Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 3rd July 2010, 11:45 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

I look forward to the opinions.

The copper cap, eventhough it acts as a shorting ring for distortion, may sound worse due to the weaker qts, and thusly less detail and dynamics due to a weaker grip on the cone. I'd imagine you'd need a stronger motor to offset the copper cap.

I know I perfer a stronger qts on woofers (within reason near .32).

I love the crazy setups with gear and speakers piled up everywhere.

Norman

Last edited by norman bates; 4th July 2010 at 12:00 AM.
Old 6th July 2010, 03:39 AM   #22
goneill is offline goneill  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

The testing for the Alpair6 drivers seemed to produce a much clearer result than the Alpair10 test. On the 10s we could see why somebody might prefer one type of winding to the other, or why the rest of their system might make one driver sound better.

But with the 6s it seemed much clearer which we all preferred.

Having said that it was an interesting test as we tried one of the drivers (the copper cap one I think) in two different cabinets. One looked like a small ported box - the brown, driverless pair in the front of the photo above. It was beautifully made and sounded pretty good, but the other (on top of the stand in the photo) sounded much better. It was vented at the base so looked like a small version of my Pencils but Mark said there was a baffle inside too. This produced a much fuller sound that was really impressive for such a small driver without making it sound at all muddy or bloated.

Comparing the two versions of the 6s was then done using the vented cabinet. We started with the copper cap version and I was surprised at how good the sound was. It was nicely balanced with decent bass and clear treble and would be perfect for a high end small office/room/desktop system.

When we swapped to the no copper cap version I found the results a little disappointing. The higher frequencies were quite rolled off so it seemed rather flat. Compared to typical commercial speakers of it's size I'm sure it would score very well, but having just listened to the cap version it really didn't sound very special at all. (Sorry, Mark!).

On the Alpair10s I could see a good reason to produce both models but, personally, for the 6s I felt the copper capped version sounded so much better than the non-capped one that I'm not sure it would make sense producing both. Maybe there are different setups or applications where the non-capped version would have an advantage, but in the setup we used (the vented box with a lower power tube amp) I would definitely choose the capped version.
Old 7th July 2010, 02:06 PM   #23
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

MF,

Looks like you guys are having real fun.
Maybe see you in HK in October ?

Cheers,
Patrick
Old 8th July 2010, 08:50 AM   #24
MarkLai is offline MarkLai  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Patrick,
I'm looking forward to see you in Oct too.
May be we can have some fun to have some G2 listening over MF's place with my Ikea sphere or your A6 BR boxes! : )
Mark Lai
Old 9th July 2010, 12:28 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Hi Patrick, Mark L,
Sure, look forward to meeting up again.
Cheers
Mark.
Old 25th July 2010, 12:27 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,
We are in the final stages prior to pre-production:

Power train - front centre assembly:
We are experimenting (thanks to Taniguchi san) with a change to the assembly cycle, whereby we can glue both the cone neck to the coil former and simultaneously fix the centre cap. To do this, we have to finalise a set of tools that allow us to more accurately hold the power-train in position while this single adhesion process is completed. If successful, the benefit will be more accurate delivery of glue volume on to the inner front of the power-train.

Coils:
Of interest, the final coil mass for the Alpair 6 drivers has now been fixed:
Alpair 6 - paper cone model:
CCAW coil with 4 X 2-mm venting = 0.85g +/- 0.05g

Alpair 6 - metal cone model:
Copper coil with 4 X 4-mm venting = 1.29g +/- 0.06g

Cones -coil combinations
A6 Metal driver.
The micro-resonance pattern of the metal A6 cone has a in-built HF lift in the 9 to 15-kHz region so we expect the latest copper coil (Matsubara san) to cancel-out most of the rise. We shall try CCAW coils to observe the difference, but its not expected to be the preferred partner for the metal cone. The metal cone model is unlikely to have a copper cap on the pole section, the emphasis is to stay near faithful to the smooth near flat response of the much liked A6 Gen.1 driver.

A6 Paper driver.
Its a different ball-game with this driver, given most of the power-train's components will be lighter. This cone has a fascinating set of micro-resonance characteristics, in particular the HF response is near flat, tailing off at around 18/19-kHz. The CCAW coil will be deployed to increase HF lift, widen the band width and sweeten the high range. This design approach offers more choice over the use of the wider off-axis characteristics.

Testing, so far so good...........
For those guys on flea amps, the A6 paper driver maybe your first choice as it should come in around 86 to 87dB. Anything around 2 watts should be more than satisfactory. We ares still final tweaking fibre density, looks like a value of 0.36 to 0.4 should be the best balance. The beta testers listened to 0.38's the other week, liking them much. Scott has road-tested these sample drivers, see his comments earlier on this thread.

Those guys with a bit more power on tap may like the metal cone driver. Much like the Gen 1 model, this one much "flying off" the drawing board. The pre-production samples are very smooth and sweet; While the paper is dynamics and detail. Voice in particular is paper dry but not harsh.

Its going to be interesting to see which guys go for which drivers. If you're like me, you'll be swopping between the two types quite often.

More news on this later.

Cheers

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alpair6.xls-20100725-054647.jpg (73.6 KB, 423 views)
Old 31st August 2010, 11:06 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

any new news here ?

Norman
Old 1st September 2010, 11:16 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman bates View Post
any new news here ?
Norman
Hi Norman, Guys,
Sorry for the lack of up-dates. I'm recovering from an operation to remove a tumour. Hopefully, nothing too serious but its taking a bit longer to sort out with help from the docs than originally anticipated.

I've managed several trips to component factories (don't tell the doc), happy with the quality apart from the T yoke. Have binned 3 sets of production samples and kicked bottom (I think that's the expression?). New tooling to tolerance is now complete so we should get this component in time for the final assembly.

Meanwhile, materials and components are arriving at the factory as per schedule. All being well, I will commence final assembly of Alp 6 and Alp 10's week commencing 13th Sept.

Will keep you all posted.

Cheers

Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 1st September 2010 at 11:18 PM. Reason: typo mending
Old 2nd September 2010, 05:24 AM   #29
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

Speedy recovery, don't work too hard.

And see you soon,
Patrick
Old 6th September 2010, 11:00 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUVL View Post
Speedy recovery, don't work too hard.
And see you soon,
Patrick
Many thanks Patrick, see you when come into HK.
Cheers
Mark.

Hide this!Advertise here!