PVC Alpair 6 Pensil - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 26th June 2010, 11:15 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

That make sense... Rabbitz mentioned that there could be boost around 800Hz), even with a thick felt liner.

But I don't know how the Alpair 7 sound in a "normal" enclosure; maybe there's not much difference. I would have to build a Pensil 7 to compare (and or measure the frequency response, something that, as a newbie, I'm not yet familiar with).

Do you think that :
- this could be fixed with DRC or passive EQ?
- these internal reflections can cause some sort of distortion?

Thanks for your help.
Old 27th June 2010, 01:59 AM   #12
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

It is not a problem that can be fixed with EQ. Any chance of fitting a bigger initial section? I'd think 6" ID would be a minimum...

dave
Old 27th June 2010, 03:45 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

6" ABS fittings are very expensive, and it would require some sort of baffle.; I'd rather build a wooden enclosure... So I'll just live with the problem and compensate with EQ until I can do better.
Merci!
Old 27th June 2010, 03:55 AM   #14
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

When you move the A7 into a better box, you can always recycle these by using a smaller driver...

dave
Old 27th June 2010, 03:59 AM   #15
BudP is offline BudP  United States
diyAudio Member

What would be an ideal wooden enclosure size, if it were to have a transmission line made out of ABS pipe attached and used as part of the stand?

I have some smallish, to be more precise, 0.19 cuft internal volume (329 cu in) left over from a JBL model 5 with a 5" woofer and a tweeter, nicely finished cabinets and will shortly have some EnABL'd Alpair 7 drivers and with their xmax it intuitively seems a good match.

Bud

Last edited by BudP; 27th June 2010 at 04:29 AM.
Old 27th June 2010, 05:47 AM   #16
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudP View Post
will shortly have some EnABL'd Alpair 7 drivers
Bud,

Good, you got the drivers i had Bob send... a bit of a pleasant surprise (i hope)?

dave

PS: Still haven't got mine that were to have left same time.
Old 27th June 2010, 05:54 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

The very reason for the query. Tap test has found a need for nine rings across the driver, including two on the mounting fascia and two on the center dome. I intend to look for the most needed, as some of the changes are more dramatic than others and I worry about picking the phase up and bringing it out in front, on the top end, ala soongsc's original, many rings test, soooooo long ago now.

I could just put them in these boxes, which have a port tuned to a 5 inch (alleged) driver and see what happens, but I would be more happy with something that produces bass that suits the already crisp clean sound.

Bud
Old 27th June 2010, 06:06 AM   #18
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

When Chris found out i'd sent them, he said "Bud is gonna need a box for those "

We are doing a 2nd rev of the fonken-like enclosure for them now.

Let us know what you need enclosure wise.

One needs to be really gentle when tap testing these.

We are lobbying for a driver without the add-on bezel cover so that the transition from the surround over the bezel to the box is basically flat.

Despite the big bezel the driver is a nominal 4"

dave
Old 27th June 2010, 07:07 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Actually, anything you might have that will work well with the driver. If you are in the midst of designing / making them, I can just treat the drivers and bring them to the show.

The tap test was done with no force at all, just enough local sound to determine when the direction of emission changed. The tool was small, light and gently curved. There are no surface marks at all ,even under 7X jewelers glasses.

Bud

Hide this!Advertise here!