Pensil Series for Mark Audio Drivers - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 2nd April 2011, 04:49 PM   #31
mac1963 is offline mac1963  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys.
Being a regular guy who can't leave well enough alone, I'm considering trying se spikes to see if they make a difference. Am also supposed to put in an aluminum inlay in the visible 2mm shadow gaps running along the top and front. The idea was to add a visible effect here. However I'm not so sure I'm going to do that as I really like them 'as is' and the gap seems to have no notable negative effect on the sound…
Old 10th June 2011, 03:36 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Hi Scott/Dave,

Which aspects of the Pencils' dimensions are critical? I'd like to play with the idea of curved side panels. If I keep the enclosure height and cross sectional area the same my hunch is the tuning will be unchanged. Is that a reasonable assumption?

Thanks
Old 10th June 2011, 04:24 PM   #33
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon dart View Post
Hi Scott/Dave,

Which aspects of the Pencils' dimensions are critical? I'd like to play with the idea of curved side panels. If I keep the enclosure height and cross sectional area the same my hunch is the tuning will be unchanged. Is that a reasonable assumption?

Thanks

So far so good I think, but I'd raise the questions of curved in what direction and what fabrication technique did you have in mind?

the millwork trade has a simple abbreviation - "CCM" no matter what materials / techniques are employed, curves cost money

note from the "white papers"

Quote:
The Pencils are a small range of easy-to-build floorstanding cabinet designs for Mark Fenlon Audio drivers. They use a combination of traditional quarter-wave design, a custom T/S volume alignment, and Transmission Line damping to provide a balanced response with a flavour of both vented and TL enclosures.
So I think that you'd want to be careful that bracing/support framing for curved panels didn't interfere with the QW action. If you'll note from Dave's drawings and pictures posted elsewhere, panel bracing on these is best oriented vertically.

Depending on the particular drivers being used, the Pensil can be a pretty skinny box, making access to adjust damping / fill levels a bit a of a challenge, so at the very least I'd consider fabrication with either front or rear panel removable
Old 10th June 2011, 06:24 PM   #34
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Which aspects of the Pencils' dimensions are critical?
Cross section area, line length (height), driver placement from the top, terminus area, placement* & depth (don't go building a 2" baffle)

* ignoring room effects, they have been successfully placed on the back and should be no issue on the side.

dave
Old 10th June 2011, 06:24 PM   #35
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
panel bracing on these is best oriented vertically.
Regardless of box, bracing is best placed longitudinally (ie along the longest dimension and not at the centre of a panel).

This is more formally stated as: The brace should divide the panel such that the sub panels have a larger aspect ratio than the original panel.

dave
Old 11th June 2011, 07:25 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Thanks, time to do some solid modelling and see what some nice stiff curvy sides might do!
Old 12th June 2011, 07:20 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Well my curvy Pensil 10.2 works out at 425 deep with a random by eye boat profile, 17mm deeper than regular. I have assumed 18mm material and kept the cross sectional area, height and baffle the same. I think its a looker, which is important to me. I'm tempted to build it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pensil 10.JPG (20.7 KB, 330 views)
Old 12th June 2011, 09:40 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I think its a looker
It is indeed! Very nice.
Old 13th June 2011, 12:32 AM   #39
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Well my curvy Pensil 10.2 works out at 425 deep with a random by eye boat profile, 17mm deeper than regular. I have assumed 18mm material and kept the cross sectional area, height and baffle the same. I think its a looker, which is important to me. I'm tempted to build it!

looks great - how where you contemplating fabricating the curved wall panels?
Old 13th June 2011, 03:41 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Stunning! I had a set of Rockets (RS450's and RSC200) that have curved sides and they look great. VERY similar profile to what you have suggested. Go for it!!

Scott

Hide this!Advertise here!