Alpair 10 - Generation 2 - sneak peek - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 11th January 2010, 02:20 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Alpair 10 - Generation 2 - sneak peek

Hi Guys,
A sneak peek at some of the work going on to up-grade the Alpair 10

1 - Spiders. Ultra light - composite weave rear suspensions from Tadashi Matsubara san. Note the paper background can be seen through the material. The results so far indicate an increase in mechanical stability under higher X loads.

2 - Coils. three hybrid wire types. The lightest of the trio reduces the net load mass by 2.3 grams. Expected MMS load reduction to be 0.5 to 0.9g

3 - Proto's 1 and 2. The pic shows the new multiform cone with its U-cap. Its design is an all-new profile. The cone has a larger outer radii to increase dispersion. I'll publish T/S results in the coming days

Have fun!

Mark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alp10_spider1.jpg (88.1 KB, 2164 views)
File Type: jpg Alp10_coils1.jpg (68.6 KB, 2088 views)
File Type: jpg Alp10_proto1_2.jpg (84.1 KB, 2094 views)

Last edited by markaudio; 11th January 2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11th January 2010, 03:29 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

What's the ETA for this gen 2?
Old 11th January 2010, 03:38 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Errrrh, good question.

But seriously, I hope to be finished experimenting by mid March so into production by April. But I'm pushing the material performance envelopes so I'll be running additional durability tests.

Cheers

Mark.
Old 12th January 2010, 03:28 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I listened Alpair 10 Generation 1. The sound is very good already. I still remember it performed Stravinsky's The Fire Bird. Expect Generation 2 will perform much better than 1.
Old 12th January 2010, 10:20 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

If I know Mark, I suspect he's aiming for reduced distortion / improved detail & dispersion, as noted, while retaining the existing Alpair 10's forgiving character, with a nice, smooth top end. The reduced powertrain mass is a bonus. Time will tell no doubt.
Old 13th January 2010, 01:57 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Here's the comparison frequency spreads between the existing Alpair 10 and what will be generation 2 drivers. A reminder that this is RAW data of the A10-CCAW prototype V a stock Alpair 10.

Things to note:
1 - There's a slight gain in average efficiency across the range by 0.7dB.
2 - The HF response has more gain, for all those who want a bit more "sparkle" this should be to your liking.

The graph only tells the technical. We did a listening test at the factory. 3 tech's stood inside the sound test room with me. Their opinions are the proto exhibits trends similar to Alpair 7 and 12 - better dynamics, more happening at the top end, clearer imagery. That's much what I expected given the run of production for Multiform cones, Matsubara San's and Liu Yi Pings more recent contributions.

I'm feeling happier but there's more work to do.

Cheers

Mark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alp_10)new.jpg (60.8 KB, 1976 views)

Last edited by markaudio; 13th January 2010 at 05:17 AM. Reason: Typo mending
Old 24th January 2010, 09:41 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I think the high end rise is not a problem due to the room effects (lack of dispersion).

I'd recommend playing with copper caps on the pole piece, they help reduce distortion and smooth impedence plot.

Yea, a strong magnet helps improve detail, but then you lose bass.........

Norman
Old 24th January 2010, 11:20 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman bates View Post
I think the high end rise is not a problem due to the room effects (lack of dispersion). I'd recommend playing with copper caps on the pole piece, they help reduce distortion and smooth impedence plot. Yea, a strong magnet helps improve detail, but then you lose bass.........
Norman
Hi Norman,
Thanks for the suggestions. Actually, the first generation Alpair 10 has a copper cap and this model has inherited this feature. I've tweaked the HF performance (cone, cap and coil doing this work) in response to feedback from the first model 10. Personally I like the flatter response of the current driver but for some, it can sound a bit "flat" in some room and system set-ups. Like the Alpair 7 and 12, having a bit more happening at the HF range appeals to more folks. It should afford more opportunity of pointing the drivers out more (off axis) for those that like me, enjoy a slightly more laid-back sound while classic lovers may position more on axis for extra "ting" in the orchestra's high percussion.

We found the new drivers easier to set-up in our studio. We drive them on Tony's Wong's tiny 4 watt single ender with sweet results. The power-train's weight saving efforts have made the new A10 easier to drive. At the other end of the amp scale, we drove them on my Sansui AU-aDR907, very clean and tight sound within the drivers power handling limits.

Cheers

Mark.

Cheers,

Mark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC4395_EL84SE_sml.jpg (43.3 KB, 1739 views)
File Type: jpeg au-alpha907dr.JPG.jpeg (42.1 KB, 383 views)

Last edited by markaudio; 24th January 2010 at 11:24 AM. Reason: typo mending
Old 24th January 2010, 12:57 PM   #9
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

So it there going to be an AP5 Gen 2, or there is already one ?

Patrick
Old 24th January 2010, 07:23 PM   #10
pinobot is offline pinobot  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Next month there is a AP10 in Klang+Ton.
Things move so fast they can't keep up.

Hide this!Advertise here!