Mark's new Alpair 7 - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 18th June 2010, 06:41 PM   #61
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@kan View Post
If the CHR-70 is great the Alpair is absolutely fantastic!
Thank you Mark for offering this beauty to an affordable price.
I'll second that. I was very impressed with them in dMar-Ken7. Can't wait till the eN versions reach the top of my queue.

dave
Old 20th June 2010, 12:25 PM   #62
diyAudio Member

Hello guys, the long-awaited package with the Alpair 7 arrived to me yesterday. After opening the package, I reliased that there ist a "Front-Couver" (with markaudio-logo and Alpair 7 label) over the frame. These "Front-Couver" makes the frame thicker, so you have to go deeper in the material when mill-cutting the front of the box. Ist there any way to remove this "Front-Couver"? PS: I know, my english needs improvement.
Old 20th June 2010, 02:54 PM   #63
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by con-hoolio View Post
Hello guys, the long-awaited package with the Alpair 7 arrived to me yesterday. After opening the package, I reliased that there ist a "Front-Couver" (with markaudio-logo and Alpair 7 label) over the frame. These "Front-Couver" makes the frame thicker, so you have to go deeper in the material when mill-cutting the front of the box. Ist there any way to remove this "Front-Couver"? PS: I know, my english needs improvement.
Hello Hoolio,
"Correcting my earlier information":
The front cover makes the frame mounting deeper. Please don't try to remove the cover, you may risk damage to the driver.
Thanks
Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 21st June 2010 at 07:21 AM. Reason: info correction
Old 20th June 2010, 04:05 PM   #64
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Mark,

The bezel does make the required rebate deeper (than if the driver was available without decorative bezel). We ran into this when we machined baffles for the A12, and were lucky enuff to get a pair without the bezels. Had to use an extra thick gasket to bring them flush. That will teach us to machine without having driver in hand to double check . Fortunately only temporary baffles.

dave
Old 21st June 2010, 09:48 AM   #65
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,
Sorry for any confusion over frame recess depth. The depth will change depending on which model Alpair 7 you have.

Alpair 7:
Gen 1 - Japan models (Sept. 2009 batch) - No cover - No built-in seal
Gen 1 - EU models (Sept 2009 batch) - With cover - No built-in seal
Gen 2 - Japan models (April 2010 batch) - With cover - With built-in seal
Gen 2 - EU models (April 2010 batch) - With cover - with built-in seal

Recess depth on Gen 1 frames = 7.00-mm +/- 0.25-mm
Recess depth on Gen 2 frames = 9.84-mm +/- 0.20-mm

For guys in North America, if you bought your drivers from CSS, Solen or Stereo Clarity before last April, you'll likely have the Gen 1 frames. After April, the drivers being supplied to these dealers are Gen 2.

Madisound in the USA have recently purchased new stock of Alpair 7 Gen. 2 drivers (also Alp12 and CHR-70 Gen 2.) so please contact them on:

Contact Madisound Speaker Components, Inc.

Cheers

Mark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC4811.jpg (75.3 KB, 774 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC4814.jpg (88.5 KB, 762 views)

Last edited by markaudio; 21st June 2010 at 12:53 PM. Reason: typo mending
Old 7th September 2010, 01:24 AM   #66
diyAudio Member

Mark

Hope you are making a good recovery from your operation.

I finally managed to get my hands on a pair of gold Alpair 7's. I was going to try the Alpair 12's but the sized of the cabinet made it impractical and expensive to use hardwood so settled on the Alpair 7's. Have just finished the cabinets in the usual solid Aussie Tasmanian hardwoods. From the first note it was obvious these are a significant step upwards in quality. I must add my voice to the chorus of praise for these drivers. Still not run in so things will only get better from here. These are special drivers, you (and your collaborators) have really excelled with this new generation of Alpairs. Congratulations. No wonder they are running out the door.

Peter
Old 7th September 2010, 10:35 AM   #67
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandoman View Post
Mark

Hope you are making a good recovery from your operation.

I finally managed to get my hands on a pair of gold Alpair 7's. I was going to try the Alpair 12's but the sized of the cabinet made it impractical and expensive to use hardwood so settled on the Alpair 7's. Have just finished the cabinets in the usual solid Aussie Tasmanian hardwoods. From the first note it was obvious these are a significant step upwards in quality. I must add my voice to the chorus of praise for these drivers. Still not run in so things will only get better from here. These are special drivers, you (and your collaborators) have really excelled with this new generation of Alpairs. Congratulations. No wonder they are running out the door.

Peter
Many thanks Peter,
Glad you like these Alps. Give them gentle use for 200 hours. Careful running in will bring more rewards.

Cheers

Mark.
Old 22nd September 2010, 08:19 PM   #68
skimmer is offline skimmer  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys:
Iím new to the form and new to DIY building but looking at a new hobby.
Iím thing my first build will be the start of a new HT package. Due to my 0 knowledge at this stage I was thinking of using the new Alpair 7í drivers - 2 or 4 of them in a ported box without a tweeter to keep things simple and to avoid the crossover build. Any thoughts would sure help. I canít find any one using these as a center cannel driver on the form, but from what Iím reading this would be the driver to use everyone loves it. I need to keep this design some what small due to the wifeís specifications.

Thanks Skimmer
Old 22nd September 2010, 08:32 PM   #69
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I think you'll be very happy with the A7. It will work fine as a centre.

How small is small?

dave
Old 17th December 2010, 04:34 AM   #70
routhun is online now routhun  United States
diyAudio Member

Default screw size for Alpair 7

Hi Mark,

Recently bought Alpair 7 from CSS and currently building pencil 7 cabinet. What is size of the screws need to mount these drivers? Somewhere I've read Alpair 6's are supplied with required screws, can I use the same dimensions for Alpair 7's too?

Thanks,
Routhun

Hide this!Advertise here!