Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 13th April 2010, 03:24 AM   #111
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Diggression into cabinet resonances moved http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/marka...nsil-12-a.html

dave
Old 30th April 2010, 01:53 AM   #112
diyAudio Member

H, Tony,
Thanks for posting the pics but best moved to Pencil 12 thread. Hope this is OK.
Thanks
Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 30th April 2010 at 01:56 AM.
Old 30th April 2010, 01:56 AM   #113
CLS is offline CLS  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

The golden cones in these pictures looks lighter. Is it exposure, or new formula for the materials?
Old 30th April 2010, 02:04 AM   #114
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,
Almost done working through various info requests.

Re Alpair 12's off axis performance - take a look at the MJ Magazine Alp12 test and review. They compared to Alp12 to 2 other Japanese FR drivers:

http://www.markaudio.com/news/2010-03/japanese-review

Here's the graphs showing what the Alpair 12 achieves and can be compared to Diatone's P-610. Bear in mind the Diatone is an excellent unit but is more typical of the type of off-axis performance to be expected from an FR driver of this size and design. If you want full range output from the Diatone, it needs to be positioned on-axis.

I'm pleased with the current Alp12. It's doing what I designed it to achieve. In respect of on-off axis, it's offering allot of set-up flexibility. You'll get full range or close to full range output from zero to 15 degrees. 30 degrees is also stable and well controlled into the high range.

I've briefly mentioned on-off axis on this thread:

Alpair 10 - Generation 2 - sneak peek

Got to dash,

Cheers

Mark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alp12_zu11.jpg (59.8 KB, 980 views)
File Type: jpg Diatone_zu10.jpg (60.7 KB, 959 views)

Last edited by markaudio; 30th April 2010 at 02:12 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 27th July 2010, 08:19 AM   #115
imagios is offline imagios  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Hello Everybody,
Im thinking to get two of these drivers, but I dont see any nice encloasure for them, is there some where a plan for a nice box? TQWL or Horn, or something that would bring a nice 30hz to 20khz performance?
Old 27th July 2010, 08:57 AM   #116
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Woden Design

dave
Old 3rd August 2010, 08:51 PM   #117
imagios is offline imagios  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

thanks for the info Dave, it seem no one has builded it yet,... could be a lottery for me to start with that, with so little experience I have,... especialy the damping would be riddle for me. But the driver seem damn interessting to me
Old 28th March 2013, 09:22 PM   #118
diyAudio Member

Phil Ducote and I have run many tests with the Marks and find they are amazing but do have some unusual issues in the mid-range. They are also very sensitive to burn-in. They need a good long burn-in with complex material with low bass. They are also very sensitive to changes in damping material. You just have to play with that until it suits your taste.
Kinda tedious but can yield major improvements. Pretty much all of the Marks tested liked to be close to walls producig the best bass response.
Over-all, I think there is nothing close to the marks in terms of a full range driver. They are awsome.
Old 29th March 2013, 07:13 AM   #119
diyAudio Member

Smile And cables too....

Hi all in this quiet Easter times!

Yes - damping is 1 issue with this wonderful driver. But what you use to feed them music is just as important! I started off with some outer silver(copper inner) bought on the internet - 2 x 1mm pr lead(2 red for + and 2 white for -) Same as Humble Homemeade Hifi used. Really nice. Then I got some cheap QED copper wires - and my wife started complaining: the sound is so sharp and rugged! I had to agree, it was nearly intolerable. Then I hokked up my cables from the Alp10.2 - also QED(but a much better and more expansive cable) - and the sound again gave that superb insight into musical truth! The I went back to the silvery/copper sound - which is nearly on par with the expensive QED.

BUT now the search for a perfect cable has started - and I think I have found some interresting alternatives.

These drivers really deserves nice/revealing wires.

And I have to agree on the placement of the couple - back up against the wall. For best bass and the sound is more coherent that way!

Best to all

Olav
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0020.jpg (60.5 KB, 262 views)
Old 26th December 2013, 08:10 PM   #120
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

These off-axis responses for the A12 are great in that they achieve what the designer wanted. However, they are just what scare me enough to want to run the other way as fast as I can because they remind me of other full range drivers (other manufactures) that I've had in the past which irritated my ears no end from their treble peakiness. I don't have the option to fine tune with toe-in-out as this will be a speaker I want to have a wide listening circle.

Now - having heard the A10.3 and noticed that I didn't have an issue with it's response (no long term tests but initial tests were very good) - can you please tell me if there is similar off-axis response data available for the A10.3. Then I can put the A12p into context with what I have head from another of the Alpair drivers to get a better idea if the A12p will be suitable for my ears.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Hide this!Advertise here!