Jumper on the bridge; calling 911 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th April 2006, 09:34 AM   #1
Nixie is offline Nixie  Canada
Banned

Default Jumper on the bridge; calling 911

I was walking across the Granville bridge in Vancouver from downtown tonight because I missed my bus and was going to catch another one on the other side. There was an old woman leaning on the rail, crying loudly, obviously very disturbed. I thought there's some chance she may be planning to jump, but I couldn't really tell. I didn't stop by to try to talk to her, you know you don't want to get involved, plus could make it worse. I was trying to decide if to call 911. Several other people walked by but no one called. I ended up walking past her a hundred meters and calling... first time I've called 911 that wasn't a prank call (previously I'd call 911 on a pay phone and leave it hanging, so the cops have to come and check it out etc.)... The cop kept me on the phone until they showed up. About a dozen other people walked by in the meantime, and the cop said no one else called. It was amazing, the cops showed up out of nowhere; I was watching for them and still didn't notice them until they were pretty much there. They parked behind the bridge peak so you didn't see the police car... came up among the other walkers by, and you just didn't notice them until they got there. Turns out it looked like she was really going to jump, and they had like three police cars and an ambulance arrive eventually, and I left. The cop made me give my name on the phone, which sucks. I could have made up a name, but they have my cell number since I called with it. It was very disturbing, and didn't feel real to see this because I've never been around a situation like that. And the fact that no one else called, and that I almost didn't call myself is bothering me, I mean how do you decide correctly every time... if I was in a different mood I may not have called. And if I hadn't missed my bus, I wouldn't have gone over the bridge at all, so just lucky...
Old 27th April 2006, 04:58 AM   #2
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Well, the same thing which made you think this was not really a jumper or a tragedy about to happen probably made everyone else think the same thing. You live in a big city, and the sheer volume of people around reduces the responsibility of each one to step forward, on the theory that statistically somebody else must have done it.

Actually, the fact that so many people walked by her sort of implies that things are not that amiss, so just keep on walking. You fell into the same line of thinking until you jogged yourself out of it.

The important thing is that you broke from the crowd and called, and apparently everything is okay.
Old 9th May 2006, 11:32 PM   #3
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Nixie,
It was nice that you showed some concern. More people should.

I wonder if she dropped her cat over the side? -Sorry, maybe a little insensitive of me.

-Chris
Old 9th May 2006, 11:35 PM   #4
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Well, the same thing which made you think this was not really a jumper or a tragedy about to happen probably made everyone else think the same thing. You live in a big city, and the sheer volume of people around reduces the responsibility of each one to step forward, on the theory that statistically somebody else must have done it.
Kitty Genovese.
Old 9th May 2006, 11:52 PM   #5
diyAudio Moderator

Did Kitty have a cell phone?
Old 10th May 2006, 12:26 AM   #6
Banned

Heh, I guess the collapsed lung was Providence getting me back for making that phone call
Old 10th May 2006, 12:28 AM   #7
diyAudio Moderator

Nixie,
I should have asked. How are you feeling today?

-Chris
Old 10th May 2006, 01:08 AM   #8
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Chris:

Happened in 1964. Very famous case in New York. Here.

So Nixie, how are things? Glad to see you posting.
Old 10th May 2006, 01:18 AM   #9
Banned

I'm home now. Good regiment of painkillers but should be fine...I'll find out when I have X-rays Thursday if it's still leaking air.
Old 10th May 2006, 01:27 PM   #10
diyAudio Moderator

Hi kelticwizard,
Thank you sir!
That explains SY's comment very well then. Same syndrome for sure.

Good luck with your xrays Nixie.

-Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!