Will there ever be etc. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 23rd June 2010, 01:19 PM   #1
DaveCan is offline DaveCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Will there ever be etc.

Hi Mark,

I was wondering if you have any future plans to produce a high sens driver like 95db + ,to compete with the better fullrange drivers like Lowther , Fostex etc..

A nice paper coned high sens driver would be a great addition to all your low sens offerings, for us few watt users...

It would be cool to see your take on a high sens paper coned (no metal please) full range driver. I'm sure there would be quite the market for it if the price is reasonable and you work your best effort.. Seems that's what is missing in your lineup in my opinion...

Anyhow just a thought,

Very best,

Dave...

Last edited by DaveCan; 23rd June 2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 24th June 2010, 02:40 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCan View Post
Hi Mark,

I was wondering if you have any future plans to produce a high sens driver like 95db + ,to compete with the better fullrange drivers like Lowther , Fostex etc..
A nice paper coned high sens driver would be a great addition to all your low sens offerings, for us few watt users...

It would be cool to see your take on a high sens paper coned (no metal please) full range driver. I'm sure there would be quite the market for it if the price is reasonable and you work your best effort.. Seems that's what is missing in your lineup in my opinion...
Anyhow just a thought,
Very best,
Dave...
Hi Dave,
Many thanks for this thread. First off, I'm going to take issue (nicely) with you over the word "better". I'm not sure why you assume that a driver with an efficiency of +95dB is "better" as you put it. The last thing I'll accept is that the makers you mention are "better". Their drivers are different from mine; A more accurate assessment of the commercial situation.

A driver that's highly efficient has to pay a price. Typically, drivers in this category don't handle any power. Their LF responses are very limited as their linear excursion is restricted and they may in some cases conflicting resonance patterns.

I certainly don't agree with you on the issue of metal cones. If designed and made to close engineering tolerances, metal alloys offer some of the best emittance characteristics for a given mass-load. I don't say this lightly since I've already made 2 paper drivers (CHP-70 and EL-70) and I'm in the process of refining a paper Alpair 6. It's "each to their own" when it comes down to materials preferences and we should encourage materials choice.

Buying a high efficiency full range driver is not a "better" choice, but could be a decision based on design criteria. For example, high efficiency FR drivers way well suit a DIYer who .........
1 - owns low power amplification
2 - desires to build horns
3 - likes high efficiency driver emittance characteristics

The questions for me are.......
1 - can I afford to commit resources to designing and producing a driver in this particular category?
2 - will I survive financially if I do?

Ummmmph.

Cheers

Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 24th June 2010 at 05:17 PM. Reason: typo mending
Old 24th June 2010, 09:39 PM   #3
DaveCan is offline DaveCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hey Mark thanks for the reply

I should have used the word "popular" instead of better I think... I was just meaning to ask if you were thinking on doing something with high sens, so to have a competing product in the higher sens category to the others that are high sens, like Lowther, Fostex , PHY etc.. Yes there is that whole cone debate too lol, but as you mentioned each to their own..

I can totally understand the risk of the financial outlay, and one would surely hope that you could reap the rewards of a nicely designed high sens driver (paper cone lol) if you decided to try to have a go at it etc.. One never knows though like in any business venture, so I can dig where you're at

Very best,
Dave...
Old 24th June 2010, 10:59 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCan View Post
Hey Mark thanks for the reply

I should have used the word "popular" instead of better I think... I was just meaning to ask if you were thinking on doing something with high sens, so to have a competing product in the higher sens category to the others that are high sens, like Lowther, Fostex , PHY etc.. Yes there is that whole cone debate too lol, but as you mentioned each to their own..

I can totally understand the risk of the financial outlay, and one would surely hope that you could reap the rewards of a nicely designed high sens driver (paper cone lol) if you decided to try to have a go at it etc.. One never knows though like in any business venture, so I can dig where you're at
Very best,
Dave...
Hi Dave,
Yup, if the world economy was in better shape, I'd be tempted to have a go a making higher (+92dB) sensitivity drivers. The challenge would be interesting given my passion for linearity on extended excursion. I quite like to the "push the envelope". Sadly, committing additional resources at this time is a risky business while I'm in the process of developing Gen 2 Alpair 6 and Alpair 10 drivers. These models are already costing allot of development money.
Cheers
Mark.

Hide this!Advertise here!