Mark's proto 6.5" Woofer, 1" silk Tweet combo - Page 23 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 20th April 2012, 05:46 PM   #221
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Mark,

Dumb question - you previous woof 6s were pretty flexible application wise, and from the comments of satisfied users, solid performers too - any specific design goals prompted you to change them?

Regards,
Zia
Old 20th April 2012, 05:53 PM   #222
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
Hi Tof,
If there's enough interest, we hope to make a new woof (see recent previous posts). Please check the Markaudio website for our HK dealer (Tony Wong) contact details. Let him know you want our new woofs. If he gets enough enquires, he'll likely stock the new drivers.

Thanks
Mark.

Mark...You just ok'd a SPAM attack on Tony...LOL

IT WASNT ME!
Old 20th April 2012, 05:59 PM   #223
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Mark,

Dumb question - you previous woof 6s were pretty flexible application wise, and from the comments of satisfied users, solid performers too - any specific design goals prompted you to change them?

Regards,
Zia
Hi Zia,
Its a good question. The competition in the cheap woof market is very strong. The first woof No.6 did quite well (from my memory around 2500 units) but to make it pay, we needed more sales.

Take a look at Boris's (et al.) wish list and note the "90dB". We've shortened the coil on this driver, changed to 6-ohm to lighten the winding in an effort to reduce Mms and drive up SPL. My hope is these efforts will make the new driver more attractive to Diyers.

Cheers
Mark.
Old 20th April 2012, 06:01 PM   #224
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptquark View Post
Mark...You just ok'd a SPAM attack on Tony...LOL

IT WASNT ME!
Ummmmmmmph........poor Tony. We've got to be fair to him. Genuine enquires - thx
Old 20th April 2012, 06:10 PM   #225
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi Zia,
Its a good question. The competition in the cheap woof market is very strong. The first woof No.6 did quite well (from my memory around 2500 units) but to make it pay, we needed more sales.

Take a look at Boris's (et al.) wish list and note the "90dB". We've shortened the coil on this driver, changed to 6-ohm to lighten the winding in an effort to reduce Mms and drive up SPL. My hope is these efforts will make the new driver more attractive to Diyers.

Cheers
Mark.

if there were any differences, the version marketed via Bob as EL166 was just fine as it was, and FWIW I think squeezing too hard for higher sensitivity at this size / intended bandwidth could destroy what it does so well ( i.e. Bang for Buck) , and the longer the production life over which you can amortize your tooling / parts moulding etc costs, the better for all us

Last edited by chrisb; 20th April 2012 at 06:15 PM. Reason: emphasis
Old 20th April 2012, 06:23 PM   #226
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
if there were any differences, the version marketed via Bob as EL166 was just fine as it was, and FWIW I think squeezing too hard for higher sensitivity at this size / intended bandwidth could destroy what it does so well ( i.e. Bang for Buck) , and the longer the production life over which you can amortize your tooling / parts moulding etc costs, the better for all us
Hi Chris,
I'm with you on this but quite a number of lower cost 6.5" paper coned woofs claim +88dB. Any woof I make has to compete in this wider market to survive. Many Diy audio folks love higher SPL and buy accordingly (hence all the hours of effort with the 12P).

Bandwidth wise, I'm hoping to get time next week to process the frequency and impedance, you'll likely be happy with the results.

Cheers
Mark.
Old 20th April 2012, 06:26 PM   #227
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
or a new version/production run of woofer alone?
My understanding is that there were quite a few more tweeters made, and there are still lots of them in distribution. It is the woofer that is needed.

dave
Old 20th April 2012, 06:48 PM   #228
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Many Diy audio folks love higher SPL and buy accordingly (hence all the hours of effort with the 12P).
Cheers
Mark.
Grrrr.....need to convince them to give up those 2A3 amps...
Old 20th April 2012, 07:14 PM   #229
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Grrrr.....need to convince them to give up those 2A3 amps...
Good luck with that.

jeff
Old 20th April 2012, 07:18 PM   #230
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi Chris,
I'm with you on this but quite a number of lower cost 6.5" paper coned woofs claim +88dB. Any woof I make has to compete in this wider market to survive. Many Diy audio folks love higher SPL and buy accordingly (hence all the hours of effort with the 12P).

Bandwidth wise, I'm hoping to get time next week to process the frequency and impedance, you'll likely be happy with the results.

Cheers
Mark.

since this is your forum, you're able to control the "warmer" replies (mine included if need be), but I think the operative word in above post is "claim"

is there an emoticon for "can o' worms" or "$hit-disturber"? damwell should be

I just so happen to have the spec sheets for Alpair10.2 (which is quite growing on me, but still not yet as favorite as the 7.3 or EL70) and a 12" (which I've not yet heard) by maker famous for their OEM/DIY/musical instrument models - very interesting . Aside from the 12's approx 10dB difference in nominal power band sensitivity, 4dB rise in the 600-6K range, and 10times power handling which one would be surprised not to find in this type of driver, what's most interesting in closer inspection of the TSP and FR graph is the only approx 3 dB difference from 300Hz down; with the Alpair's built in BSC, almost identical Xmax, and 10Hz lower Fs extending the little guy's "anechoic" F10 almost a full octave lower than the 12"

horses for courses of course

Hide this!Advertise here!