Pensil Series for Mark Audio Drivers - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 6th September 2010, 09:49 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Specific objectives?

Simple enclosure, easy to tailor to various rooms / systems, relatively flat impedance & a reasonably balanced response down to ~60Hz without requiring compensation circuitry in the vast majority of cases (there will always be some that need adjustments -that's just life. Mostly not though).

Quote:
By that I mean, is there a suggested compensation network (like the original pensil)?
As in the taller Pencil Mark designed for the CHR? No. Most users should not require any Eq on the Pencils in practice. There are several threads on the Pencil 12; what applies to that basically applies to the Pencils for the smaller drivers.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 6th September 2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old 7th September 2010, 08:56 AM   #12
jonners is offline jonners  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I recently bought a pair of CHP-70 drivers and I'm wondering if the taller Pensil 70 design for the CHR-70 can be adapted to suit the paper driver?
Old 7th September 2010, 04:46 PM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonners View Post
I recently bought a pair of CHP-70 drivers and I'm wondering if the taller Pensil 70 design for the CHR-70 can be adapted to suit the paper driver?
Here is the Pensil design for the CHP-70. http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/FAL...map-180710.pdf

The original Pensil should be considered superceded,

dave
Old 7th September 2010, 10:18 PM   #14
jonners is offline jonners  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Dave.
And would the Frugel-horn Mk.3 be an OK alternative for the CHP-70?
Old 7th September 2010, 10:31 PM   #15
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonners View Post
Thanks, Dave.
And would the Frugel-horn Mk.3 be an OK alternative for the CHP-70?
I'd have to look at the data, but i'd guess it would be a suitable candidate.

dave
Old 10th September 2010, 05:25 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Hi dave,

Is it good to add a tweeter onto the PensilP70?

Thanks,
Tony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Here is the Pensil design for the CHP-70. http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeaker...map-180710.pdf

The original Pensil should be considered superceded,

dave
Old 10th September 2010, 08:00 PM   #17
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I've only seen pictures of the CHP-70, so i can't speak from experience.

dave
Old 15th January 2011, 02:11 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Default Pensil-7 newbie questions

Hello,

I'm embarking on my first DIY project and after reading about the FH and tons of other designs, I've settled on the Pensil series of designs for the Markaudio drivers based on:

a) good reviews
b) good looking response graphs
c) build simplicity
d) lots of guys saying that similar looking designs were popular with their wives :-)

I do have a couple of pedestrian questions about this design as well as speaker building in general though.

1) How should the removable rear panel of the cabinet attach to the cleats that are there in the design? Are metal screws okay? Is there a better way? I might be missing how "cleats" work, if they work in any particular way at all.

2) General question... Is it best to have a terminal plate for any reason or can you simply mount binding posts directly on the wood of the cabinet?

3) If you did install a terminal plate, is any one location on the cabinet better than any other location? I guess the rear panel is not such a good idea if it is going to be removable but I'm just wondering about the effect on the acoustics internally to the cabinet. In an effort to hide the terminals as best as possible, would it be okay to put the speakers on a set of rubber feet and put the terminals at the bottom or is that really stupid?

4) In this design, does the location of the stuffing matter? I do intend to play around with the stuffing to get the best sound, but I'm wondering if there are any guidelines on this.

5) I don't want to cut any corners... So I'm wondering if there is *any* benefit to including an internal brace on the Pensil-7 design... Or would I be wasting my time?

Thanks a million!

Colin
Old 15th January 2011, 03:03 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Okay, disregard my previous post... I see that most of these questions are answered in another post specifically on the pensil-7. My bad!
Old 15th January 2011, 05:03 PM   #20
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdurocher View Post
5) I don't want to cut any corners... So I'm wondering if there is *any* benefit to including an internal brace on the Pensil-7 design... Or would I be wasting my time?
Colin,

If you are not cutting any corners than add braces. We have found that the brace front to back that couples the driver to the back particularily beneficial for downward dynamic range. And with a removable back, it gives an additional place to attach the back.

An example is shown in one of the Pensil12 drwings i believe.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!