Mark's proto 6.5" Woofer, 1" silk Tweet combo - Page 18 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 15th September 2011, 02:19 PM   #171
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alspe View Post
Hi Mark,

can you tell what was the main reason why Woofer 6 changed so much? Original was high Qts, low/medium mass and medium Fs driver.

Current driver is quite ordinary, medium Qts, bit heavy cone so low Fs and built in BSC (which is but quite many dB's for small rooms )
Hi Alspe,
Me listening to member feedback answers your first question.

Re your last comment, give us your precise design specifications for a 6.5" woof (cone spec, coil, front and rear suspensions) making sure you relate your work to likely operational demands on such a driver in popular box design concepts.

Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 15th September 2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 15th September 2011, 03:05 PM   #172
alspe is offline alspe  Finland
diyAudio Member

^hi, sorry for my bad english, I wrote wrong and I don't understand all of your reply.

I meant that is your 5 dB BSC too much? What I've understood is that you do not need 5-6 dB BSC is your room is small and speaker placement is going to by near back wall (like I do). I have only one position for speakers and it is 0-20 cm from back wall (measured from speaker cabinet back side). I must live with that fact.
Old 15th September 2011, 04:54 PM   #173
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lduarte1973 View Post
the woofers are only 6" paper cone ? no 8" poly or metal cone ?

have you heard this particular driver?

they work surprisingly well, and I for one would hope it doesn't get too much "improved"

Most of Mark's focus has been / will continue to be on wide-band drivers, more specifically extending the HF performance without resorting to whizzers, etc, and there's probably a practical limit to size while retaining the durability of light-weight metal cones incorporated in most of the Alpair branded models.

While he's unique as far as I know for the degree of communication with his customer base, we need to appreciate his work for what it is, not complain too much about features/materials etc haven't been included

sorry, rant off
Old 15th September 2011, 05:53 PM   #174
diyAudio Member

Quote:
^hi, sorry for my bad english, I wrote wrong and I don't understand all of your reply.

I meant that is your 5 dB BSC too much? What I've understood is that you do not need 5-6 dB BSC is your room is small and speaker placement is going to by near back wall (like I do). I have only one position for speakers and it is 0-20 cm from back wall (measured from speaker cabinet back side). I must live with that fact.
Hi Alspe,
No problem. Happy you are trying to explain. My point is: You made a comment on my woofer design, but you said nothing about your ideas on what makes a good woofer for your needs. Complaining about a driver is no good by itself. More practical feedback is needed from you so I can possibly fine tune future driver designs.

For BSC, this depends on your box choice. For most ported/vented designs, there are some losses in the lower frequencies so a +5dB gain from the driver will compensate. But this is not an exact situation. I can't design a driver to suit each individual box design and room situation.

The woofer No.6 (also CSS version) is a balance between efficiency, power-handling and near flat frequency response making it easy to design a crossover. It will work well in many box designs:

1 - Its cone mass is more than my Full-Range designs because this woofer must handle more low end power. The excursion demand on its power-train is greater than Full-Range.

2 - Using a low mass thin cone on this woofer (or any woofer) is very risky. It won't stand the load.

3 - Making a woofer with a high Qts limits the box design, usually needing much larger internal volumes. The feedback from members was to change the driver's damping to a lower total Q, making this driver more practical for use in smaller box volumes.

Before you make comments on drivers, you need to think about why a driver has a particular set of characteristics. Maybe my Woofer No.6 doesn't suit your situation. This I accept but its not my driver's fault. Its up to you to find a unit that that fits your particular situation, rather than putting the blame on my driver design.

Thanks
Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 15th September 2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old 15th September 2011, 06:11 PM   #175
borispm is offline borispm  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to borispm
Quote:
You would use it closed design I believe? (6,5" is way too small for OB to produce bass)
I'm not looking for anything below 50Hz anyway, so a 6 1/2" to 8" will do. Also it's for desktop (yes, I know it sounds nut but I really wanna try desktop OB)
Old 15th September 2011, 06:43 PM   #176
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
have you heard this particular driver?

they work surprisingly well, and I for one would hope it doesn't get too much "improved"

Most of Mark's focus has been / will continue to be on wide-band drivers, more specifically extending the HF performance without resorting to whizzers, etc, and there's probably a practical limit to size while retaining the durability of light-weight metal cones incorporated in most of the Alpair branded models.

While he's unique as far as I know for the degree of communication with his customer base, we need to appreciate his work for what it is, not complain too much about features/materials etc haven't been included

sorry, rant off
im not complaining just asking a question.
Old 15th September 2011, 07:16 PM   #177
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lduarte1973 View Post
im not complaining just asking a question.

sorry for the pi$$y tone of my above post - I hate that I'm turning into the grumpy old man that was my mom's first husband
Old 15th September 2011, 08:15 PM   #178
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
sorry for the pi$$y tone of my above post - I hate that I'm turning into the grumpy old man that was my mom's first husband

HEY!!! I've got the market cornered on the "grumpy old man" title.
Old 16th September 2011, 06:49 AM   #179
alspe is offline alspe  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borispm View Post
I'm not looking for anything below 50Hz anyway, so a 6 1/2" to 8" will do. Also it's for desktop (yes, I know it sounds nut but I really wanna try desktop OB)
I have seen one youtube vid where guy (I suppose ) had 2way OB 8"+1" and sounds very very good, close to wall and it had bass.

Last edited by markaudio; 16th September 2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 16th September 2011, 07:31 AM   #180
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhairbp View Post
HEY!!! I've got the market cornered on the "grumpy old man" title.

dueling at 20 paces, MF! ( that's "my friend")

Hide this!Advertise here!