Need Driver for Dash? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 26th November 2009, 09:09 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Need Driver for Dash?

Mark,

I'm going to convert my car audio system from an MT to FR/W (active xover @~300Hz). I will be building pods for the FR going into the lower corners of the windshield. I'm actually counting on the off-axis drop of the high frequencies to offset the different listening distances (drivers pointed across the cabin). I'm fairly certain I can get 1-2L of volume in each pod.

Is there a particular MA driver you would recommend or a driver I shouldn't use? I'm flexible on the xover freq. The woofer is going to stay in the door and will be some distance from the FR. I have a single 8" sub that's filling in from 80Hz down.

Thanks for your help.

John
Old 27th November 2009, 12:24 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi John,
Sounds like an interesting project. My initial suggestion would be Alpair 5. Its rising response will come in handy in view of the off-axis position. A 1 litre pod could be OK.

Just so I understand correctly, what's the size and Fo of the woofer in the doors (assuming a woofer is each door)?

And you've then got a sub, fitted in the rear of the cabin?

Cheers,

Mark.
Old 27th November 2009, 06:29 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
Hi John,
Sounds like an interesting project. My initial suggestion would be Alpair 5. Its rising response will come in handy in view of the off-axis position. A 1 litre pod could be OK.

Just so I understand correctly, what's the size and Fo of the woofer in the doors (assuming a woofer is each door)?

And you've then got a sub, fitted in the rear of the cabin?

Cheers,

Mark.
The door drivers are Vifa P18 (or P17, I forget exactly), so 6.5". Fo is 45-50Hz. The sub is actually under the front passenger seat. The sub is an eD 9kv.2 in a sealed enclosure. I have another driver for under the driver seat but haven't found a reason to put it in.

The A5 it is. I think I want the gold "soft" dome given the "hard" environment. Given my active xover is only 12db/octave, what would you recommend for the lowest frequency? I never put the full power (100W@4 ohms) of my eD amp thru the drivers but I wouldn't want to accidentally kill it.

John
Old 5th December 2009, 02:28 PM   #4
Henkjan is offline Henkjan  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

what xover freq you choose, depends also on how high your goal is in terms of dynamics. I have made a design with the A5 in which I cross over at 300, but I was able to use 4th order, this would half the excursion of the alpair compared to 2nd order. with a 2nd order there would still be significant excursion at 200Hz, with 4th order not.

So with 2nd order xover you might want to go for 400Hz, which should be OK (can your xover do time correction?), a few years ago a german won the car audio SQ european championship with such a concept (2" Omnes Audio on the dash (near the mirrors), woffer in the door, xover at 400Hz)

btw: you have apparently plenty of space on the dash, I would love to have the A5 in my car as well, but the large diameter has stopped me, for it would block my view unless I heavily modify the dash (which I dont want to do)
Old 16th January 2010, 12:16 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Sorry for the delay in reply.

The xover is active and 12db/oct. I was going to let the set-up dictate what works. I want to keep it as low as possible. I may use a passive filter too (cascaded) to enhance the control.

I have a Corolla Rumion (xB here in the States) and it's got lots of space on the dash. I've also seen the vents replaced by drivers but the lack of pointing control makes that unattractive to me.

Hide this!Advertise here!