Alpair 10 - Generation 2 - sneak peek - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 17th September 2010, 11:05 PM   #91
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,
Here we go. Kick off for the final assembly of Alpair 10 commences this Monday 20th September. Should complete with the week.

Will try to post activity reports from the Mat Corp factory.

Cheers

Mark.
Old 25th September 2010, 09:55 PM   #92
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,
We're almost finished. Apologies for not posting reports to date. it's been a very hectic week. We've had just about every challenge thrown at us including errant glue machines, power cuts and a flood to name a few. Anyway, its Sunday so we're final prepping all the drivers and packing today. They should ship out to Hong Kong docks this Wednesday, onwards to dealers from there.

Taniguchi san has been taking many photos so I'll post some of his in the week. I'm going to try to make a short video showing what's new. I'll attempt to do this soonest possible.

Not sure if its better to start a new thread?

Cheers

Mark.
Old 26th September 2010, 11:21 PM   #93
dwb2 is offline dwb2  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Alpair 10 availability

Sounds good Mark!

Ever since I overloaded my pair of gen1s I have been waiting for the gen2s. What do you think availability will be in the US?

Also, BTW, after some over-zealous rocking out by my good wife (my fault that they we not properly installed yet and didn't warn her) I noticed that my 10s had developed a series of radial ruptures aroung the edges of the cones. I thought they would be unplayable, BUT for the most part they still sound good. Distortion is only noticeable at higher SPLs and at certain frequencies. Hard to say how this may be effecting their overall performance, but even with this significant amount of damage they do real well.

Cheers!
Old 28th September 2010, 07:22 AM   #94
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwb2 View Post
Sounds good Mark!

Ever since I overloaded my pair of gen1s I have been waiting for the gen2s. What do you think availability will be in the US?
Cheers!
Hi Dw,
Gen 2 CHR's are already in the US. Give Madisound a call:

https://www.madisound.com/store/prod...oducts_id=8860
https://www.madisound.com/store/prod...oducts_id=8859

Cheers
Mark
Old 28th September 2010, 07:30 PM   #95
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member

Is the Silbury still suited for the A10 Gen II, also wrt "modest", what are the minimum room size and listening distance's?
Old 29th September 2010, 03:25 AM   #96
diyAudio Member

Post #63, is that the freq response measured infinite baffle ?
Does bass climb, that would make baffle step easier do deal with ?
If it is (as it is on that post), we could get away with a box face barely large enough for the driver (least until 300hz).

Could we see an Impedance plot ?

I'm itching to put one in an open baffle, acually an open backed box.
Same dimensions as mjk and his lowther, 2' wide x 4' tall x 1' deep, covering inside walls with foam and maybe 3" foam covering the back. Centered, it should go flat in room to close to 150hz (Feq around 180hz, no baffle step needed). Maybe cover the front baffle (facing us) with thick foam also, that is an aweful large reflective surface.

Norman

Last edited by norman bates; 29th September 2010 at 03:27 AM.
Old 30th September 2010, 12:55 PM   #97
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Nothing wrong with a FAST. (i'm working on an A7 + 4 7" per side, XO 125-250 Hz). Releiving the FR of bass duty sweetens the mids as well as giving a really solid bass foundation.

A small sealed box will give a 2nd order rolloff but i don't think you can get one small enuff to get it up to 500 Hz -- and a box that small could really congest the mids. It will also have a big bump just above roll-off.

For instance A7 in a sealed Q=0.707 box (13.5 litre) has an F3 of 85 Hz. Then a 1st order PLLXO could be added at the same frequency to give a 3rd order roll-off.

2 litre gives a Q-1.215 with about a 3dB bump at ~150 Hz. One could put an XO (for practical purposes way better to be active) up higher than this and roll off the bump up.

if you want to XO that high (i'd suggest crossing lower) you will need filters.

dave
Sorry, I dont follow: what is a FAST; and why an "A7 + 4 7 inch" per side: are the 4 * 7" for the bass, wired in eg series - parallel?
Old 30th September 2010, 01:29 PM   #98
diyAudio Member

I found out that FAST = fullrange assisted by subwoofer technology . .
and the 4 * 7"? Two 7 inchers a side, in series - parallel?
Old 30th September 2010, 04:07 PM   #99
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

4 7" per side, in an arrangement similar to the KEF Blade. This project is meant to be a statement kind of thing ... something you'd find at the local hifi emprioum for well in excess of $10k

dave
Old 2nd October 2010, 12:40 AM   #100
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
4 7" per side, in an arrangement similar to the KEF Blade. This project is meant to be a statement kind of thing ... something you'd find at the local hifi emprioum for well in excess of $10k
Would be a statement alright.
There are 4 a side in Joe Rassmesssun's Elsinore, in series - parallel

Is that how you intend wiring them?

Hide this!Advertise here!