Alpair 6 - Gen 2. - Prototype 1 - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 6th September 2010, 11:25 PM   #31
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey Mark,

I have a pair of your old alpair 6. I just now tried them on an OB setup, with the eminence alpha15 propping up the low end below 150 Hz. The alpairs need a little EQ to bring up the low end, however, they are set up on temporary baffles and probably would do better on a properly designed baffle.

I usually run a pair on AN8s in this setup and they are great drivers. The alpairs though acquitted themselves quite well. The smooth response of the alpairs was a definite plus. Voices and instruments were good. The obvious limitation is the SPL. With EQ and the OB, the cones were ready to launch themselves on loud passages. I even tortured the little guys with some Led Zepp. I must say, I enjoyed myself listening to the music.

I might give the bigger cousins a try some time. Any plans for raising the efficiency of the big boys -10, 12?
Old 7th September 2010, 10:40 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra7 View Post
Hey Mark,

I have a pair of your old alpair 6. I just now tried them on an OB setup, with the eminence alpha15 propping up the low end below 150 Hz. The alpairs need a little EQ to bring up the low end, however, they are set up on temporary baffles and probably would do better on a properly designed baffle.

I usually run a pair on AN8s in this setup and they are great drivers. The alpairs though acquitted themselves quite well. The smooth response of the alpairs was a definite plus. Voices and instruments were good. The obvious limitation is the SPL. With EQ and the OB, the cones were ready to launch themselves on loud passages. I even tortured the little guys with some Led Zepp. I must say, I enjoyed myself listening to the music.

I might give the bigger cousins a try some time. Any plans for raising the efficiency of the big boys -10, 12?
Hi Ra,
Glad you're enjoying the Alp6's. They can do a reasonable bass given their small size but there will be limits. The Alp6 Gen 2. models will be interesting, a bit more SPL and the choice of metal or paper cones. New suspensions and up-graded coils.

Alp 10 Gen 2. also ready to build. Lots of up-grades on this driver so will interesting to see what audio folks think.

Cheers

Mark.
Old 17th September 2010, 11:04 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,
Here we go. Kick-off for the final assembly of Alpair 6 metal and Alpair 6 paper drivers commences this Monday 20th September. Should complete with the week.

Will try to post activity reports from the Mat Corp factory.

Cheers

Mark.
Old 25th September 2010, 09:58 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,
We're almost finished. Apologies for not posting reports to date. it's been a very hectic week. We've had just about every challenge thrown at us including errant glue machines, power cuts and a flood to name a few. Anyway, its Sunday so we're final prepping all the drivers and packing today. They should ship out to Hong Kong docks this Wednesday, onwards to dealers from there.

Taniguchi san has been taking many photos so I'll post some of his in the week. I'm going to try to make a short video showing what's new. I'll attempt to do this soonest possible.

Not sure if its better to start a new thread?

Cheers

Mark.
Old 12th October 2010, 01:51 PM   #35
MarkLai is offline MarkLai  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Default Aplair6 G2 compared to Gen1

My first impression of the Alpair6 Gen2 Paper cone. (see attached photo, the upper is Gen2)
Amp. is a Gainclone. CD player is HP970 modified. The room is a Hong Kong typical 120 Sq. feet seating room.
Both drivers used the same box from EUVL. (6.5L BR)
The old Gen1 has a filter installed. The Gen2 has no filter and brand new.
I only listened both for 2 hours with vocals and mid/low volume only.
Mark F doesn't lie. The Gen2 really has more SPL.
The Gen2 has clearer and more depth for mid to high.
At the moment, the Gen1 gives more base and lower frequency. I know it is not fare to comment base at the moment as the Gen2 needs to burnt-in. Also the box and the BR pipe has not been tune to the Gen2 yet.
Mark F, I wish you can publish the production T/s parameter of this Alpair6 Gen2 a.s.a.p.
I like this A6 Gen2 anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alpair6 Gen2 and Gen1.jpg (693.3 KB, 429 views)
Old 12th October 2010, 02:17 PM   #36
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

Only if he could make it in gold colour !!!

Patrick
Old 6th November 2010, 11:25 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Updates? I'm considering getting the current Alpair 6, but will wait if the Gen 2 are actually imminent.
Old 7th November 2010, 12:45 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

ra7,

What is the size of the open baffle you have the alpair 6 on ?
Is the driver offset ?

I'm thinking of a low volume setup with the new 10's on a 3' wide baffle (no crossover).........

Norman
Old 7th November 2010, 01:22 AM   #39
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuliu View Post
Updates? I'm considering getting the current Alpair 6, but will wait if the Gen 2 are actually imminent.
Should be on the boat by now. Madisound should have them early December.

dave
Old 7th November 2010, 05:53 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

planet10, got the alp 10 gen 2?

Norman

Hide this!Advertise here!