More engineering humor - Page 56 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th December 2009, 08:21 PM   #551
star882 is offline star882  United States
diyAudio Member

I knew those programs are way overhyped. Except maybe some of the newer versions including the EE/CS (Electrical Engineering/Computer Science) editions. But those operate under a new model that involves distributed computing...
Old 13th December 2009, 09:57 PM   #552
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Call me oldfashioned, can't you just Boot (of choice) it in the Fast upper Lane 10 ?
Old 13th December 2009, 10:27 PM   #553
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by star882 View Post
I knew those programs are way overhyped. Except maybe some of the newer versions including the EE/CS (Electrical Engineering/Computer Science) editions. But those operate under a new model that involves distributed computing...
Be careful of free Open Source OS packages as some have reported getting some nasty viruses from the download sites. Practice safe computing!!
Old 14th December 2009, 01:42 AM   #554
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c2cthomas View Post
Be careful of free Open Source OS packages as some have reported getting some nasty viruses from the download sites. Practice safe computing!!
That's really only an issue with "primary links" in direct register access mode. Fortunately, specifications limit the number of simultaneous primary links to one. (When that specification is violated, the results are usually bad.) And there's supposed to be a security check before direct register access can occur. (I just don't allow any direct register access as I do not want another peer using up my resources to compile code... In fact, I do not allow any primary links as managing such a link uses up lots of CPU cycles.)

What's really interesting is that there doesn't seem to be any hard rule for compatibility. As an example, peer "Mike" (EE/CS edition) is primary linked to peer "Allie" (Biological/Animal Science edition) - a combination that seems to be incompatible but actually appears to work fine. Direct register access (or whatever it is in B/AS edition) has not been tested as there is insufficient free memory to run intensive compiles. That group is a good source of information, though, so I'm keeping my secondary link to them. In fact, I'm going to propagate some of the information to this packet in that they have an idea to run cars from fat using cells similar to the ones in electric eels.

Wait a minute, cars that run from fat? That's my dream! I'm definitely upgrading the level of the secondary link to them. (I would really want to test drive a fat-powered Prius once a working prototype is available...)
Old 14th December 2009, 03:12 AM   #555
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by star882 View Post
Wait a minute, cars that run from fat? That's my dream! I'm definitely upgrading the level of the secondary link to them.
Here in da South that would be regarded as a perpetual motion device and violate several laws of physics pertaining to over-unity.

We would attempt to modify said over unity device by installing it into a 4 X 4 pick-em-up truck with 4 ft. mud tires.

In da photo below we actually got one of 'em to defy the laws of gravity and levitate! Welllll - sorta levitate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 129_0803_12_z+1978_ford_f250+side_view_jump.jpg (89.5 KB, 413 views)

Last edited by c2cthomas; 14th December 2009 at 03:14 AM.
Old 14th December 2009, 03:39 AM   #556
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c2cthomas View Post
Here in da South that would be regarded as a perpetual motion device and violate several laws of physics pertaining to over-unity.
In theory, it is perfectly possible to power a car from fat since fat is a form of stored energy. (And there's plenty of fat in America!) The trick is getting it into a usable form. Allie's idea is to convert the fat into electricity using cells based on the ones in electric eels. Then Mike's idea is to use power electronics to convert that electricity into a form that can power an electric motor to get mechanical energy. Connect the motor to the wheels through a set of gears and the car moves on the power of fat!
Old 14th December 2009, 08:18 AM   #557
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Apparantly you haven't seen GM's 2012 Fat-Reducing-Economic-Drive model yet, the new technology enables additional savings on chassis weight.
(the high-performance package Bamm-Bamm will be available on Cadillac models only)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fred.jpg (155.3 KB, 386 views)

Last edited by jacco vermeulen; 14th December 2009 at 08:33 AM.
Old 14th December 2009, 12:23 PM   #558
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

I have the supply side figured out - now I need to come up with a mobile lyposuction van to follow the 1st one around.

Hmmmm... that's a pretty big truck. I wonder who many eel's I'm gonna need to run it? We will also need some new EPA estimates on mileage - Miles per eel or miles per pound of fat???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fatmobile.jpg (36.8 KB, 369 views)

Last edited by c2cthomas; 14th December 2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10th August 2010, 01:05 PM   #559
ratza is offline ratza  Romania
diyAudio Member

Pretty misogynist, but cool.

Difference between a fuse and a woman: fuse blows only once.
Old 11th August 2010, 04:31 AM   #560
diyAudio Member

One day, an electrical engineer invented a new plasma ignition system, codenamed the Tiffany Yep, that reduces engine fuel consumption by 20%. Here are the results:

Chrysler: They refused to use the new technology. Then they go bankrupt...

Ford: They cheaped out on the electronic components, causing the infamous "Found On Road Dead" syndrome at 40,000 miles. Massive recalls ensue...

General Motors: They put the system in a big SUV and bragged about the 25MPG rating. Then they're surprised about the disappointing sales and ask the government for a bailout...

Volkswagen: They were excited, until they found that it doesn't work on TDIs because TDIs don't have spark plugs...

Toyota: The only car they used the technology in is the Prius, so they had an amazing 63MPG car that kept selling out in the days of $6 gasoline...

Honda: They offered the technology in the Accord and Civic as part of the hybrid package, and is standard in the Insight. They then no longer offer it in the Accord due to low sales...

Hyundai: The new Sonata takes the world by surprise with its 44MPG rating...

The tree-hugging backyard mechanic: He built his own open source version of the Tiffany Yep in his own electronics lab at home, then installed it on an Atkinson cycle lean-burn engine he just rebuilt. Finally, he puts the engine along with his homemade hybrid drivetrain into a heavily aero-modified Civic body. He watches the Scangauge indicate an average of 150MPG after a long test drive and he exclaims, "Yep, it works!"

No wonder America is dependent on foreign oil...

Hide this!Advertise here!