The future for driver data - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 1st March 2010, 07:38 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Hi Mark

I think I sent already this answer but I cannot see it, strange.

Any way, what I'd like to see at least is the frequency resoponse graph to the 0 deg, 20 deg and 60deg angels. Please not smooth the graps too much.

The off axis responses tells much about the element capability to work in normal room with reflections. The most important thing is that the off axis radiation is smooth. It probably slopes down with frequency but it should not have huge drops or peaks.

Non smoothed response tells about the actual quality of the element. If there are narrow peaks it is sign about the resonances. Very raw looking graph on upper freq. range tells much how clear the sound could be.
It may be risk to publish responses but note that most of the elements are used by DIYers and when we anyway measure the elements and publish results in foorums around the globe.
In the full range elements there are always "errors" in the responce but what kind of and where is the key. For example, many Seas Excel series elements have terrible response but they are still good and valued elements.
Old 1st March 2010, 08:18 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Hi Electron,
I moved yours and my posts to the Tweeter thread:
Mark's proto 6.5" Woofer, 1" silk Tweet combo

Thx

Mark.
Old 2nd March 2010, 07:16 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
Hi Electron,
I moved yours and my posts to the Tweeter thread:
Mark's proto 6.5" Woofer, 1" silk Tweet combo

Thx

Mark.
Hi Mark

All the time I wrote about the the biggest Alpair full range speaker not about tweeter. I used "tweeter" term as tweeter range (5k-20k).
Old 2nd March 2010, 08:40 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Hi Electron,

Arrrrh...... now I understand. I was confused by the use of the word "tweeter".

Yes agreed, it's important to have more data for the better drivers. I've just received the independent review of the Alp12 in Japan's MJ magazine. It's helped me because I'm flat out getting ready for new production.

I'll do my best to publish soonest possible. There's allot of data including off-axis (from my memory).

Cheers

Mark.
Old 3rd March 2010, 08:22 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
Hi Electron,

Arrrrh...... now I understand. I was confused by the use of the word "tweeter".

Yes agreed, it's important to have more data for the better drivers. I've just received the independent review of the Alp12 in Japan's MJ magazine. It's helped me because I'm flat out getting ready for new production.

I'll do my best to publish soonest possible. There's allot of data including off-axis (from my memory).
It was my fault. I used wrong wording, sorry.

Hmm... new production... sounds interesting Are there any changes in models or do you mean pure manufacturing?

Btw, one interesting driver (also from business point of view) could be tweeter with integrated waveguide just like new Seas models. The tweeter integration to mid range driver is difficult if just trying to fit 1" done and 6" mid. It just does no work in normal room without waveguide. THe tweeter radiates to too wide angle on the xover region compared to mid driver (no matter what is selected xover frequency. This leads to typical 80's desing error where powere response has wide peak on lower treble and if side walls are closer than 2m the sound will be hard and metallic no matter what you do. This often happens on presens range and then it also destroys the accuracy in the sound field as well as it makes the frequency responce on the listening position +-10db zik-zak on that range and even worse the spectrum of first arriving sound is totally different than when the reflections from walls arrives and corrupts the sounds.
This is btw, one reason why full rangers sound so good. There is no stupid design fault in off axes radiation.
The wide and soft wave guide solves the problem plus it adjust the the time difference between mid and tweeter. (which is another reason why full rangers sound so good.)
Old 3rd March 2010, 10:34 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Hi Electron,
Here's the off-axis graphs from the Alpair 12 review in MJ Magazine in Japan. Its interesting to note the off axis comparison between the Diatone P-610 driver and the Alpair 12.

The off axis results for the Alpair 12 are very encouraging. There's allot of flexibility with Alp12 driver allowing users to "tune" the high range either by filter or by arranging the axis of choice by positioning the cabinets. I usually set my Alpair 12 cabs around 10 degrees off-axis to maintain the highs all the way to 20-kHz.

I like to take this opportunity to thank MJ Magazine and Ozawa Takahisa San for granting permission for the use of this data, and for the publication of an English version of their Alpair 12 test review. We hope to complete the translation in the next month. It's challenging to find a translator with enough technical knowledge to cope with the terms in the review. Copyright of the graphs and PDF page belongs to MJ magazine.

Cheers

Mark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MJ_Mar2010_p55.pdf.jpg (35.5 KB, 44 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MJ_Mar2010_p52.pdf (144.6 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by markaudio; 3rd March 2010 at 10:43 PM. Reason: additional info.

Hide this!Advertise here!