Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 20th November 2004, 04:28 PM   #1
Pedja is offline Pedja  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Yes, that is the question…

I’d use this chance to remind moderators that I am still waiting for the answer…

Old 20th November 2004, 07:54 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Well, then… here it goes publicly.

I am not sure if everybody here really are aware, but I know that all anyway should be aware of the fact that some people have been spending some time and good will to share their findings posting them here or to their own sites. The regulated supply for GC is one of such cases. Plenty of info is provided along the road and the project became popular thus having certain commercial weight. It was interesting to look the efforts by a few to cash in this in the meantime, now this case has gone farthest… I am looking at this and I see more than 200 sold pieces of the regulator board in the first, and the second round in progress (it seems like there will be more of them “on the demand of the customers” …). What I can not see anywhere is any credit given to anyone who started this GC route. And none of us, at least none of those I’ve talked with, was asked if is agreed with this or not. I am sorry to be this rude, but what I am trying to say is: digi01 could be happy to sell one board on his own. All the rest he is selling is the result of the other’s work. This has started like a selling of 20 pieces of surplus board. For most of us who put work to promote this approach, that may be still tolerable, but 250+ till now, without end in sight, no, that is not, no way.

I’ve posted complaint to the moderators seven days ago but up to now I haven’t received the answer. Probably because all this was by huge part made by one moderator, with apparent surplus of generosity with other’s work (see post #2 of this thread). Per-Anders should put his own work to make something sonically successful, to provide tips, warns for the problems and to make it widely accepted and commercially weighty and then he can give that to anyone he wants to give.

Since I don’t see the point of waiting for the answer of the moderators anymore, I will start new thread on the topic, probably in the Chip Amps Forum, to hear what fellow members think about this. If they say I am not right I’ll respect it and will withdraw, and of course won’t post much anymore, because that would be pointless for me. In fact, the things that happened till now are for me already enough to lessen the things I am posting. At the other hand, if members give the right to me, someone(s) made huge mistake and I think we need appropriate action.

Pedja

EDIT: Here is the thread I've started:
The question for all of you

Old 20th November 2004, 08:02 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default The question for all of you

Here is the thread where the thing has started:
3886inv gainclone PCB,group buy

Here is the corresponding Wiki page:
http://www.diyaudio.com/wiki/index.php?page=3886igc

Here is what I think about that:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...494#post516494

What do you think? Do we have here one guys providing the info, circuits, tips, warnings about pitfalls and giving layout advices, and others guys taking that to earn something in front of the nose of the firsts?

Pedja

Old 20th November 2004, 08:22 PM   #4
Banned

Pedja, you are absolutely right.
The efford you made long ago and posted on your site is being ripped and commercialized here without people even asking your permission.
That is not what I call living in community, that is not what I call living by the laws.

I've noticed long ago that we are helping some members who open threads asking help to make a better layout for an LM3886 board, buffer, or regulator board (or whatever), just to see some time later those boards commercialized.

These attitutes are, for me, clearly outside the DIY spirit.

Old 20th November 2004, 08:39 PM   #5
maxw is offline maxw  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Maybe I am missing something but I dont understand the problem here. What is commercialized about what digi is doing?
He is not a company, he is selling to DIYers. I believe he is not profitting from this. If he only had 10 people interested in the PCBs would it be different?
The fact that it is so popular I think is good for the community, it gives many people the opportunity to easily have a regulated equipment. What if Pedja was the one getting the PCBs produced? or what if he had a big "respect to xxx, xxx and xxx for sharing the initial work way back" banner at the beginning of his thread?

And what about people who are from this community who cant make there own PCBs or dont want to "get their hands that dirty" so to speak?

Old 20th November 2004, 08:40 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Carlos,

You may count yourself also as being ripped off, as well as the people like NealG, Troels, Nick… (there are more) may, all those who’ve been involved in this/such supply in a way they’ve experimented and reported that and put the info online. I should recall also that I wasn’t the first who put online such supply for the power amp, Class A amplifier site has something similar before (differences mainly due to the differences between the amps themselves). But there was a work to do until this gadget started to be considered as an improvement, and it was the long way until the situation we have now. It is done by some people and I bet none of them is happy because of this.

Pedja

Old 20th November 2004, 08:45 PM   #7
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Well, then… here it goes publicly.

Quote:
Originally posted by Pedja
I’ve posted complaint to the moderators seven days ago but up to now I haven’t received the answer. Probably because all this was by huge part made by one moderator, with apparent surplus of generosity with other’s work (see post #2 of this thread). Per-Anders should put his own work to make something sonically successful, to provide tips, warns for the problems and to make it widely accepted and commercially weighty and then he can give that to anyone he wants to give.
I'll hope you will get an answer but for your remark above, everything I do is free for non-commercial use except for the gerber files. I think I have said that plenty of times now... and yes I have been copied.

Old 20th November 2004, 08:46 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Isn't the gainclone alltogether ripped off from 47labs in the first place?

Old 20th November 2004, 08:48 PM   #9
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Lars Clausen
Isn't the gainclone alltogether ripped off from 47labs in the first place?

No, it's on page 1 of the LM3875 datasheet.

Old 20th November 2004, 08:51 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Carlos:

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!