BB4-AL, Germany's new CHR. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 1st June 2010, 10:34 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahranna View Post
Hi Mark, thanks for your reply.
How does this increase in constant linear oscillation affect the "sonic síde of the tweak"? Does the Omnes CHP sonically act in the same way like the bb4?
Good question. Longer mechanical oscillations are slightly more efficient on BB4 and CHP-70. The difference from the CHR-70 is minor but each little tweak in usually worth having. Sonically, the tweak gives these driver slightly more low range (LF) capability (depending on box optimisation). For example, an orchestra's or band's large percussion (drums) will be reproduced slightly more accurately.
The tweak doesn't turn these drivers automatically into mini-woofs, but it does mean they are bass capable in a suitable box design. There's potential for driver and system to reasonably operate down to around the mid 30-Hz.

There's allot of chat on this subject on:

My CHR-70+DSP Linkwitz Transform experiment (4" driver playing flat to 20hz!)

Cheers

Mark
Old 26th September 2010, 10:50 PM   #12
nolby is offline nolby  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
Hi Guys,
It's a busy day. Here's first build pics of the BB4-AL, Germany's version of the CHR-70 with an all-black satin finish cone and cap (sexy).
Are the BB4-AL "all–new CHR–70" or old ones?

Nolberto
Old 27th September 2010, 02:16 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolby View Post
Are the BB4-AL "all–new CHR–70" or old ones?
Nolberto
I mean...
The BB4.AL are 2gen 2010 CHR-70's?

I asked (and payed) for a pair of CHR-70 *BlackCap* in a site in Germany (spectrumaudio) but they send me the *Black* ones (BB4.AL).

Besides color (I can live with a black cone) I would like to know th differences between speakers in order to get them back or not.

Your answers wil be really appreciated.

Nolberto
Old 29th September 2010, 10:28 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolby View Post
I mean...
The BB4.AL are 2gen 2010 CHR-70's?
I asked (and payed) for a pair of CHR-70 *BlackCap* in a site in Germany (spectrumaudio) but they send me the *Black* ones (BB4.AL).
Besides color (I can live with a black cone) I would like to know th differences between speakers in order to get them back or not.
Your answers wil be really appreciated.
Nolberto
Hi Nolberto,
BB4 and CHR-70 Gen 2 were made at the time, same production run sharing same components apart from the rear suspension. On the BB4, there's slightly lower Fo (2 Hz) from my memory. I was particularly pleased with the BB4 when I made this model for Germany. Put them is a nice box, powered from a nice amp and good source, and you'll hear what I suggesting.
Cheers
Mark.
Old 10th October 2010, 12:09 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Default Calcs

Hello everyone!

As my nick already implies I'm from Germany
I just ordered a pair of those MA's and I'm now planning the cabinet. My dealer suggests this enclosure http://oaudio.de/media/products/c8eaf646cc564e379a2.pdf but I will use subwoofers so I won't prefer this design.

My software suggests a 11.7 liter(0.413 cu.ft) bass-reflex enclosure. It's a round vent and with a diameter of 4.5cm (0.148ft) and a length of 13.1cm (0.430 ft.) so tuning freq. should be approx. 50hz.

I used this TSP:

Fs68 HZ Re3,6 Ohm Vas4,2 l. Qts0,55 Qms2,0 Qes0,75 Sd50 cm² Mms4,68 g x-max4,5 mm SPL84,5 dBBl 2.99 T/M
Levc 0.43 mH

This data is provided by my dealer and I took the "BL" and "Levc" from the Markaudio CHP-70 as is was missing from the data of the Omnes Audio.

Could my calculations be correct ?

Greetings, alex
Old 2nd February 2011, 12:49 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

I like a lot the sound of this bb4.al
I use them with an amp based on thipath 2024 chip, and most of the time the volume is ok, but some times I need more power, so I will upgrade my amp.
Here the question: which is the max watts input this drivers can bear?

Nolberto
Old 2nd February 2011, 08:36 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

I've ordered a pair from Europe. Can someone assist with the exact dimensions - it seems that the attached file lack some info. Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NeedleDeluxe CHR-70.pdf (7.8 KB, 62 views)
Old 2nd February 2011, 09:52 PM   #18
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johancraftech View Post
I've ordered a pair from Europe. Can someone assist with the exact dimensions - it seems that the attached file lack some info. Thanks

Well perhaps you'll note the C (opyright) on plans - so they may be protective of the exact internal details

Let's assume that the BB4-AL and CHR70 are close enough in T/S parameters to be interchangeable?

There are plenty of very good performing free-ware designs for the Mark Audio drivers, notable among floorstanders are Scott Lindgren's Pensil series

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeaker...aps-211010.pdf

as well as the Frugel-horn 3

Frugel-Horn Mk3

and

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeaker...aps-150909.pdf

For stand mount mini-monitor/ bookshelf application, there are also numerous designs beyond a simple ported enclosure- some hosted on the box plans library page at commercial site listed below.
Old 3rd February 2011, 05:36 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Thanks chrisb for pointing that out. For other readers please ignore my question. Maybe it's time for me to start learning how to design TL's.
Old 26th July 2011, 01:24 PM   #20
Juicie is offline Juicie  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I've just received a pair of the BB4.AL Grey. They are on sale at oaudio. What is the best sounding small desktop design for this driver. And would it be possible to leave out any filtering.

Last edited by Juicie; 26th July 2011 at 01:40 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!