Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th December 2006, 03:06 AM   #1
KBK is offline KBK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Massive Magnetic Solar storm

Apparently this has zero press in the US. which is VERY bizarre, to say the least. Here's a report:

Powerful Magnetic Storm Approaches the Earth

The largest electromagnetic energy emission in the last 30 years has been recorded on the Sun, the Shternberg State Astronomy Institute said on Thursday. This energy outburst may damage equipment of space satellites, the scientists say. Doctors warn that the emission is dangerous for those afflicted with cardiovascular illnesses as well as for healthy people.

Scientists at the Shternberg Astronomy Institute of the Moscow State University have reported record-high emissions of electromagnetic energy on the Sun, the biggest since the 1970s. Over the past few days, the volume of sun radiation, or X9, has exceeded the normal level 1,000-fold. The scientists call this phenomenon an anomaly and say that the Sun is now in a stage when sunspots, sources of high electromagnetic radiation, are unusual. “Outbursts on the Sun like this have been extremely infrequent over the past 30 years,” said Igor Nikulin of the Shternberg Institute. “What is more, we have never had a chance to observe such emissions with the sun at its minimal activity.”

Scientists say that the first indications of increased solar activity were recorded on Monday when four sunspots appeared on the eastern part of the visible side of the solar disk. First, the scientists observed flashes on the Sun which were classified as moderate. However, the flashes were followed on Tuesday by massive outbursts of electromagnetic energy. “Such a large cloud of hot plasma has been released into space that even electronic equipment on space satellites may be damaged,” Vladimir Matveev at the Moscow Aviation Institute says.

The Sun’s electromagnetic anomaly has not reached the Earth yet. However, the Earth is expected to reach the sunspots quite soon. The encounter may happen this weekend, scientists at the Shternberg Astronomy Institute report. Igor Nikulin says: “If the area of the sunspots does not diminish in three or four days and the emissions continue, it may have a serious influence on the magnetic field of the Earth.” A cloud of hot plasma from the sunspots will make the Earth’s magnetic field vibrate and will cause a powerful magnetic storm.”

Doctors recommend their patients to keep to a special regime during the magnetic storm. People with cardiovascular illness are believed to be at a particular risk. However, quite healthy people should be on their guard as well. “One should not go overboard with drinking, going to the sauna or doing extra work,” Vladimir Ryabinin, chief physician at the Sklifosovskiy Ambulance Institute, advises. Other doctors suggest that people pay close attention to their health conditions during the days of the magnetic storm and go to consult their doctors in case of any problem.

http://blog.hasslberger.com/2006/12/...little_co.html
Old 13th December 2006, 12:36 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Massive Magnetic Solar storm

Quote:
Originally posted by KBK
Apparently this has zero press in the US. which is VERY bizarre, to say the least.
No one listen to shortwave anymore?
Old 17th December 2006, 11:16 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Solar Storm

.. must be due to global warming... just ask AL

i"the sky is falling, the sky is falling!!!"

auplater
Old 20th December 2006, 05:31 AM   #4
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
The Sun’s electromagnetic anomaly has not reached the Earth yet. However, the Earth is expected to reach the sunspots quite soon. The encounter may happen this weekend, scientists at the Shternberg Astronomy Institute report.
This was posted December 12th. That weekend came and went. Nothing happened.

Quote:
Doctors recommend their patients to keep to a special regime during the magnetic storm. People with cardiovascular illness are believed to be at a particular risk. However, quite healthy people should be on their guard as well. “One should not go overboard with drinking, going to the sauna or doing extra work....”
I'm on high blood pressure medication. This weekend, I had a little wine. Nothing happened.
Old 20th December 2006, 11:35 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kelticwizard

This was posted December 12th. That weekend came and went. Nothing happened.

I'm on high blood pressure medication. This weekend, I had a little wine. Nothing happened.
I dunno... I was listening to "Beatles Remastered", and I swear I heard John say "Paul is dead"... as the cd player started running weird for an instant... I also heard a swishing sound while in my hottub saturday nite... maybe the "solar wind?"
Old 21st December 2006, 12:55 AM   #6
KBK is offline KBK  Canada
diyAudio Member

I've no idea what the whole thing was about. Nothing happened here iether. Not even any pretty lights, which I would have enjoyed.

All I know is one thing - that it's better to be paranoid than to be dead. So I posted it, in case folks cared to know. A simple FYI.
Old 21st December 2006, 12:58 AM   #7
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Ditto. Ditto. Ditto, unless you count the buzz as something happening.
Old 25th December 2006, 10:48 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Well, something happened here! ... Christmas came !!!

" ... this has zero press in the US. which is VERY bizarre, to say the least. ..."

Probably NOT ... not very bazaar considering the sun spot people lost their funding = no more sun spot reports here in the lower states = no more sun spots?

http://solarscience.msfc.nasa.gov/SunspotCycle.shtml

http://solarscience.msfc.nasa.gov/images/zurich.gif = no news is good news?

Old 26th December 2006, 03:48 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Is there any natural radio listener's here that got any good whistler's out of this? My location is too noisy
Old 29th December 2006, 10:57 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Location: kansas city mo, and on occasion, around the world ...
does't matter

it killed everyone

we just don't know/haven't woke up yet

http://www.electric-cosmos.org/sun.htm

Really Large Squid near Sun
Attached Images
File Type: jpg solarflare.jpg (67.7 KB, 68 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!