Mark's proto 6.5" Woofer, 1" silk Tweet combo - Page 16 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 19th October 2010, 06:33 PM   #151
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default EL166 MTM ML-TL

I made some progress getting drivers mounted up in my variation of Scott's dual #6 ML-TLs, You can see that the midtweeter (cosmetically matched FF85KeN) is also a TL. Will be damped till aperiodic.

XO will be external. Back removable until we have damping right.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MA-no6-MTM.jpg (71.7 KB, 750 views)
Old 20th October 2010, 12:28 AM   #152
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicie View Post
Would it be possible to build a small low budget sub-woofer with one of these EL166 drivers? I always wanted to experiment with building a small sub for my girlfriends Nissan Micra.

Once I saw a setup with two small woofers in separate 4th order band pass enclosures with a simple LPF driven by the two back channels of a standard car radio. That bit of extra low sounded really nice to my ears.

What do you guys think?
I think it will work properly. Still, there might be better speakers for a subwoofer but probably not for such a nice price
Old 21st October 2010, 06:09 PM   #153
Juicie is offline Juicie  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGER View Post
I think it will work properly. Still, there might be better speakers for a subwoofer but probably not for such a nice price
Building one at the moment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tn_DSC_7002.JPG (72.1 KB, 629 views)
Old 21st October 2010, 08:12 PM   #154
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicie View Post

It's a bandpass!? Tell about the results

Greetings, Alex
Old 7th November 2010, 07:50 AM   #155
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I got both of these playing tonight.

Played with an XO using a single channel for a day or 2 using available parts. I was a bit worried early on, but it is sounding pretty good now (switched from paralle to series today and everything snapped into focus). I'll have to get them upstairs with the mic & Fuzzmeasure and dial them in now.

They sound good, with plenty of well controlled bottom end.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg El166-MTM-front.jpg (47.8 KB, 7313 views)
File Type: jpg El166-MTM-close.jpg (73.3 KB, 5499 views)
Old 10th November 2010, 04:12 AM   #156
diyAudio Member

Dave (&chris) those look great

Josh
Old 10th November 2010, 04:42 AM   #157
diyAudio Member

Default PLEASE DO THIS INSTEAD!

I'd like to throw my 2 cents in to the ring.

I think that many of the posters have chimed in on the thought that there isn't a need to re-invent the wheel. There ARE many good drivers out there, whether they are 6-inch or tweeters, and many have been thoroughly tested and vetted.

The poster who mentioned finding a new "niche" is right on. I believe that there is one serious niche that remains unfilled with a quality driver: THE SEALED BACK MIDRANGE! Sure, there are those offerings from Goldwood for under $10 each, but they don't have frequency response below 500Hz and even that is a stretch. Also, the frequency response has tons of irregularities and I am sure that the metal can back is sure to resonate at mid to upper frequencies somewhere. The construction is just a disaster waiting to happen.

BUT, I have found one example of how a GOOD sealed back midrange can be done (not that it is a particularly good driver mind you). It's this Cerwin-Vega 6" mid, sold by mavin.com. They claim 100Hz to 8k Hz bandwidth, but I doubt the claim. Why does this driver represent such an important niche market? Because just about every DIY speaker builder (who builds multi-driver systems) would like to have an easy-to-use midrange. The PITA part is that you need to build a separate enclosure for the driver, to isolate the mid from the internal pressure generated by the woofer. Often the size of this sub-enclosure for a small (5-6") midrange is only 1-2 liters and this is a perfect size for a prefabricated driver + sealed back combination. Assuming that you could make a driver that is sufficiently sensitive, has low distortion, and bandwidth up to 5k Hz, THESE WOULD FLY OFF THE SHELF.

This is not a new idea, really. I have some older model Seas 5.25" drivers that have a usable bandwidth of about 150Hz-3.5kHz. At the time that I bought them, I could have purchased a set of rear cups that were optimized for these drivers but I passed and now they are no longer available. I could kick myself each time I think about this fact.

So, if you want to do something that is new, that will sell, and that isn't duplicated in 1 googleplex other drivers out there, don't go making another mid sized direct radiator and dome tweeter. And hey, if you don't make it, I bet those folks over at Dayton Audio will do it!

-Charlie
Old 10th November 2010, 03:24 PM   #158
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieLaub View Post
I'd like to throw my 2 cents in to the ring.
I think that many of the posters have chimed in on the thought that there isn't a need to re-invent the wheel. There ARE many good drivers out there, whether they are 6-inch or tweeters, and many have been thoroughly tested and vetted.
I have found one example of how a GOOD sealed back midrange can be done (not that it is a particularly good driver mind you). It's this Cerwin-Vega 6" mid, sold by mavin.com. They claim 100Hz to 8k Hz bandwidth, but I doubt the claim. Why does this driver represent such an important niche market? Because just about every DIY speaker builder (who builds multi-driver systems) would like to have an easy-to-use midrange. The PITA part is that you need to build a separate enclosure for the driver, to isolate the mid from the internal pressure generated by the woofer. Often the size of this sub-enclosure for a small (5-6") midrange is only 1-2 liters and this is a perfect size for a prefabricated driver + sealed back combination. Assuming that you could make a driver that is sufficiently sensitive, has low distortion, and bandwidth up to 5k Hz, THESE WOULD FLY OFF THE SHELF.

-Charlie
Hi Charlie,
Interesting comments but as yet, I don't have a long queue of folks asking me for a mid-range. I've just come back from Tokyo where I saw several examples of CHR's and smaller Alpair's in multi-way serving as wide-mids.

Regarding my Woofs and tweets. Their primary performance purpose: to offer low cost reasonably wide/near-flat response drivers giving a wide OX choice. At the time of building Woof6 and Tweet3, there was very limited choice of budget drivers capable of emitting near flat/wide responses that enabled a budget builder to easy make a smooth 30Hz to 30kHz system. Crossing outside the BT telephonic band (-400Hz to +4kHz) is possible with Woof6 and Tweet3 so adding a mid driver isn't a necessity. Sales of these drivers are going well (better than my expectations with 4200 units sold so far), so the proof is in the sales pudding (so to speak).

Your idea is interesting but I don't agree with your assumptions and assertions on the pressing need for more mid-range driver choice in the home build market.

Cheers
Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 10th November 2010 at 09:41 PM. Reason: typo fix
Old 11th November 2010, 02:28 PM   #159
diyAudio Member

I think we need a 10" Fullranger!
Old 11th November 2010, 03:22 PM   #160
doorman is offline doorman  Canada
diyAudio Member

The couple of MA drivers I've heard, incl. the CHR-70eN will have one thinking they are much "bigger" than their actual size!
Best
Don

Hide this!Advertise here!