Old Wives' (farmer's) tale - drainage? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th July 2006, 09:18 AM   #1
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Question Old Wives' (farmer's) tale - drainage?

Hi,
a few farmers and keen gardeners have said that removing stones from the top soil will ruin the drainage. i.e. the top soil becomes waterlogged.

Is that true?

On what basis is that statement founded?

I plan to plant a grass lawn (not cannabis) and I'm removing the stones at the surface to give a nice layer for seeding. The top soil is quite sandy with much gravel and grit, almost no clay fraction and low fraction of silt.

Should I put the stones back in?
Old 16th July 2006, 10:39 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
Top soil is not the surface of the soil but rather a unspecified depth of below the surface before you hit the next layer down.

As you are just removing the stones etc from the surface there should be no problems - I can't see Glenneagles having rocks and stones all over the course!

The stones etc give the soil below some 'structure' which stops it compacting overly and allow water to run/collect depending on the climate.

Just rake the top over, tamp it down and lay your seed. You can add sand to the top surfece but it sounds like you already have.

Have fun.
Old 16th July 2006, 11:36 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I did not add any sand, I think the top soil I imported from an adjacent farm is already sandy enough.
Old 16th July 2006, 09:45 PM   #4
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

If your soil is sandy, I don't think you will have problems with drainage, possibly quite the opposite. More likely you need to add organic mat'l like compost, etc....to retain water.

If you are serious aboutr it, you may be able to ask someone at your local college horticulture department, or pay a small fee to have your soil analysed.
Old 16th July 2006, 10:01 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The structure of the soil has nothing at all to do with "rocks" or no rocks
Soil structure has to do with the particles and the distibution of certain minerals (montmorillonit) and organic matter adhereing to that mineral "backbone".

I live in an area where the soils are basically clay, which is ok if you add alot of compost to create the proper soil status over time.
This then assure a well drained soil, nothing else. If you just add sand to a clay soil - you get loam, but still no drainage.

Remember - compost is always the cats meow for any soil.

BTW - I had studied agrology in an earlier life, so some of the finer points of soil development are long forgotten, but the basics are still there - and we created a fine producing garden with >12" of topsoil on top of the native clay over 15 years.
Old 16th July 2006, 10:53 PM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

Gardening? Gardening! You guys worry me!
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 16th July 2006, 11:30 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Gardening? Gardening! You guys worry me!
nothing wrong with it, watching the wife taking care of the garden while sitting on the veranda, sipping a cool one and listening to some songs...
Old 17th July 2006, 01:34 AM   #8
lndm is offline lndm  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by audio-kraut
compost is always the cats meow for any soil.
Absolutely, it breaks down clay and builds up sand. It contains humus which is the ideal middle ground. It adds nutrients.

Be sure to Ph test. You may need to adjust the soil, or choose an appropriate variety of grass.
Old 17th July 2006, 07:52 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi all
I know that you are all being most helpful, although the neighbours might object to the music on the verandah but how does this work
Quote:
builds up sand
on a scientific basis it sound's like "alchemist's gold"
Old 17th July 2006, 08:20 AM   #10
lndm is offline lndm  Australia
diyAudio Member

I'm not the expert here, but here goes.

Sand is just soil devoid of nutrients. Good soil needs to have a crumb structure to retain both air and moisture simultaneously. Organic matter binds the sand by coating the particles with humus and creating crumbs. Good soil will form a ball when you squeeze a handful of it and will break apart when you drop it.

Hide this!Advertise here!