Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 19th April 2010, 01:36 PM   #51
MarkLai is offline MarkLai  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Hi Henkjan,
Thanks for the information.
Alpair5 TL is definitely one of my choice.
I'm also looking for some small box design for Alpair7. The Pencil series is too tall for PC destop.
Any suggestions guys?
Old 19th April 2010, 02:12 PM   #52
Henkjan is offline Henkjan  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

does your desktop allow for a deeper box? in that case you could try a folded pensil.
or a folded TL like the Alpair5 desktopTL.
Old 20th April 2010, 04:58 AM   #53
MarkLai is offline MarkLai  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

>does your desktop allow for a deeper box? in that case you could try a folded pensil.
or a folded TL like the Alpair5 desktopTL.
NO, too bad. Usually the depth of computer desk in Hong Kong is 500mm, 600mm maximum.
Mark Fanlon, do you have other suggestions? thanks
Old 20th April 2010, 05:04 AM   #54
diyAudio Member

Hi MarkL,
I'd suggest following Henkjan on this project. He's done allot of excellent design work using the Alpair 5.

At the moment, we have no stock of Alpair 5 so please bear this in mind. I think you might have a pair of Alpair 5?

Cheers

Mark.
Old 20th April 2010, 08:32 AM   #55
diyAudio Member

I have a pair of CHR-70 in my drawer. I'm planning on using them in an open baffle together with a TB 9x12" LF driver (also open baffle) http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1208_03/w8q-1071f.htm

Anyone have any experience in using the CHR-70 in OB? I intend to cross over between 200 and 300 Hz digitally (MiniDSP/MiniDIGI/MiniAMP set-up).
Old 20th April 2010, 07:23 PM   #56
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

No experience, but with an XO in that vicinity you should be fine

dave
Old 20th April 2010, 10:05 PM   #57
Henkjan is offline Henkjan  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkLai View Post
>does your desktop allow for a deeper box?
NO, too bad. Usually the depth of computer desk in Hong Kong is 500mm, 600mm maximum.
if small space is an issue, and you want something larger than the Alapir5, why not build something with the Alpair6, you know and like this driver... the horn-BR I just completed is as tall as the Alpair5 TL, but the cabinet is less deep
Old 19th May 2010, 07:40 PM   #58
diyAudio Member

Hello
I would like to build my first Speakers. I am still reading about the laws of Acoustics, therefore I am not quite sure about my project:
I will build spherical loudspeakers by combining the CHR-70 Driver with the Ikea "Blanda Salad Bowls". The CHR-70 seems to me a good choice as that broadband driver got good reviews on this forum, looks really nice and is not that expensive. It is also a versatile driver that fits in a whole range of different boxes. (That may be important just in case I mess something up or the resonances in that sphere are too extreme.)

WinIDS Alpha Pro suggests a capacity for the closed box of 6.75 liter.
The Blanda Salad Bowl (wall thickness ca. 1 cm) comes in two different sizes:
a.) External diameter: 28cm -> Capacity approx. 9 liter
b.) External diameter: 20cm -> Capacity approx. 3 liter

The net capacity of the 28 cm sphere is
9 liter of the untouched spere
- 0,5 liter CHR-70 approx.
- 0,062 liter spherical cap (a slice - regarding the inner diameter - of 1.25cm will be cut off. The capacity of the cap is small, it could in this case probably be ignored)
=8.43 liter
===========

If I do the same math for the smaller sphere (hight of inner cap: 1.51 cm -> 0.061 liter) I get a net capacity of 2.44 liter.

Now my questions about deviations:

1.) According to my calculations the 28cm sphere fits better to the CHR-70. The box should have 6.75 liter, in reality it will have 8.43 liter. Does the difference matter?
2.) If I would fit the driver - ignoring all the calculations - into the smaller box of 2.44 liter, will the result be horrible?

Thanks for your answers.
Attached Images
File Type: png CHR-70-Sphere.png (44.1 KB, 433 views)
Old 24th June 2010, 04:13 PM   #59
diyAudio Member

Hi Mark,

Boris recommeded a sealed cabinet for CHR-70. How do you think sealed cabinet?
This is what Boris said:
"Tony, this is my sealed cab design for the Markaudio CHR70. I haven't tried it although I would like to one day. (I had never built a proper cab, just some junk random projects), and I would be delighted if you can try it. Internal volume is 5.7L, the walls should be strengthened by bitumen pads as the walls are on the thin side. I would recommend the use of ply wood over MDF in this design. From the prediction of WinISD, you can get a f3 of 88Hz, f6 of 58Hz. With a bit of equalization, it works as a fine desktop speaker, and with a sub and AV receiver, you can have an excellent Home Theater system if you mate it to a decent sealed sub (maybe Peerless XXLS series with BASH amp)."

Thanks,
Tony.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sealed Cab.jpg (56.3 KB, 351 views)
Old 24th June 2010, 06:13 PM   #60
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

5.7 litre is good. My mMarS70 for the CHR are 5.5 litre. My feeling is that trying to port CHR prefers sealed in anything smaller than 7-8 litres.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!