Pensil 7 (Alpair 7) - Page 14 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 25th March 2012, 04:03 PM   #131
diyAudio Member

In my experience, if the speakers are positioned too close to the "back wall" or actually in the corners, the image, soundstage and depth are compromised quite a bit. Have you considered a sub to handle the deeper bass?
Old 25th March 2012, 05:14 PM   #132
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your replies,

I do already use a REL Q150E sub, so yes that is an option. my source is an apple tv2/dacmagic and amp is a marantz pm6004.

Are you saying that I'd be better off with a smaller speaker and sub, rather than a full range speaker with the bass reduced?

Cheers,

Martin
Old 25th March 2012, 07:18 PM   #133
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinHyde View Post
Are you saying that I'd be better off with a smaller speaker and sub, rather than a full range speaker with the bass reduced?
Depends. As a generalization it has greater potential. 2 subs/woofers are better than 1. If you only have one, you need to XO lower.

This is the kind of role that my miniOnken are designed for in an ideal situation.

dave
Old 26th March 2012, 06:20 PM   #134
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks for your replies,

I do already use a REL Q150E sub, so yes that is an option. my source is an apple tv2/dacmagic and amp is a marantz pm6004.

Cheers,

Martin

A quick look at the operators manual for your REL sub shows the upper limit of the "roll-off" control is 100Hz. This is certainly around the range at which the 7.3 benefits from the relief of heavy lifting - but they would need independent HP filtering for best effect.

Since the PM6004 lacks a pre-out / main-in loop (a feature with the PM8004 does have and which on any integrated amp or receiver garners the benefit of flexibility ), I assume you're using the REL's high level inputs. The HP filtering for the Alpairs could be achieve with a simple passive filter, but at these frequencies, the values of components can get rather high, and the Alpairs are more than discriminating enough to warrant the use of film rather than EL caps
Old 26th March 2012, 06:54 PM   #135
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info, sounds like loads of tweaking fun could be had

I am indeed using the RELs high level input and it's very easy to adjust it to blend seamlessly with the main speakers. I'm quite happy to play with crossovers to roll the bass off from the main drivers.

Another question I had was about the general speaker balance And dynamics - I'm after something that's smooth sounding, not too forward and in your face. Dynamic and full bodied, but not fatiguing when listening for extended periods. Do you know what I mean?

Any comments about this? Is this something that can be tuned in?

Cheers, Martin
Old 26th March 2012, 07:10 PM   #136
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info, sounds like loads of tweaking fun could be had

I am indeed using the RELs high level input and it's very easy to adjust it to blend seamlessly with the main speakers. I'm quite happy to play with crossovers to roll the bass off from the main drivers.

Another question I had was about the general speaker balance And dynamics - I'm after something that's smooth sounding, not too forward and in your face. Dynamic and full bodied, but not fatiguing when listening for extended periods. Do you know what I mean?

Any comments about this? Is this something that can be tuned in?

Cheers, Martin

sounds like regardless of final decision on enclosure style the Alpair7.3 should definitely be on your list of candidates - of the several types I've built for this driver, the Pensil is certainly the easiest
Old 14th April 2012, 10:18 AM   #137
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your help - I'm almost ready to go with my pensils.

I did however discover that the CHP 70 was available too, which, according to the info available, gives a smoother, more rounded "vintage" sound. Does this mean dull-sounding? I really want something that's not harsh sounding.

This maybe one to consider too?

also, being paper coned, would be more family friendly and cheaper too.

My question is, could this unit be used in the same enclosure as the alpair 7.3? or do i need to look at another design?

Sorry for all the questions,

Martin
Old 14th April 2012, 11:40 AM   #138
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Martin,

The CHP-70.2 has a rolled off top and warmer sound. Cannot comment on if it is dull or not, as I have not listened to it yet. The CHP-70 Gen 1 had a "normal" top, and is now discontinued - but Blueplanetacoustic still might have some stock. I have a pair and it sounds pretty balanced to me.

The Alp 7.3 has more to offer when it comes to top end extension and resolution. Separation of instruments and mid-range clarity are very impressive, and in the right enclosure adequate bottom end for smaller rooms. One of Mark's gems.

Paper cone drivers are more forgiving in general.

The Pensil's are a pretty easy build (the holey bracing is the toughest part ) and sound good too (I had a Super Pensil 12). The Pensil for Alp 7.3 is slightly shallower vs the ones for CHP-70.2 - height and width is same.

-Zia
Old 14th May 2013, 12:27 AM   #139
diyAudio Member

Default Pensil 7 Measurements

I'm reporting back on the build I did a couple of years ago. Two sets of measurements.

Attached here are a couple showing low frequency performance of the Pensil 7. One shows LF at the cone, the other the LF measured in the port. The dB levels are uncalibrated, and cannot be directly related from one graph to the other. It is obvious though why this design is capable of decent LF extension.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pensil7_LF.jpg (150.9 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg pensil7_Port.jpg (140.1 KB, 278 views)
Old 14th May 2013, 12:29 AM   #140
diyAudio Member

This pair of measurements are done in room using pink noise. The software was Room Eq Wizard (REW) and it was set at 1/24 octave. The room is by no means an ideal one, but the response is very good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pensil 7 left.jpg (97.0 KB, 277 views)
File Type: jpg pensil 7 right.jpg (98.8 KB, 263 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!