Pensil 7 (Alpair 7) - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 6th December 2011, 05:55 PM   #121
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Golfnut... you have a FAST experiment sitting in front of you. Jerry-rig the KEFs as woofers, use a PLLXO.

On the oak -- as long as the "ringing like a bell" is at highish frequencies it is usually not an issue. The question is, does the music excite the resonance?

dave
Old 6th December 2011, 06:50 PM   #122
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Golfnut... you have a FAST experiment sitting in front of you. Jerry-rig the KEFs as woofers, use a PLLXO.

On the oak -- as long as the "ringing like a bell" is at highish frequencies it is usually not an issue. The question is, does the music excite the resonance?

dave

moreover, does the music excite the listener(s)? - sorry couldn't resist the lob
Old 6th December 2011, 07:17 PM   #123
golfnut is offline golfnut  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Chrisb

Yes, this is first FR project - sort of. I'm building FR ESLs as replacement for the KEFs - very low WAF. Plan was to move the KEFs to TV room - but they have a larger footprint than desired for TV - Pensils seemed a good alternative, a nice simple experiment, and a better fit with oak furniture.

With the exception of a few CDs with a lot of bass content, I find the SPL of the pensils perfectly satisfactory for most of my listening - in medium sized room, and I have no plans for home theatre. If I was to consider another project then the A7s with active crossovers to a smallish long throw woofer would be the way to go. I'm a bit low on brownie points at moment so another project is probably not a good idea. In any case, I need to finish the ESLs.

Planet10

Absolutely correct. The tiles made the big difference. The narrow dimensions of the Pensils also stiffen the cabinet a lot once the back is on.

Chrisb: also correct - new life in old CDs! Not sure the wife is so fussed - happy to listen through a sofa.

regards
Old 6th December 2011, 07:24 PM   #124
murio is offline murio  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Hy guys! Here is apicture of just finished alpair 7! The first it was pensil design but i change it to br. because the bass was not the best. I dont know why! I have a solid setup at my place! Even i tried three diferrent rooms! And always it had the same unplesant resonance! Maybe i didnt play them enough because just couple of days ago i noticed that the sound sitt on his place! Anyway in br. they are playing excelent. The sound is cristall clear and you can hear every detail! It is the best speaker i have build so far. Mabe sometimes the treble is little stronger than the rest of the spectrum. (But that is only sometimes). I think with new one that is corrected! All i can say that they are magnificent drivers and that they worth every penny! Cheers!
Old 7th December 2011, 11:58 AM   #125
diyAudio Member

DSCN3509.jpg
Old 7th December 2011, 12:18 PM   #126
diyAudio Member

Here is couple more pictures!DSCN3516.jpg

DSCN3479.jpg

DSCN3511.jpg
Old 7th December 2011, 12:43 PM   #127
jimbro is offline jimbro  United States
diyAudio Member

Beautiful job Murio. I always like two tone speakers.
Old 8th December 2011, 06:18 PM   #128
diyAudio Member

Thanks Jimbro! I like them wery much.
Old 25th March 2012, 08:43 AM   #129
diyAudio Member

Hi all,

I'm interested in building a pair of pencils with the alpair 7 drivers as a first diy project.

I was wondering if they are suitable for positioning close to a back wall in a corner setup.

I'm worried that the bass will be too much. Any thoughts?

Many thanks, Martin
Old 25th March 2012, 09:05 AM   #130
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

In the Pensils you can tune the bass with the amount of stuffing, you'd likely need more than usual.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!