Invasion of the ants!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The warm winter and record breaking wet weather along the mountains here has cause an unprecidented explosion in ant population in Rosedale/Agassiz :(

I've found several non-toxic recipes (we have cats) for ridding them, but I can't get them to take the bait.

According to my research, most ants like sugary stuff, syrup or sugar water and to a lesser extent, food fats. Well, these guys don't like either :xeye:

They are little red fellas 5-7mm long and aren't really attacking anything, not the woodwork or food or us, they are just *there*. Their mandibles aren't "pinching" or sharp like most other ant species I've seen out here, they look rather large and clumsy, like for carrying (Google is kind of useless for BC ant species). They also run from light.

Oddly enough, the only thing I've seen them gnaw on is a power cord :confused:

(Gah! Typical animal in the house.... chewing on the power cords!)

Any advice would be appreciated.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Usually, the way to get rid of ants is to spray insecticide along the very bottom of the outside of the house, right at the meeting point of the dirt and the house.

I suppose you can keep your cats inside for a day or two, if you are worried about toxicity. Most insecticides smell bad, though, I doubt your cats will be interested once you let them out.

Cal Weldon said:
Wide double sided tape and a spot of honey in the centre.

Or here's an idea, an ant trap ;)

They are ignoring the traps :(

But the tape idea is a good one. I'll try it.

I'm watching one play with an ant right now. Takes forever to kill it. Just keeps pushing it around. I don't think he knows there are others if that one stops moving.

Same result here :D

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Ant traps ain't worth a damn. Hit or miss.

If worse comes to worse, try the same remedy as for cockroaches.

Boric acid.

Cheap, effective, and have gotten rid of ants with it. Takes a couple of weeks, though.

Same process as cockroaches. The ants drag it back to their nest, then it poisons the rest of the invading army. Try it. But be prepared to wait for a couple of weeks to see results.

do you think they could be a type of carpenter ant?

http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/carp.htm

I have seen them in red or black of about 5-7mm.

If it is carpenter ants, they aren't too bad to deal with. They are nocturnal and do not live in mounds.
Hey, feel lucky being in Canada, you don't have to content with fire ants.:D They can eat you up before you even realize you are standing on the mound.:cuss: Fun to torment with firecrackers though.:clown:

Of course, you could be in Austrailia...they have some really nice ants there....bullldog, jackjumpers and such.

Or the Siafu of Africa

http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.