Guys and Dolls and Pejoratives

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
janneman said:

Well Fotios, I don't really understand you.

Lets stick to the facts. You show an amp slewing 3V/uSec and you say "Wow what a speed". Clearly, this is nonsense.
Jan Didden
Only one thing. The word "nonsense" in greek language translated also as: fooliness, stupidity, bool **** etc. Please don't use this word. You can use the words: you have mistake, it is wrong, you make an error. Are finished the words at "nonsense"?
Please
Fotios

Gopher said:
am I missing something here?

Why does this guy think his module is special?

The complaint that i expressed in Janneman, is also in effect for you. I request you a lot; do not express itself with words as GUY for some third person. Even if i know what means this word, in Greek language it can be translated also as: weirdie, clown, scruffy, ridiculous etc. As you will have observed, for this reason i have not used in no one from my posts the word GUY. It does not need of course to remind in you what means the word GUY if it is changed the middle letter. All we that were complicated with English it can – due to speed - we write him error and is caused misunderstanding. For this reason i request from you to be more careful in the words that you use, because here we did not find in the bazaar but in a forum where enter educated persons.
honor
Fotios Anagnostou

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Fotios,
At this point, try to understand that you are on an international forum. We can't look at each word to see if it translates into another meaning in Greek. Please understand that most members are only trying to get a point across and the words they use are not intended as a personal attack. You will understand the meaning from the context it is used in.

So, grow a thicker skin and don't assume people are putting you down. Try to discuss the technical issues only.

If it helps, I am using a Creative X-Fi music Xtrememusic sound card. It works very well. I think you could do good spectrum sweeps with it, just don't try to look at rise time with it. No way it has enough bandwidth for that.

-Chris ;)

Hi,
English is a funny language. Here I am an English speaker on a multi-national forum and I discover that Fotios is correct.

I had assumed that guy meant a male person above childhood age. But, I thought, I better go and check and my copy of Collins also shows shabby clothed (presumably after Guy Fawkes) and to make fun of, as well as other rope type meanings.

I used the word earlier and now realise why Fotios became so annoyed.

Fotios,
Sorry!
I should be more careful with my own language.
I intended male person in the adult age group. I hope male does not upset you.

"Guy" is completely nonpejorative in Standard American English. It's just an informal way of saying "male person." Period.

Since there's 300 million of us and perhaps 10-15% of that in England, the most common usage is the American one. I use it all the time for friends, acquaintances, and strangers alike, and don't believe that I'll start censoring myself. The usage cited is totally nonpejorative.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
"Guy" is used constantly in English . It means "a person" usually a male person, but if someone says "Hey Guys" it means the whole group even if women are involved. It is not offensive in any way in normally used english. There is no reason to apologize for its use.

I agree with spirtos:
Too much noise for nothing.Can we see the schematic now?

EDIT : SY and I cross posted I wouldn't have added my post if I knew that he was also posting.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi SY,
Thanks. That is the point I didn't make. Guys (myself included) tend not to watch their words they use as much as concentrate on the message. Would you agree that that is a "male condition"? ;)

Metro-males communicate better with women. I avoid it. Hurts too much. :D

-Chris

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
fotios said:

The complaint that i expressed in Janneman, is also in effect for you. I request you a lot; do not express itself with words as GUY for some third person. Even if i know what means this word, in Greek language it can be translated also as: weirdie, clown, scruffy, ridiculous etc. As you will have observed, for this reason i have not used in no one from my posts the word GUY. It does not need of course to remind in you what means the word GUY if it is changed the middle letter. All we that were complicated with English it can – due to speed - we write him error and is caused misunderstanding. For this reason i request from you to be more careful in the words that you use, because here we did not find in the bazaar but in a forum where enter educated persons.
honor
Fotios Anagnostou

Fotios,

I really try to understand you, but please observe: you are expected to try to use English; I am not expected to try to use Greek. This IS an English forum, and if a perfectly English word can be interpreted otherwise in Greek, how can we know? Guy is perfect English, and your hint at the word Gay is completely absurd.

Now, can we see the schematic of this module please?

Jan Didden

Edit: cross-posted with several others. Sorry...

The perjorative use of "Guy" was first noted in 1806 (Oxford English Dictionary) and relates to Guy Fawks of gunpowder plot fame. A grotesque stuffed effigy.

This is a very local and limited and antiquated use so I suggest someone gets a more modern dictionary ;) ;)

The joys of non-verbal communication!

^n when the whole world is trying to converse.

SY said:
.....Since there's 300 million of us and perhaps 10-15% of that in England, the most common usage is the American one....
WHAT DO YOU MEAN? England!
There's (in alphabetical order) Australia, Canada, Eire, Isle of Man, New Zealand, Northern Ireland, Wales, Scotland, The channel islands, The Faroes and probably some others that I have omitted. Don't exclude all of us, we consider ourselves just as important. (But one/some Australians do not realise that Scotland is a country ;)).
Then there are those countries that are part of the British Commonwealth that use English as their second language.

kelticwizard said:

That's true, but how many Yiddish speakers are on this forum who would know that?

Well, Yiddish was my first language...

There's (in alphabetical order) Australia, Canada, Eire, Isle of Man, New Zealand, Northern Ireland, Wales, Scotland, The channel islands, The Faroes and probably some others that I have omitted.

Taking those into account, you may change my "10-15%" to "12-17%." The sun has set on the British Empire. ;)

OK, guys, back on topic.

AndrewT said:
WHAT DO YOU MEAN? England!
There's (in alphabetical order) Australia, Canada, Eire, Isle of Man, New Zealand, Northern Ireland, Wales, Scotland, The channel islands, The Faroes and probably some others that I have omitted. Don't exclude all of us, we consider ourselves just as important. (But one/some Australians do not realise that Scotland is a country ;)).
Then there are those countries that are part of the British Commonwealth that use English as their second language.
Bannokburn : Robert the Bruce vs Edward I = 1 - 0
Hip hurrah Scotland! Hip hurrah William Wallace!

AndrewT said:
.......................The Faroes .....................

The Faroese language has its roots in Old Norse from the Viking age. The Vikings, who came mainly from Norway, sailed westwards looking for new land and reached the coasts of Scotland, Shetland, Orkney, the Hebrides, the Faroes and Iceland. At that time Viking culture was uniform and there were few linguistic differences.
In due course, the various countries developed their own culture and Old Norse split into different dialects, dying out completely in some places.
The Faroese language survived as an independent language, but was threatened with extinction. After the reformation, Danish became the language of the church, also the written language and was eventually used in all official matters.

EDIT ......Some say English is not spoken here !!!!!

SY said:
"Guy" is completely nonpejorative in Standard American English. It's just an informal way of saying "male person." Period.

Since there's 300 million of us and perhaps 10-15% of that in England, the most common usage is the American one. I use it all the time for friends, acquaintances, and strangers alike, and don't believe that I'll start censoring myself. The usage cited is totally nonpejorative.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but by now I expect the most common form is Desi English. Even if this isn't yet the case, it surely will be within the next decade.

Example:

Are' yar, why don't you phoren hifi-wallahs learn to speak pukka English? ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.