Packaging and shipping suggestion - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 10th May 2010, 05:29 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Packaging and shipping suggestion

I received a pair of CHR-70 today, shipped from Hong Kong. They had been opened by NZ customs for inspection and I can only guess that the damage I found was was done there... One of the drivers had a small indentation in the cone alongside the surround, the other a fine line in the cone near one edge. I think I have managed to deal with this, but wanted to suggest the following...

Somehow seal the drivers to dissuade close physical inspection.

Include a clear warning note not to handle or touch the cones due to risk of damage.
Old 10th May 2010, 05:33 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Repairing minor cone damage

I have attempted to fix the damage mentioned above by gently pressing up from underneath the small dent in the cone with the eraser on the end of a pencil. This lifted the cone very slightly above the surrounding surface. I then gently smoothed it from above with the eraser until the cone surface was smooth, level and uniform.

It did the same for the slight line in the other cone, only more gently. This too is essentially gone (erased!)

I guess the CHR cones are a little stronger than on the Alpair series, so imagine this process might not be applicable there.
Old 10th May 2010, 06:07 AM   #3
CLS is offline CLS  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Warning marking should be essential.

Years ago, a friend ordered a replacement diaphragm of TAD2002 (yes, Be), and it was destroyed by a crude finger. He said to me, "it looked just like a piece of broken egg shell, being pushed and cracked right at the center of the dome...."

Dxxn those costom officers!
Old 11th May 2010, 09:45 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Thanks for the comments and that is something that we will take on board for future shipments.
Old 11th May 2010, 10:06 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Mark, wouldn't an optional and removable protection grid be a nice addon to your drivers ?

This would prevent small (and big) fingers to poke into the delicate cone. Something like Accuton do for their 5 inchers :
accuton® Carefully selected loudspeaker drivers.

My 2 cents...

Hide this!Advertise here!