Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 4th January 2010, 08:54 AM   #41
diyAudio Member

Hi Tony (Musik007)
Welcome to the Diyaudio forum.
Thanks for posting the pic of your Oakwood BR cabinets. Maybe you can post a pic of the cabinets with the newer CHR-70 fitted - thanks.

Many thanks

Mark.
Old 4th January 2010, 03:25 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
Hi Tony (Musik007)
Welcome to the Diyaudio forum.
Thanks for posting the pic of your Oakwood BR cabinets. Maybe you can post a pic of the cabinets with the newer CHR-70 fitted - thanks.

Many thanks

Mark.
Hi Mark,

I'm sorry that one of the new CHR-70 drivers was a bit damaged on the cap by my careless assembly. So remind that the materials of cone and cap are extremely thin and soft. Must be very careful and do not press them.

Thank you very much for your technical help on assembly of Alpair 7 and Alpair 12. I'm so impressive for the sound. I will take some photos for the cabinets of Alpair 7 and 12.
Old 4th February 2010, 11:59 AM   #43
diyAudio Member

Hi Mark,

how were the frequency measurements of the new chr-70 taken? Mounted on infinite baffle?

Regards

Ruediger
Old 4th February 2010, 10:06 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruediger View Post
Hi Mark,
How were the frequency measurements of the new chr-70 taken? Mounted on infinite baffle?
Regards
Ruediger
Hi Ruediger,
On baffle in an anechoic chamber, LMS-V4.
Thx
Mark
Old 5th February 2010, 09:28 AM   #45
diyAudio Member

Default Measurements Peak at 500 Hz

Hi Mark,

thank you for your quick answer. I'm going to put the new chr-70 in a slim BR-enclosure, very similar to the new alpair 7 br-tower.

Front-baffle is around 18 cm wide. I wonder wheather the strong peak at 500 Hz is made by the driver or is a result of measurement conditons. I gave the new frequency-curve into BoxSim and needed a really adventurous capacity 130 uF in the lcr to flatten this peak. I'm quite sure, this must be a problem of my simulation, all real-world-constructions I saw with the chr-70 obviously performed fine with standard LCRs around 0,4 mH, 2-5 OHm, 35 uF.

Regards

Rüdiger
Old 5th February 2010, 10:16 AM   #46
diyAudio Member

The lift in the lower-mids / upper bass of the CHR is deliberate; with a sympathetically designed cabinet it helps to correct for step loss, obviating the need for any passive compensatory circuitry with its concomitant sapping of efficiency and dynamic headroom. That's why I didn't put any BSC filters on the Pencil range of cabinets (inc. the CHR Pencil); they basically don't need it. Nothing's perfect of course & a wide-band driver will always exhibit more deviation from the nominal than something that is more BW limited, but that's just the nature of the beast. Some people like to use a wide-band driver & then stick a couple of dozen notch & shelving filters on it. I never could quite see the point myself, but if it makes them happy, fair enough. As ever, it's a case of 'name your poison.'

Last edited by Scottmoose; 5th February 2010 at 10:44 AM.
Old 5th February 2010, 11:37 AM   #47
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruediger View Post
Hi Mark,

thank you for your quick answer. I'm going to put the new chr-70 in a slim BR-enclosure, very similar to the new alpair 7 br-tower.
Front-baffle is around 18 cm wide. I wonder wheather the strong peak at 500 Hz is made by the driver or is a result of measurement conditons. I gave the new frequency-curve into BoxSim and needed a really adventurous capacity 130 uF in the lcr to flatten this peak. I'm quite sure, this must be a problem of my simulation, all real-world-constructions I saw with the chr-70 obviously performed fine with standard LCRs around 0,4 mH, 2-5 OHm, 35 uF.
Regards
Rüdiger
Hi Rudiger,
It is simulation problem. I design most of our drivers with this lift to reduce the need for heavy BSC correction. Scott's advice is good. Build your system without any filter. Only add some filtering later after you've listened to the speakers for a while if you feel the need. I'm running CHR-70's slim 6.2 litre BR's without any filtering.
Thanks
Mark.
Old 17th April 2010, 02:52 AM   #48
MarkLai is offline MarkLai  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Hi Mark,
Thanks for your hard work to give us all the excellent speakers.
I enjoy very much of my Alpair6 BR and the Alpair6 sealed sphere with a sub too.
My next plan is to built a mini sized computer destop speaker without subwoofer and amp is a GC. My music source is mainly soft music and vocal song, not too much classical music.
For such close field listening, which speaker do you recommanted, CHR70, CHP70, Alpair5 Gold? It seems not too much reference plan for Alpair5! What is your suggestions?
Thanks and regards,
Mark
Old 17th April 2010, 03:06 AM   #49
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkLai View Post
Hi Mark,
Thanks for your hard work to give us all the excellent speakers.
I enjoy very much of my Alpair6 BR and the Alpair6 sealed sphere with a sub too.My next plan is to built a mini sized computer destop speaker without subwoofer and amp is a GC. My music source is mainly soft music and vocal song, not too much classical music.
For such close field listening, which speaker do you recommanted, CHR70, CHP70, Alpair5 Gold? It seems not too much reference plan for Alpair5! What is your suggestions?
Thanks and regards,
Mark
Hi Mark,
Glad you are enjoying the Alpair 6 drivers.

Re desk-top, there's allot of guys using the CHR-70. Its an easy driver to use having good performance for a low price. I'd also suggest taking a look at the CHP-70, classic paper sound. We have a small batch of these new drivers coming into stock very soon. If the budget can stretch, the Alpair 7 will be a sonic up-grade. Given the Alpair 7's extended range to 30-kHz, its a really interesting driver to use on desktop. But any of the others will also do a nice job.
Old 19th April 2010, 12:36 PM   #50
Henkjan is offline Henkjan  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi MarkLai,
I have been listening to my DesktopTL speakers with the Alpair5 at my PC for more than a year, and have been very happy with them (I use them with a T-Amp). See the Markaudio website for the plans (there are also a couple of threads on them in the full range forum). If you don't play loud, this little gem will be all you'll ever want at your PC.

Hide this!Advertise here!