Mark's new Alpair 7 - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 3rd December 2009, 01:17 PM   #21
hayenc is offline hayenc  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to hayenc
Your comments are consistent with my side by side comparisons.
Old 5th December 2009, 10:24 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Well I need to get serious about making a decision. Mark, you recommended the CHR-70 as a good choice for this application. In looking at the response graphs it appears to me that it is significantly smoother (i.e. less peaky) than either the EL-70 or the A7. Is that true in your experience? What if any advantage would the EL-70 have over the CHR-70? Is the EL more forward? In this application I don't think that the extra 1/3 octave of the A7 is really relevant.

mike
Old 6th December 2009, 02:21 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Hi Mike
Questions
1- How old is your daughter?
2- Is your daughter an "audiophile"?
3- What musical tastes does she have?
4- Does your daughter use an Ipod or similar?
5- Does she follow design trends and fashions?

I'm trying to get a picture of what your daughter may like. The younger generation often have different audio tastes compared to us. I suggested the CHR-70 (new generation) because its an adaptable driver with new cone colours that suit a wide range of visual tastes. Its proved popular with younger audio people. The EL-70 and Alpair 7 are aimed more at serving the needs of the audiophile listener. Hence my questions in an effort to help meet your daughter's likely expectations.

Mark

Last edited by markaudio; 6th December 2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 6th December 2009, 08:40 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Mike, the CHR graph looks smoother because when it was made, more smoothing was applied -same for the A6 & A10. If you backed off those levels to those applied to the A7/12 etc., then they would look similar.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 6th December 2009 at 08:43 AM.
Old 6th December 2009, 04:44 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Thanks Scottmoose, I was wondering about that.

Mark, She is graduating from high school this coming spring. She is not an audiophile (working on that) and though she is into the current crop of contemporary christian artists and the usual fads of the day she also has shown an interest in music outside of the teenage norm including acoustic folk and classical. No one in her family is into quality audio but she does seem interested when I discuss it so I think exposure to the right stuff with a little education might go a long way. Unlike most of her peers she does actually think about what she is hearing.

As to styling she is sort of mild post modern (purple hair highlights e.g.) but also loves antiques and appreciates what has gone before. I think that her sense of appropriateness is such that she would recognize the discontinuity of visible orange cones on a vintage console. She has been home schooled except for this last year so she tends to be a little bit more inquisitive and interested in things outside of her little peer group.

She has an iPod which is her main source. She uses CDs occasionally and only listens to radio in the car for the most part. She has shown some interest in my TTs but at this point in her life I don't see her having the patience for that.

Thanks,

mike
Old 6th December 2009, 08:54 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the update. Your description is what I much expected. It confirms my reasons for initially suggesting the new CHR-70. The new Champagne colour could most likely appeal while its acoustic performance should easily meet daughter's needs.

Both EL-70 and Alpair 7 could be choices, the EL having a somewhat "retro" look to it. Naturally, I'd like it more if you were to select either of these drivers but I have to say their performance may be more than is needed to satisfy your daughter.

On the issue of frequency graphs. I'm gradually moving back to producing data with little smoothing. I issued RAW frequency data when I first started but got panned by some folks on this forum who didn't know the difference between RAW and smoothed. Sadly, their comments effectively forced to follow other makers and apply more smoothing. Many forum members now know my efforts to produce accurate T/S data. I'm hoping I can get back to guys accepting RAW or near RAW data. Let's see what happens.

Cheers,

Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 6th December 2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 8th December 2009, 07:06 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Hi Mark,
Reading your recommendation for Mike's speaker project I wonder what improvements can be expected switching from CHR-70 to Alpair 7.
I use the (new) CHR-70 in Thorsten Fischer's "needle" enclosure. I even removed the BSC (not necessary, at least not in my room) and I think these speakers are simply brilliant. What more has the Alpair 7 to offer? A huge step forward? (You know, people always want MORE…)

Are there any simple-to-build enclosure designs for this drivers existing yet?

Greets from cold and rainy Germany
Christian

(new to this place and new to DIY-speakers)
Old 9th December 2009, 02:17 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorbööt View Post
Hi Mark,
Reading your recommendation for Mike's speaker project I wonder what improvements can be expected switching from CHR-70 to Alpair 7.
I use the (new) CHR-70 in Thorsten Fischer's "needle" enclosure. I even removed the BSC (not necessary, at least not in my room) and I think these speakers are simply brilliant. What more has the Alpair 7 to offer? A huge step forward? (You know, people always want MORE…)

Are there any simple-to-build enclosure designs for this drivers existing yet?
Greets from cold and rainy Germany
Christian
(new to this place and new to DIY-speakers)
Hi Christain,
I was in Frankfurt recently meeting Nick and Thorsten. I enjoyed the visit very much.
Glad you enjoy the CHR-70's. Moving to the Alpair7 is a good step forward. The range and dynamic's of the Alpair 7 are much in advance of the CHR. This is to be expected as the Alpair 7's cone and suspensions are made of higher grade materials to finer tolerances. The parameters are close so fitting into Thosten's Needles should work OK.
More plans to follow soon.

Thanks and merry Christmas

Mark
Old 10th December 2009, 05:24 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Default alpair-7 recommendation

Hello experts!

I am planning to build small but pretty (sealed) satellites with the new Alpair-7 for my workroom. Any recommendation concerning reasonable volume? -3dB at 80 to 90 Hz should be o.k.
Thank you!

Stefan
Old 14th December 2009, 08:55 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

I got a note from CSS. It seems they only have the copper CHR-70s right now. How likely is that to show through the brown or black grill cloth?

mike

Hide this!Advertise here!