringing and softer peaks.
Best regards
Boris
Hi Boris,
You're beginning to have an idea but you still need to go back to the primary form and function of a cone. Continue researching. Concentrate on the physical properties that a full range cone needs to have in order to function.
Cheers
Mark.

Hide this!Advertise here!