Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd May 2006, 03:08 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
To ease a blame on myself for using forum for profit, I just donated $200 to the forum, on account of A30 board sale, just a small chunk of what I actually made, but I'm not thinking about selling ML37 yet

I noticed only 202 transaction for a forum account, which shows that Begathon is not that popular after all.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 2nd May 2006, 03:15 PM   #22
Account Disabled

If we open a GB, we should always think of profit for one or many bottles of beer, or CD transport, or more. Why not?

Only problem is that we are confused whether diyAudio is turning into a play ground mainly for GB activities (of others) . . . The point is that the GB avalanches eat up new potential things and their real interests.

Regards
Old 2nd May 2006, 03:28 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
It does that, because people treat GB as income opportunity.

With no profit involved, you would see much less so called GB. And I mean here, no personal profit whatsoever, it's the only way for group buys to exist on this forum and not interfere with potential interesting discussions.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 2nd May 2006, 09:58 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
Same disclaimer as my last post. Same disagreement.

Group Buys are voluntary collaborations between consenting individuals for their own benefit. They are in no sense "sponsored" by this forum nor any of the other forums I use that have similar activity.
If the moderators police them in ANY way, then group buys are sponsored.

BTW, I never said that DIYAudio.com must be named on all group buy projects. I said *IF* a name must be used, let it be DIYAudio.com. If someone wants to use a trading name, let them pay for an advertiser's thread.

What about the rest of the points in my earlier post?

If someone is carrying or replenishing stock, how is it a group buy?

If someone is using a trading name (other than DIYAudio.com), how is it a group buy?

If someone sets up an eCommerce site, how is it a group buy?
Old 2nd May 2006, 10:36 PM   #25
diyAudio Moderator

All GBs are different, so setting formal rules is difficult, but I will try to answer your questions.

1)The GB might have continual interest, take for instance, the Bob Ellis Filter PCB group buy. Even after the first run was completed, there was still enough interest for a second.

2) Some people like to see a website with their name on it. I can handle that.

3) Sometimes setting up an E-commerce site may be the best way for them to keep everything in order, and reconcile payments with orders. This GB stuff gets very complicated very quickly, so why not let software take the strain

Now I'm not saying they are the only reasons why people would do the above things, but they are good enough reasons that we can't automatically use them as evidence of profit motive.
Old 2nd May 2006, 11:21 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkmouse
Now I'm not saying they are the only reasons why people would do the above things, but they are good enough reasons that we can't automatically use them as evidence of profit motive.
I said nothing about proving profit motive. That is too nebulous a thing. There is no point in having virtually unenforcable rules aside from a desire to be able to act arbitrarily in enforcement. The rules I propose define what is a "group buy", not what is "profit motive." An equally important goal for my rules is to pin down what MODERATORS do.

Besides, a potential non-monetary profit IS being made in using a trading name to organise group buys. It defies logic to assert otherwise.

These rules would in no way prevent someone from making their own external site and using a trade name. They'd just be subject to the same rules here as other advertisers.

All of the benefits of an eCommerce site can be made by posting links to PayPal HERE, within the group buy threads. There is NO NEED for an external site.
Old 2nd May 2006, 11:27 PM   #27
Banned

Here's a fine example:

Quote:
Originally posted by DcibeL
Russ isn't selling anything Carlos. Twisted Pair Audio is nothing more than an "organized group buy".

Is it?
I don't see any thread on Vendor's Bazaar, and even more incredible, not one single thread on Group Buys.
Probably they started the ecommerce site so that they had quantity discounts on PCBs for their own use?
Over and over again?
What I see is threads on almost all the tematic forums here, offering and discussing their kits.
I don't think this is serious.
I don't have anything against people making money out of their projects, and if using others' ideas, with the necessary permission.
But on the proper places, otherwise it can be seen as spam.
Old 2nd May 2006, 11:29 PM   #28
baald is online now baald  United States
diyAudio Member

i think a group buy of valium is defintely in order here....

the mod's seem to be eminently sensible in their decisions and explanations. why add more rules? what/where is the actual damage resultant form their policies?

I for one appreciate any and all opportunites to buy otherwise hard to procure components without commiting to large quantities. if someone is making too much money, won't the market take care of that by not participating in a particular group buy?

seems much ado over nothing to me....

baald
Old 2nd May 2006, 11:36 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by baald
i think a group buy of valium is defintely in order here....

the mod's seem to be eminently sensible in their decisions and explanations.
You might wish to pay more attention to what the moderators do before suggesting medication:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...669#post906669
Old 3rd May 2006, 12:20 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by anatech
And that link proves exactly what? It's you looking for an answer that does not exist yet.
I think it's fair to say that no matter which way the situation is resolved, some party will have a legitimate grievance specifically due to past moderator action (or inaction) in similar circumstances. This demonstrates a need for rules, for which it is suggested that I need to take a valium. I think the link is appropriate to this discussion.

Hide this!Advertise here!