Defeating the ebay scammers (long!)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Stocker said:
Guys, if you want to be sure of a good result on ebay, check the feedback.

Feedback is essentially useless because it is overwhelmingly positive. People don't post negative feedback because they feel they will get negative feedback from the buyer in retaliation. Sellers seem to feel jilted even to get neutral feedback.

In the end, negative feedback is neither incentive for the seller, nor a weapon for the buyer because the seller can just post some fabrication about the buyer and vice versa.

A relative bought something for ~$1000 on ebay from a rebutable seller with huge + feedbac and %. They had to fight for 4 months with ebay and paypal to get their money back from a nonperforming seller.

On any web transaction with an individual that involves more than a few dollars, do not pay by a non recoverable financial vehicle.

Never wire transnfer, never postal money order (I know, many demand them, too bad, no sale). COD is not a bad compromise, the seller can demand cashiers check only for payment, and you at least have a box (possibly empty) in your hands with tracking information.

Credit cards seem best. If you're scammed, stop payment tell the bank the merchandise never showed up, you get a refund and suddenly the might of some national bank gets involved because they want their money back. I assure you e-bay will not blow them off.

Better than "binary" (+ or -) feedback would be a rating system that neither buyer or seller could see before the transaction is completed by both parties.

The buyer has the most to lose so they should have the most to say. The seller's main concern is that they get paid.

Buyer rates the seller on a scale of 1 to 5 (or -2 to +2, zero being neutral). on the following:
Accuracy of product description - must give specific example if negative
Packaging
Shipping promptness
Quality of communication (if there was any)
overall

Seller rates the buyer on:
speed of payment
understanding the terms of sale
quality of communication (if there was any)
overall

The seller and buyer would have colored bars under their handle to show the ratings. Ratings as a buyer and as a seller would be separate.

Yup, scams abound.

I've found that Craigslist also has the same problem (especially the Nigerian/African pick-up scam).

Best to see of you can just buy/sell locally at first, or get a phone number to talk to the person to see if they have any clue what they are selling (phone cards are cheaper than the cash you might lose).

Feedback is essentially useless because it is overwhelmingly positive. People don't post negative feedback because they feel they will get negative feedback from the buyer in retaliation. Sellers seem to feel jilted even to get neutral feedback

I recently sold a CDM-1 mech to an gentleman from Taiwan,through Ebay.
After nothing for a week,he eventually appologised,saying he was away on business(this is the third time I have had this problem).
Anyway,a couple of days later during an email conversation,he said he did not want the item.
I was in two minds about leaving neg feedback for the exact reason stated above,and I felt angry and frustrated that I had wasted time and money listing the item.
To round this reply off,I decided to post a neutral,only to find that he had up sticks and was no longer a registered user.
I have since spotted him under another I.D. so it would have been pointless leaving feedback anyway.

Cheers,
Simon.

Ron E said:
Feedback is essentially useless because it is overwhelmingly positive. People don't post negative feedback because they feel they will get negative feedback from the buyer in retaliation. Sellers seem to feel jilted even to get neutral feedback.

Although it's swimming against a huge current nowadays, as a buyer I never leave feedback first. Ever. The seller knows whether or not he's happy when he gets payment and that's when he should leave the feedback.

And yes, I sell and I always leave feedback first. Always.

Naturally Ebay's negative feedback system doesn't work.
A seller with hundreds of positives hold you hostage.
They never leave a positive for you after you completed the
deal by sending him the money. No, they wait for your feedback,
and it's better be positive. So you have to make up a couple of
rules as a buyer. Never get excited on any sales offering, an
other comes up next day or week. Only buy from people with 100
or min. 98% feedback. Make it a habit to check the feedback profile
every time for substance and also check the seller's other items.
Miklos

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.