Things to put on popcorn - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th February 2005, 05:35 AM   #1
Prune is offline Prune  Canada
Account Disabled

Default Things to put on popcorn

I'm tired of just butter and salt for my popcorn, so I'm looking for other suggestions -- and not sweet stuff like caramel, as I prefer savory popcorn. The best thing I've found this far is whole egg mayonnaise.
Old 7th February 2005, 09:46 AM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

A mix of salt and ground dried chipotle, added right as the popping is finished. mmmmmm.
Old 7th February 2005, 09:51 AM   #3
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
... ground dried chipotle...
What?
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 7th February 2005, 09:59 AM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

It's a type of food product that actually has flavor. Sorry, I forget that British people read this forum, too.
Old 7th February 2005, 10:13 AM   #5
diyAudio Moderator

That's ok SY, we still have culinary influences from our empire here in the UK, personally, I like cumin, ginger and chilli mix on my popcorn.

Al/ unsure how to repond to criticism about flavour from a country that invented cheese in a spraycan
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 7th February 2005, 10:22 AM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

That was invented in Germany.

I do apologize, though- I thought of a British invention that does have flavor, Marmite. Not a good flavor, mind you, it's reminiscent of rotten corpses, but it is a flavor nonetheless.
Old 7th February 2005, 10:32 AM   #7
diyAudio Moderator

I'm still amazed by American coffee. How you guys manage to produce something via a simple process that removes virtually any taste of the original ingredient is nothing short of miraculous.
Old 7th February 2005, 10:37 AM   #8
diyAudio Moderator

Clearly, you've never drunk coffee in the US. Our coffeeshops may not have the "ambiance" of their Dutch equivalents, but they have some of the best coffee to be had anywhere. I've got some French Roast in front of me at the moment, from locally-roasted beans, freshly ground, brewed with water from the Lake Herman reservoir. Delightful stuff and a great relief after the choice between dishwater and burnt beans that I suffered through last week in Germany.
Old 7th February 2005, 01:09 PM   #9
Prune is offline Prune  Canada
Account Disabled

Caffe Artigiano in Vancouver -- best espresso I ever had (including ones I've had in Italy, where the stuff was invented). Of course, a heavily customized espresso machine helps... The owner won second place last year in the World Barista Championship. Other than this, I've only found one other shop in North America where the espresso is at all drinkable.

I roast my own coffee, and within a week of roasting I have to change settings on the grinder to get the same extraction time, and later in the week it's definitely not as good. Coffee only seems to be really good for about four days after roasting.

You don't need to spend money on an expensive machine, as one can add PID controllers on cheap machines and get a huge improvement. There are many DIY pages on the Web discussing this, including the Coffegeek forums.
Old 7th February 2005, 04:24 PM   #10
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
A mix of salt and ground dried chipotle, added right as the popping is finished. mmmmmm.
Quote:
Originally posted by pinkmouse
What?
Chipotle is a mild hot pepper (is that an oxymoron?). Thanks for spelling it correctly. If you look up Chipolte (incorrect spelling) on Google, there are 29,000 who don't know the t comes before the l.

Cal

Hide this!Advertise here!