Shunyata Power Cords.... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th June 2006, 04:48 AM   #1
Voltaic is offline Voltaic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Shunyata Power Cords....

Since this is nothing but a rant, I decided to put it in the off-topic forum. Maybe I'm way off base here (although I highly doubt it) but I was browsing the internet today and came across Shunyata brand power products such as this: Power Cord and the only thing I can say is: anyone who pays $1,100 for a power cord, should be shot to death with a ball of their own poop, I'm sorry if my opinion offends anyone here.. but seriously, people must just be morons to do something like that.

what's your opinion?
Old 29th June 2006, 06:02 AM   #2
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

From the website:
Quote:
Usually Ships 1 to 2 business days
What gets me is that this guy gets people to pay him over a $1000 for a 6 ft power cord, but it still takes him a couple of days to send it after getting the money.

If I ever convinced anyone to send me that kind of money for something that can't cost me more then a few dollars, you can be sure it would be shipped out to them within an hour of receiving verification of their credit card.

Take the money and run, I say.
Old 29th June 2006, 11:59 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Much the same opinion over here.
But if someone says that he can hear an improvement, how do we approve or disapprove. It's better to leave him to his fate.
Actually the smart guy should have stated "usually ships in a week".
More moolah for the taking
Old 29th June 2006, 01:08 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I always wonder if they rewire the whole house and ask their power company to change to such cables between their house and the transformer and ask the power company to switch to aufiophile grade transformers. Of course, if it is just an ordinary power cable with an RFI filter, then I can see the point, but that is obviously not the case, and it wouldn't cost much to make such a cable.

Oh well, I recently read about a study of pain killers which showed that placebo worked just as well as the real stuff for certain types of pain.
Old 30th June 2006, 06:49 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Christer
Oh well, I recently read about a study of pain killers which showed that placebo worked just as well as the real stuff for certain types of pain.
Reminds me of a study done by Princeton University (I think it was them) about the social effects of alcohol, they put a bunch of people in a room, ave half of em beer, and half of em non-alcoholic beer, and the people drink the non-alcoholic crap acted totally drunk, was hilarious. I hate drunk people.
Old 2nd July 2006, 03:33 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Voltaic

Reminds me of a study done by Princeton University (I think it was them) about the social effects of alcohol, they put a bunch of people in a room, ave half of em beer, and half of em non-alcoholic beer, and the people drink the non-alcoholic crap acted totally drunk, was hilarious. I hate drunk people.

Yes, it might be the same study I read about many many years ago, but they also studied groups of people from different cultures. It turns out that while many people from western cultures, for instance, tend to get irritable, offensive and even violent when they drink, this is an unknown phenomenon in certain other cultures, where people only get happy and in good mood (or yet something else). The interesting thing was that when they did those blind tests on people from different cultures, placebo made people behave just as those from the same culture who got the real stuff. They drew the conclusion that maybe the alcohol itself doesn't cause people to behave in a certain way (except for obvious things like bad motorics etc.) but that people have culturally dependent expectations about how one should behave when drunk (most probably subconcious expectationa). If you get violent when you get drunk, you also get violent when getting placebo, and if you get in good mode when drunk you get in good mode from placebo.
Old 2nd July 2006, 05:29 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

That sounds very reasonable to me, maybe I'll do a blind test on some of my friends, and see how it turns out
Old 2nd July 2006, 05:54 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I guess a blind test regarding alcohol would mean serving the test subjects methanol?
Old 2nd July 2006, 11:59 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

we'll stick to ethanol, I don't wanna blind anyone here
Old 3rd July 2006, 01:04 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Voltaic
we'll stick to ethanol, I don't wanna blind anyone here
Yes, but we talked about bilnd test.

Don't know if you missed my joke, or if you countered with some joke I didn't get.

Hide this!Advertise here!