off-the-shelf amplifier suggestions for Alpairs - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 31st January 2010, 07:33 PM   #11
tdr1213 is offline tdr1213  United States
diyAudio Member

Lots of great info. Thanks all! l will research out these amps and prices and see what I can do.

tim
Old 31st January 2010, 08:04 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Good luck with whatever you decide upon. If you can handle the DIY approach, that's where your best performance / lies, although there are several good commercial suggestions here.
Old 1st February 2010, 02:34 AM   #13
tdr1213 is offline tdr1213  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
Good luck with whatever you decide upon. If you can handle the DIY approach, that's where your best performance / lies, although there are several good commercial suggestions here.
I am not sure what kind of trouble I'm gonna get myself into - but I want to try the diy route. Now I'm tryng to discern which amp in the suggestion list is the best value for the dollar. Reading and learning a lot.

tim
Old 1st February 2010, 03:23 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Hi Tim,
A quick note to wish you all the best. As you're going DIY, I'd suggest looking for a simple project since its your first attempt. Possibly Dave's and Scott's ideas may be the best rout. Or Michael at Ampslab. Its good idea to pick your MA driver choice. As a starting guide:

Alpair 10 and 12 - look at: 8 watts or more on tube SET, 12 watts or more on tube push-pull. 30 watts up on most solid state.

We've been driving new Proto Alpair-10's that have light-mass coils with ease on a Tetrode 4 Watt 6V6 from Tony Wong. But I'm still experimenting so it's not a given that these coils will find there way into production:

Alpair 10 - Generation 2 - sneak peek

Tubes are really nice, lots of vintage choices but you might want to think about investing a bit more money if you go this rout.

You might want to seek more in-depth advice from the Amps section of this forum: Amplifiers - diyAudio

Cheers,

Mark.
Old 1st February 2010, 07:58 AM   #15
Henkjan is offline Henkjan  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I would also like to add the UcD amps (class D). I have made an active loudspeaker with the Alpair5 (supported by a bass) that used the Hypex UcD and the result was excelent, never heard so much details in music before. I used a plate amp type (2 channel amp with DSP). But there are build your self sets available that do not require a lot of electronics skills except connecting the right wires

But on the other hand, the small monitors I made with the CHR70 never sounded better than on a tube amp (sorry, I forgot which, I tried them on a DIY event)... Also a friend tested my Alpair10 horns on his tube amps and loved them. So Alpair and tubes do go together very well..

Just make sure that whatever amp you choose, that it is capable of reproducing the fine details of music very well, for otherwise you're not getting the most out of the Alpairs. I once read an excelent article by Menno van der Veen on this, explaining what designs in tube amps would influence this, it was in the dutch Elektor magazine. If this cannot be assured from design or independent reviews and/or user experiences, the best is to test them once you have youre speakers ready.
Old 2nd June 2010, 07:13 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

My Alpair 7's are sounding very promising in a run-in test cab at the moment via my Dayens Ampino so can also recommend this combo.
Old 7th June 2010, 07:55 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkjan View Post
I would also like to add the UcD amps (class D).
guys, any of you has experience with the apogee DDX amps? a board to experiment with can be obtained quite cheaply and it will do 50W with direct digital input, so no DAC no cd-player thing to care about, i was contemplating them for the alpair-10.

Hide this!Advertise here!