Canada living

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What are the rules for a US citizen living in Canada? I just think it is a wonderful place. I have always felt at home in my travels to British Columbia.

It looks like a very interesting place to consider semi-retiring to and later more fully retiring to. It will be a a few years yet. My expectation is to use some of my specialty knowledge to earn some income, likely via internet even after retirement.

Can I stay fairly permanently or do I have to exit periodically.

How do I use the the heath care system. I assume there is some mechanism for me to pay for it somehow directly or via some insurance plan? Obviously I would not be covered under the national heath coverage but I assume I can access doctors somehow?

I assume I wouls pay income taxes to Canada for any business I ran from Canada. Other income would be US taxed I suspect.

Thanks

Re: Thanks for the link

moving_electron said:
Apparently though the actual immigration info site got 7x the normal hits on Wednesday.
156k or so hits. Dropped back down to 50k or so on Thursday which is about 2.5x normal.
There's no wonder. In the end you wil lose it anyway.
Better stay and fight, otherwise your dear country will end up pretty bad, and that will affect us all.

If the Democrats as a brand have trouble the Republican brand will grow.

But as always it will splinter a bit and grow toward the center, shutting out the extreme side.

In the mean time lots of Democrats that mobilized this time (we tried our best, really worked hard) will turn their attention to point issues where a majority can be formed on the issue.

For example say the insane fiscal irresponsibility. Or the nature of our foreign policy. The classic concentrate the attack approach. Lots of folks that voted Republican disagree with lots of the overall Republican agenda.

It is possible to get majorities of the population galvinized about opposing the worst offending pending policies.

So there is hope.

Or it will be a mess. Hard to tell.

The thing about the US is that it really is ceasing to be an actual country looking at it from the inside. It was always pretty regional but during the first part of my life there were things that actually bound the country together.

Not many of those left. Maybe TV shows.

America is more and more like a bunch of different regions with somewhat different values, views of the world etc. that could really do without the other ones. We like to visit each other though, lots of really cool terrain.

Great opportunity for George to govern from the middle and unite the country. By Thursday it was clear it was a join me or get I will leave you behind approach. Kind of sad really.

I makes me say good luck, have fun and decide I should go work on the point issues to resist the damage.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2003
roibm said:
I like the system quite a lot actually. Very nice. But I don't plan(altho both me and my wife meet the ca criteria and exceed it ;) ) to leave the old continent for anything else but nz, and nz is just too far away.

Speaking of NZ.

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,11303660%5E1702,00.html

Its got me baffled why so manny want to move to NZ for, there is no work there lol, its why most New Zealanders come to Aust.

Trev:)

I encourage each and every one of these people who are fed up with our country to move to another one as a matter of fact I would be willing to contribute to help them go away as long as they promise (sign a contract) not to come back ever. I get tired of hearing their big mouths. like alec baldwin (hes not even an american in the first place) I wonder what hapened to his promises

Testing, testing, testing.... eh?

Geek said:

LOL! I'm a born Canadian and got only 57! :D

I guess I'll be deprted to where I was born - Vancouver :p

I got a 69- I probably lost points because my accent in French is not Quebecois, it's Lyonnais. Fortunately, they didn't ask me about my political views or I would have gotten dinged badly. Unfortunately, they didn't ask about cold-adaptability, where I score pretty high, having that nice extra adipose layer for insulation. And I should have gotten extra points for being a Terrence and Philip fan.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.