Alpair 7 - 10 Litre BR Tower plan - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 5th January 2010, 02:45 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Alpair 7 - 10 Litre BR Tower plan

Happy New Year to Alpair 7 folks,

I've been asked to publish a simple tower BR plan using 1 X Alpair 7 driver. Take a look at the attached plan for a 900-mm tall slim tower. There's a dividing section just below mid way that makes up the volume in the top half of the cab. Its position can be adjusted to change the working volume but I'd generally suggest staying around 10 litres. This volume should be a reasonable compromise between range and power handling.

20-mm panel thickness should be good, either in MDF or marine ply.

There's an access panel in the lower portion of the cab. While it's necessary to include this item, its handy for mounting connectors any optional filtering. A bag of sand place in the base will made the cab more stable.

The port's tuning frequency is 46Hz, F3 cut-off is 39Hz.

Cheers

Mark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alp7_Twr_plan_sml1.jpg (226.3 KB, 1222 views)

Last edited by markaudio; 5th January 2010 at 02:55 AM.
Old 5th January 2010, 05:07 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi Mark,

This is a very good and beautiful design. I want to make and try.

Tony

Last edited by markaudio; 6th January 2010 at 09:11 AM.
Old 31st January 2010, 08:26 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Mark and others

I was wondering if anyone could give me answer to this:

Is this a Bass Reflex enclosure?

Click the image to open in full size.

Danny
Old 31st January 2010, 08:40 PM   #4
pinobot is offline pinobot  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Depends on how long it is. :P

this might help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_resonance

Last edited by pinobot; 31st January 2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 7th February 2010, 06:34 PM   #5
MarioE is offline MarioE  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Hi Mark,

Does this plan not need a filter like a Frequency Response Leveller? I thought it was needful, especially in BR with fullrange drivers?
Old 7th February 2010, 07:05 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Not if used in a modest space & reasonably near a rear wall. That's what the lift in the lower midrange / upper bass is for in the driver's FR; helps to correct for step-loss.

Mark, to prevent the need for answering the same question many times over, one thought that comes to mind is the possibility of adding a few lines to the driver data-sheets explaining the response-shaping of the driver.
Old 10th March 2010, 08:52 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Mark I think you have both this enclosure and the Pensil 7 enclosure running with 7's installed. I've just bought a pair of 7's and will build one or other enclosure. Which one??
Old 11th March 2010, 05:25 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzagazza View Post
Mark I think you have both this enclosure and the Pensil 7 enclosure running with 7's installed. I've just bought a pair of 7's and will build one or other enclosure. Which one??
Hi Gazz,
I'm currently enjoying the Pencil 7's. I'm also a BR sort of fella. I'd suggest going along the lines of using the Pencil 7 design for bigger room volumes, say 3 X 4 metres up. You can adjust the amount of damping material in the Pencils making it reasonably easy to room-tune. For smaller rooms, possibly I'd stick with BR between 6 to 10 litres, but this is personal choice rather than anything technical.

I think Dave (Planet 10) is working on a nice Fonken for the Alp-7's. This could be very interesting as a build project.

Cheers

Mark.
Old 11th March 2010, 05:51 AM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post

I think Dave (Planet 10) is working on a nice Fonken for the Alp-7's. This could be very interesting as a build project.
The dMar-Ken7 has also been adapted for the CHR-70... 1st impressions here Mark Audio CHR-70 Application Thread.

I need a couple beta testers for the Alpair7 version.

dave
Old 11th March 2010, 08:17 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the update... I'm going for the pensils.. I like the elegance of the tall slim box...

The plans for the pensil 10 / 12 show additional bracing internally. Is that going to add anything to the smaller panels on the Pensil 7? I don't think you included them in the ones you built?

Lastly well done on the online ordering system. The process was painless, and the email updates on status informative and customer friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
Hi Gazz,
I'm currently enjoying the Pencil 7's. I'm also a BR sort of fella. I'd suggest going along the lines of using the Pencil 7 design for bigger room volumes, say 3 X 4 metres up. You can adjust the amount of damping material in the Pencils making it reasonably easy to room-tune. For smaller rooms, possibly I'd stick with BR between 6 to 10 litres, but this is personal choice rather than anything technical.

Cheers

Mark.

Hide this!Advertise here!