Filling In Scratches In Clear Plastic Car Dial

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
A friend decided to clean his car's interior one day.

I don't know if he used an abrasive pad or what, but now one of his car readouts is all foggy and scratchy looking.

The dealer, (not under warranty), said he would replace the plastic faceplate for $150. A tad steep, my friend thinks, (and I agree).

He wonders if there is not some substance that can help this. I asked him if it momentarily gets clear when he wets it and he says yes. So I think there probably is a substance which can fill those scratches satisfactorily.

I have seen casting resin, which I linked to right here.

However,it seems to come in fairly large packages, is somewhat expensive, (not too bad), and might constitute overkill.

Anything in a tube smaller or easier? Is there anything which fills in the scratches in plastic eyeglasses?

Joined 2001
SY said:
Have you tried Meguiars Mirror Glaze?

No, but I certainly like the sound of the product. Is that available in hardware stores or must I go on the net to buy?

SY said:
The other thing to try is that stuff that comes in a toothpaste tube used to cover up car scratches- it's a mild abrasive with carnauba wax.
I will try that, although I don't think his faceplate needs more abrasion. But I will try the Mirror Glaze product first.

Joined 2001
Again, thank you for all your responses.

I only mentioned the suggestions here once to him, and he sounded like it was a good idea. I'll mention it to him again this weekend, might even end up giving him a hand with it.

Meguiar's was mentioned a few times, and AutoZone is only two minutes from his house, so we'll give that a shot first. Though the toothpaste bit sounds intruguing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.