Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 16th January 2011, 03:17 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Thanks Dave.

The braces look easy enough to add in. A couple more questions specific to the Pensil-7 if I may:

a) Would you strongly advise building out of ply or MDF rather than, say, solid maple or oak? Would you change the board thickness if building out of solid wood? Speaking only of sound quality without regard to cost, are there any wood selection guidelines that should be respected? And finally, would it be advisable to "deaden" the wood with felt or something on the inside?

b) Came across these in another post on wood-working and I quite like the look of the baffle being in a different wood. Is this something I could do with the Pensil design or is this going to destroy the acoustics?

http://www.blumenstein-ultra-fi.com/...ery/naga/1.jpg

Thanks,

Colin
Old 16th January 2011, 05:01 PM   #22
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Colin:

to elaborate on Dave's post - I'd suggest you consider interlocking holey braces on an enclosure as tall and skinny as the Pensils for 7s would be. I recently built a pair with removable backs to allow for playing with stuffing levels, (highly recommend that for any of the Pensils) and ran one brace front to back from top to approx 2/3 the internal length, then a second brace side to side which interlocked by about 1".

It certainly takes longer to fabricate and fit the braces than the rest of an enclosure as simple as these, but definitely makes for very stiff and tight construction.

edit:

If you're confident that you could build a pair of these from solid wood that would stay together, by all means, but if not I'd strongly recommend plywood or even particle board over MDF.

regardless of material you decide for main carcass, there's no reason that something like Clark's solid wood mounting plate wouldn't work.

knowing Clark, it's probably not entirely cosmetic

Last edited by chrisb; 16th January 2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 16th January 2011, 07:06 PM   #23
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Building a box out of solid wood -- and having it hold together under humidity & temperature changes -- is a big challenge. Quite a few of these are being made out of solid, particularily in Japan & HK, we'll see how long lived they are.

The safer bet would be good multiply clad with real wood, with a viscoelastic bonding agent. IMHO MDF is suitable only in situations where it is all you can get,

dave
Old 17th January 2011, 01:40 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll find a nice ply somewhere, I'll include braces, and I might get some solid wood just for the mounting plate. Love that look.

I'll post pictures of my build once it is on its way.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 24th January 2011, 08:48 PM   #25
mac1963 is offline mac1963  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Just finished a 'sample' build of the pensil-p70 with a pair of chp-70 I ordered, and I'm gobsmacked! I did a quick build using mdf and no frills just to test them out (I have to confess that I was actually very skeptical and wanted to hear for myself what all this FR fad was about), and I can't believe the sound that's coming out of the little drivers!
Onward to a rather more 'luxurious' and careful build now. Thanks guys for great plans, product and advice.
Old 24th January 2011, 09:18 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Glad you like them.
Old 25th January 2011, 05:38 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1963 View Post
Just finished a 'sample' build of the pensil-p70 with a pair of chp-70 I ordered, and I'm gobsmacked! I did a quick build using mdf and no frills just to test them out (I have to confess that I was actually very skeptical and wanted to hear for myself what all this FR fad was about), and I can't believe the sound that's coming out of the little drivers!
Onward to a rather more 'luxurious' and careful build now. Thanks guys for great plans, product and advice.
Hello Mac1963,
Welcome to the world of Full-Range. Feel free to post some pics. Always interesting to show various stages of a project.
Have fun!

Cheers

Mark.
Old 1st April 2011, 03:56 PM   #28
mac1963 is offline mac1963  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Hi all
Finally found the time to post some pictures of the final result. Solid Sucupira (sliced up and rejoined to avoid warping) was used, and the sound is AMazing! Thanks again, guys, for the info and support that made these possible.Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 1st April 2011, 11:05 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Blimey, that's pretty.
Old 1st April 2011, 11:20 PM   #30
doorman is offline doorman  Canada
diyAudio Member

Yes, Very nice!
I like the simple binding posts too!
Best, Don