Simple Killer Amp - Listening impressions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th January 2006, 05:01 AM   #1
hifryer is offline hifryer  Australia
diyAudio Member

Wink Hugh Dean AKSA

I am a long term lurker!
I know Hugh Dean (AKSA) fairly well and will now unveil him!!

1. Hugh is FAR more the engineer than he ever lets on.
2. He has the most lucid and detailed grasp of how amplifiers REALLY work than any engineer I know and that any SPICE model will ever reveal ( tough luck pseudo objectivists).
3. He starts with strong theory and LOTS of measurements.
4. He KNOWS why simple is often better and the hidden deficiencies in complex ( e.g. current mirrors, tight active regulation etc).
4. BUT He then goes on for MANY hours with painstaking changes & listening tests to turn the proverbial sows ear into the silk purse.
5. This cost is why AKSA is worth many times its parts cost!!!

Belief in mathematical models alone is total folly. They are models NOT real world devices!!

We all ( hopefully ) end up building what sounds best to us! BUT all our ears are different!! They is an amp out there waiting for everyone!! ;-)

cheers!!
Old 8th January 2006, 05:51 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Hugh Dean AKSA

Quote:
Originally posted by hifryer
I am a long term lurker!
I know Hugh Dean (AKSA) fairly well and will now unveil him!!

1. Hugh is FAR more the engineer than he ever lets on.
2. He has the most lucid and detailed grasp of how amplifiers REALLY work than any engineer I know and that any SPICE model will ever reveal ( tough luck pseudo objectivists).
3. He starts with strong theory and LOTS of measurements.
4. He KNOWS why simple is often better and the hidden deficiencies in complex ( e.g. current mirrors, tight active regulation etc).
4. BUT He then goes on for MANY hours with painstaking changes & listening tests to turn the proverbial sows ear into the silk purse.
5. This cost is why AKSA is worth many times its parts cost!!!

Belief in mathematical models alone is total folly. They are models NOT real world devices!!

We all ( hopefully ) end up building what sounds best to us! BUT all our ears are different!! They is an amp out there waiting for everyone!! ;-)

cheers!!
Hifryer,

Big ditto here on that one!

HD comes up with and has tried more interesting ideas than I've
had hot dinners!

Cheers,

Terry
Old 8th January 2006, 06:00 AM   #3
Account Disabled

Hi fryer,

That's great news ... but maybe you should be placing your hugh dean appreciation testimonials on his 'must read' list and not here. Looks like a 'put up' and classic threadjacking.

This, after all, is a thread started by rellum, discussing the listening qualities of the SKA. Maybe the Hugh Dean appreciation society could start their own thread.

Ditto Terry. Fair go mate.

Cheers,
greg
Old 8th January 2006, 06:11 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi Greg,

Don't worry too much, anything that keeps this thread "popping to the top" is good for you. I wouldn't be surprised if it generates a few sales.

regards
Old 8th January 2006, 06:34 AM   #5
Account Disabled

Hi Greg #1,

Yeah, I guess - I'm just not so mercenary. There are quite a few SKA constructors, soon to surface and this is an ideal thread to express their impressions, good or bad.

Cheers,
Greg
Old 8th January 2006, 07:54 AM   #6
hifryer is offline hifryer  Australia
diyAudio Member

Oh well, flamed on my first post.

Not familiar with posting to this Forum. Looks like I got the wrong thread. Sorry guys.

Some of you guys seem a bit more uptight than I had hoped!

Is there an AKSA thread where I should have posted?

Keep smiling
Old 8th January 2006, 08:45 AM   #7
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Greg,

I would suggest you start a thread with subject 'SKA Listening Impressions', and move the reviews here into it. Newcomers will go to that thread first up if that's their interest.

It is very difficult to control these threads; the idea of an open forum is that people say what they like, and control implies censorship implies strong commercial interest.

You might speak with John Reekie of Audiocircle (he's in Newport Beach in Sydney) and see if you can arrange a dedicated manufacturers forum. This has worked well for Aspen.

I am the first to say that I think your circuit is very clever, even novel; but in truth there is hardly anything new under the sun. So much depends on component choice, layout and dimensioning, too. My apologies if you think this threadjack was contrived; it just happened spontaneously, in fact.

Cheers,

Hugh
Old 8th January 2006, 09:11 AM   #8
Account Disabled

Hi fryer,

...."Is there an AKSA thread where I should have posted?"

Indeed there is fryer, and it was created by linup half an hour before your post.. rather hard to miss on top?

Hi Hugh,

All the clearly contrived efforts to belittle the extraordinary sonic achievement (yes this is something very new under the sun) of the SKA by obfuscation have proved quite transparent.

It really is a great starting point for anyone experimenting with amplifiers to start with something really clean and accurate with no tiresome nature.. tweakers can then play with sympathetic distortions like you favour, at will, always knowing there is an accurate fall back position. A great point to start often futile parameter deviations, wouldn't you say? (rhetorical question)

It is not my role to re-engineer this thread - started by a fellow DIYer. I simply designed the amplifier. I want to hear DIY builders impressions as much as others here. Lets respect rellums topic.

Cheers,
Greg
Old 8th January 2006, 09:35 AM   #9
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hmmm........
Old 8th January 2006, 09:56 AM   #10
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by amplifierguru
All the clearly contrived efforts to belittle the extraordinary sonic achievement (yes this is something very new under the sun) of the SKA by obfuscation have proved quite transparent
Transparent, as in invisible? I see no obfuscation.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?

Hide this!Advertise here!