Pensil 7 (Alpair 7) - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 1st November 2011, 07:22 PM   #111
murio is offline murio  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Hi guys, Mark! Can anyone tell me is it ok to fill pensil 7 with sheep's wool instead of polyfill. Because i ve heard that sheeps wool is the best for damping speakers and i can easy get some!
Old 1st November 2011, 09:10 PM   #112
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murio View Post
Hi guys, Mark! Can anyone tell me is it ok to fill pensil 7 with sheep's wool instead of polyfill. Because i ve heard that sheeps wool is the best for damping speakers and i can easy get some!

once fully cleaned and carded to uniform density (not as easy as it sounds), raw wool is fine, but you'll probably need to adjust fill levels by ear
Old 1st November 2011, 09:38 PM   #113
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
once fully cleaned and carded to uniform density (not as easy as it sounds), raw wool is fine, but you'll probably need to adjust fill levels by ear
And worry about moths & it sagging. When i used it, i mixed it about 1/2 with poly fluff so that it had greater staying power.

dave
Old 1st November 2011, 10:34 PM   #114
murio is offline murio  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys!
Old 21st November 2011, 07:32 PM   #115
diyAudio Member

Hi all, this has been asked before i guess but i can't seem to find an answer.. I would like the pensil's to be be a bit shorter, say around 75 cm's. Is that possible if i keep the driver's distance to the top, and the width and depth dimensions the same? Or would that totally change the design idea?
Old 21st November 2011, 07:51 PM   #116
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The length of the line (ie height) is critical. If you want a smaller cabinet, you'll need to look elsewhere.

dave
Old 21st November 2011, 08:06 PM   #117
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
The length of the line (ie height) is critical. If you want a smaller cabinet, you'll need to look elsewhere.

dave

There are more than a few excellent candidates, for example the monopole MT @ page 6 of
http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeaker...aps-150909.pdf

might be worth considering - as an ML-TL, the overall height or driver location shouldn't be fiddled with, but at 784mm might be a lot closer to your target?

If not, then there are also so excellent stand mounted "mini" monitors
Old 24th November 2011, 01:24 AM   #118
diyAudio Member

Thanks Chris! Still a bit more height than i would like so will look further into the stand mount options. Decisions..
Old 6th December 2011, 09:08 AM   #119
golfnut is offline golfnut  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Hi All (first post)

I needed smallish speakers with high WAF - Pensil 7 seemed good candidate - photo of speakers attached. The speaker to the side is a KEF CS 7 - 3-way constructor series uses B139, B110, T33.

I have set the front baffle ~ 7 mm proud of the sides, for a number of reasons - firstly it provides a space to recess the bulk of a frame for a grill, secondly, I thought the leaving the front proud + rounding the edges of the baffle + rounding the sides would smear out diffraction effects, finally , I dont like the aesthetics of the original. The baffle has ~ 3 mm radius, the sides a 9 mm radius.

The american oak is probably not ideal as a cabinet material - rang like a bell before I lined it with ceramic wall tiles and screwed the back on. I have about 0.75 kg of fibre in each - a bit more than design to compensate the loss in volume with cleats on all joins and the tiles. Can just feel the vibrations in the cabinet when they are running. I was surprised, but perhaps spoiled by the KEFs. The midrange and tweeter in the KEFs is in a separate box within the main cabinet - a technique to keep in mind?

When I first turned them on I was a little surprised - they were not as clear as I expected. However they improved rapidly over a few hours. I had run them in while they were in their cardboard box for 120 -150 hours using the tuner and had got them up to a level that I would listen to the radio - quieter perhaps than I would listen to music. So perhaps they just need a bit of a stretch at higher volumes.

I am amazed at the range of this little drive unit.

The speakers have breathed life into quite a number of my CDs. I'm not sure if they're as good as I remember the Quad ESLs - I used to have a pair BW (before wife) - perhaps there is just a touch of unwanted sibalance at highest frequencies - but way better than the KEFs in the tops. There are a couple of CDs that I've always had question marks about - very heavily orchestrated and I always wondered if the recording was bad or the KEFs had a bit too much distortion. With these speakers the mud has gone.

There are a couple of CDs that are very dissapointing with the pensils - bad recordings I expect.

On the downside, as amazing as they are, there is hole in the bass end - no house shaking - nothing you can feel. Also on some male voices the timber has changed noticably. On a couple of CDs (Jacques Lousier especially), alot of the music (double bass and drums ) has all but dissappeared, although there is a lot of cone movement - they're definitely displacement rather than rms watts limited.

Whats really interesting that with the tuner on (band limited in bass and treble), the KEFs and the Pensils sound very very similar.

Overall, they are fantastic little neighbour friendly speakers (no bass transmitted through walls). Actually, theyr'e not that little - I had expected something a little smaller.

I would be really curious about running the alpair 7s as AS ( 6 liter) or BR ( 11 liter) in conjunction with a 6" or 8" BR or T-line woofer cutting in below 150-200 Hz, with the alpair in its own box within the main cabinet, as with the KEFs, to prevent the secondary radiation.

best wishes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pensil 7s.jpg (292.1 KB, 502 views)
Old 6th December 2011, 05:50 PM   #120
diyAudio Member

golfnut - those are cute

You didn't mention if this is your first single driver/FR speaker, but it will certainly be a major change in direction from a 30/40(?) yo KEF kit.

The A7 is certainly quite revealing of recording and equipment qualities .

Depending on room size / application and playing levels, you could possibly get away with crossing over to woofer(s) even lower than 150-200HZ - an example I often cite is a "typical" small room HT system with bass management. In my case the Denon receiver includes Audyssey system with calibrated microphone which makes setting levels of the 5.1 channels a breeze, and recommends XO points depending on the "size" of speaker set earlier. With Alpair7 in the front row and A6metals in rear, I found that 110 and 120 respectively was sufficient. There are dual corner mounted woofer enclosures.

OTOH, if you're talking about a new enclosure for a 2 channel system with the 7s and woofer - which has been described as FAST, and are needing higher SPL from a single pair than would be the case in a 5 or 7.1 or 9.2,. or whatever's next, then an even higher XO (circa 300-350) might be more appropriate. The big issue of course at such an XO is selection of bass drivers that blend seamlessly with the widebands.

Hide this!Advertise here!