Pensil 7 (Alpair 7) - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 10th October 2011, 01:48 AM   #91
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

As long as pipe cross-section, height, Zd, and port area & depth remain the same it should be fine.

dave
Old 10th October 2011, 12:25 PM   #92
Goto is offline Goto  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio Au View Post
This was the idea, keeping the pencils, internal dimensions, port size etc.

Simply a starting point, if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears.

Click the image to open in full size.
Once you have the CNC files, turning a kit of parts out would be pretty straightforward - I'd probably buy a set.

Nice project.

Mark
Old 10th October 2011, 08:55 PM   #93
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goto View Post
Once you have the CNC files, turning a kit of parts out would be pretty straightforward - I'd probably buy a set.
Do keep in mind that to go commercial would require permission from Mark, i'm sure he would give that readily, and a one-time commercial licence fee to MJK.

dave
Old 11th October 2011, 04:23 PM   #94
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
This was the idea, keeping the pencils, internal dimensions, port size etc.

Simply a starting point, if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears.

elegant shape

echo the points on registration via dowels, randomization of internal surfaces, etc.

also - at least part of front baffle needs to be removable for builders' access to install / adjust damping fill levels (threaded insert fittings?)

consider a few bracing struts

dare I say, don't use MDF?

this will be far more costly to machine, package and ship than you might think
Old 11th October 2011, 06:12 PM   #95
diyAudio Member

Does the effort warrant a fresh design, anyone wishing to collaborate.

The pencils seemed a great starting point, perhaps improvements can be made?
Old 11th October 2011, 06:29 PM   #96
diyAudio Member

Have you considered building a Pensil 7 on top of a box with the woofer? That would leave the Pensil 7 in tact, raise the driver to above ear level (my personal preference) and give you a chance to add some bass reinforcement (with the right crossover).
Old 11th October 2011, 08:17 PM   #97
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Does the effort warrant a fresh design, anyone wishing to collaborate.

The pencils seemed a great starting point, perhaps improvements can be made?

Keep in mind that the Pensil format was intended to be easy for a DIY to fabricate with a minimum of elaborate tooling.

I can assure you the author has penned more complicated designs, and wouldn't be surprised if their operating principles or critical features had been misunderstood and second-guessed by builders' modifications, with possible deleterious results.
Old 11th October 2011, 08:27 PM   #98
diyAudio Member

If you are considering the A7 as the mid-tweet over a real woofer, then you sure don't want to do a MLTL for the A7. You will want to cross the A7 anywhere between 100-300Hz. I like 120Hz (partly room related), I hear 160Hz. Perhaps you will finally choose something else. In any case, the simplest solution is a small (4L) sealed box. The downside of a sealed box is the impedance peak is in the XO range making a passive XO a nightmare. If active, no big deal. For passive, a better choice might be an overly large box, say 10L and then put a 20Ω resistor in parallel with the driver.

Bob
Old 11th October 2011, 09:03 PM   #99
jimbro is offline jimbro  United States
diyAudio Member

Consider that there might be some times when you want to listen fullrange without the woofers so the pensil (or ?) would be nice to have. You may try a special amp you want to hear on it's own for example.
Old 11th October 2011, 09:18 PM   #100
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brines View Post
If you are considering the A7 as the mid-tweet over a real woofer, then you sure don't want to do a MLTL for the A7. You will want to cross the A7 anywhere between 100-300Hz. I like 120Hz (partly room related), I hear 160Hz. Perhaps you will finally choose something else. In any case, the simplest solution is a small (4L) sealed box. The downside of a sealed box is the impedance peak is in the XO range making a passive XO a nightmare. If active, no big deal. For passive, a better choice might be an overly large box, say 10L and then put a 20Ω resistor in parallel with the driver.
For the A7 FAST i am designing, i am using an aperiodic TL. It will be active, but the ATL does a good job of reducing the impedance peak. My XO will be 160-250 Hz (200 Hz is the target based on current box dimensions).

Here is the impedance of an unboxed FF85, and in the ATL we used in Tysen

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!