Mark's new Alpair 12 - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 4th March 2010, 03:41 AM   #101
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by welborne View Post
Mark, I may be the one that you willl meet with Tony this saturday...
Excellent Welborne (Colman), see you with Tony this Saturday.

There's a new Alpair 12 O/B thread in the Full Range Forum:

Alpair 12 Open Baffle Designs

We could post some pics and comments on this new thread.

Cheers

Mark.
Old 4th March 2010, 01:52 PM   #102
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
I reduce the sensitivity of the Alpairs in this frequency region to control these experiences.
I noticed that on the provided A12 plot. Great idea. That won't do anything for the root cause, but reducing response in that area will allow you to drive it harder before the problem becomes apparent. Nice job.

I guess I'm overly pessimistic because of the problems I've had in the past. Every driver I've used has a problem between 1 and 4 khz at higher volumes with rock, saxophone, or female vocals. It's the nature of the beast. I didn't mean to sound dismissive of your great efforts, it's just that I've been 'burned' on all previous purchases. Others will tell you they don't know what I'm talking about, but it's because they have consciously or unconsciously steered their listening material to stuff that has low energy in that frequency area or just plain listen at low levels. They will say it's the amp or the room or the source or anything else but they are wrong.

So that no one thinks I'm just empty whine, I will buy a pair of A12. They will drop into my woofer-assisted OBs without modification.
Old 4th March 2010, 10:30 PM   #103
diyAudio Member

Hi Inclined,
Actually, I have some sympathy with your frustration when if comes to using Full Rangers at higher loads, hence my efforts over the years to increase linear characteristics and reduce distortion. The MJ (Japan) review has noted the improvements we've made in the Alpair 12 when compared to 2 other drivers. Once run in (usually 200+ hours) should deliver decent volumes while retaining a balanced output.

But, there's always going to be a linear resonance output limit once Full Rangers are driven harder. If you're into Rock Un Roll, or like higher listening volumes generally, errrr... you may need to re-think alternatives. This could be looking at O/B and letting the bass woof do more work, or using a wide woof that gets over 4-kHz with a near flat response.

Each to there own. One person's normal listening level is another's "loud" or "low". Acute hearing, personal musical taste, room influences, up-stream equipment all play their part, hence the fun in the hobby to work all this out.

One beef I've got is the number of re-mastered and new release CD's that have pushed peak responses and ugly compression in some frequency bands. Female vocals, Sax and similar instruments can suddenly sound harsh and peaky. I call it the "strangled cat" syndrome. Seems to be a trend that's continuing. I'm a Josh Stone fan, but there's one CD that's driving me nuts right now. Great songs but the studio has really messed up the recording. Sadly there's nothing that can be done but to turn the vols down.

Cheers

Mark.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MJ_Mar2010_p52.pdf (144.6 KB, 204 views)

Last edited by markaudio; 4th March 2010 at 10:33 PM. Reason: additional info.
Old 4th March 2010, 11:26 PM   #104
diyAudio Member

Another good observation. I've read that fidelity is a lost art among some modern recording techniques.
Old 18th March 2010, 11:59 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,
You may find these off-axis comparisons from independent tests published in Japan's MJ audio magazine very interesting. The Alpair 12 has a very efficient high range delivery when placed in various off-axis positions. Diatone's P-610 is likely more typical, requiring more careful placement in order to receive its broad response.

I've posted some further observations on this subject in this thread:

Jordan JX92S from EAD or Mark Audio Alpair 10?

Cheers

Mark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg off-axis-P610.jpg (127.0 KB, 903 views)
File Type: jpg off-axis-Alp12.jpg (125.8 KB, 930 views)

Last edited by markaudio; 19th March 2010 at 12:04 AM.
Old 23rd March 2010, 03:50 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,
Here's an in-depth test and review of the Alpair 12 just published in Japan's MJ Magazine. Many thanks to MJ and to the author, Takahisa for agreeing to the release of an English translation carried out by Yasushi Matsumoto.

Link to the introduction:

Japanese Alpair 12 Review Now Available | Markaudio

Link to the full report PDF download:

http://www.markaudio.com/sites/all/f...-12-Review.pdf

Cheers

Mark.
Old 3rd April 2010, 06:49 AM   #107
diyAudio Member

I visited Mark's studio yesterday morning and spent almost 3 hours there with a friend of mine.

The main objective of this visit is to listen to the Alpair 12 in the japanese birch Pencil 12 box. I have read too many good things about this combo on internet and I asked Mark for a chance to listen to one in real.

I was not ready for such a big surprise...I have not heard better bass coming from speaker this small, period. I have heard fullrange speakers that are much more expensive and larger in diameter and the bass was nothing near what I heard yesterday. I have owned many Diatone p610ma/b myself in the past, I have also lived with Feastrex 5 for many months in the 3-holes box. I have also heard the Feastrex 9 alnico as well as the Feastrex 5 monster alnico...I have to say the Alapir 12 + japanese birch Pencil 12 impressed me the most.

My jaw was on the floor..
Old 3rd April 2010, 03:41 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by welborne View Post
I visited Mark's studio yesterday morning and spent almost 3 hours there with a friend of mine.

The main objective of this visit is to listen to the Alpair 12 in the japanese birch Pencil 12 box. I have read too many good things about this combo on internet and I asked Mark for a chance to listen to one in real.

I was not ready for such a big surprise...I have not heard better bass coming from speaker this small, period. I have heard fullrange speakers that are much more expensive and larger in diameter and the bass was nothing near what I heard yesterday. I have owned many Diatone p610ma/b myself in the past, I have also lived with Feastrex 5 for many months in the 3-holes box. I have also heard the Feastrex 9 alnico as well as the Feastrex 5 monster alnico...I have to say the Alapir 12 + japanese birch Pencil 12 impressed me the most.

My jaw was on the floor..
Is the dimension of the 'japaness birch pencil 12 the same with Mark-Scott pencil 12? The damping the same?
Old 3rd April 2010, 04:45 PM   #109
diyAudio Member

Yes, the Japanese Birch are made from the standard plan, no dimensional changes. There's no internal bracing since the Birch is very dense.

At the moment, we have 0.2Kg of micro-fill sheet fibre inside each cab.

Cheers

Mark.
Old 7th April 2010, 02:17 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

Just to confirm, the total height is 940mm ?

Thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!