Canadian Government buys four used subs, one shorts out. - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th October 2004, 05:32 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Default OK here's where the DIY cuts in.

Cripes, how hard can it be to build a submarine? Mostly all you need is half a brain, a modicum of skills, a big arc welder, good cutting torch, access to a well equipped scrap metal yard and a big crane!
Old 12th October 2004, 05:43 AM   #22
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

I think they do that on DiySubs.com
Old 12th October 2004, 06:29 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

There is a guy living in a decomissioned Russian sub in New Westminster quay. *It's* more functional than our subs
Old 12th October 2004, 03:56 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Geek
There is a guy living in a decomissioned Russian sub in New Westminster quay. *It's* more functional than our subs

That's certainly different! I know some folks have been lucky enough to be able to buy decommissioned missle silos in the US and use 'em as their house, I'd do that given the opportunity myself, but never heard of an available submarine. If this guy opened his *house* to tourists he could make a living that way.
Old 12th October 2004, 07:46 PM   #25
penance is offline penance  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by janneman

Did anyone of you ask where they would use them for or - that's an idea - actually THOUGHT about that? No? Thought so.

Subs are an excellent means for covert eavesdropping and intell gathering. With Canadian soldiers all over the globe's hotspots as peacekeepers (you DID know that, didn't you?) they would be foolish to rely on other nations sharing intell, which they won't, especially not the americans. I think it is very responsible to have this capability if you take your soldiers seriously.

And, if you think that a crew would just jump into a sub that's been laying there for some time and take it for a spin, well, what can I say?

Jan Didden

Yea, of course i asked, i spoke frequently with them. I decided to let them buy and old banger

Old 12th October 2004, 09:54 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Well actually they would have a use in protecting Canadian sovereinty. If a foreign vessel invaded and challenged our sovereign waters again our armed forces are better equipped. The navy can now load the torpedo tubes with leaflets requesting that our sovereign waters be recognized and quite literally blow a whole shipload of them across the bow of the intruder! Some of you old hands may recall that Canada previously only had this capability in airdrop from Airforce aircraft onto the deck of the intruding ship.

You foreigners better think twice about sending ships to invade Canada. We won't litter your decks with leaflets this time now that we can shove 'em right up your *ss.
Old 12th October 2004, 10:35 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rcavictim
Well actually they would have a use in protecting Canadian sovereinty. If a foreign vessel invaded and challenged our sovereign waters again our armed forces are better equipped. The navy can now load the torpedo tubes with leaflets requesting that our sovereign waters be recognized and quite literally blow a whole shipload of them across the bow of the intruder! Some of you old hands may recall that Canada previously only had this capability in airdrop from Airforce aircraft onto the deck of the intruding ship.

You foreigners better think twice about sending ships to invade Canada. We won't litter your decks with leaflets this time now that we can shove 'em right up your *ss.

I shouldn't worry about torpedo-less subs, we in the UK are about to get fighters with ammo-less guns.
Anyway, Spanish fishermen and geriatric Americans in search of cheaper medicines aside, there is about as much chance of someone invading Canada as there is of Quebec declaring UDI and applying to join the EU.
Old 13th October 2004, 12:04 AM   #28
mirlo is offline mirlo  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Forget about subs. I want one of these ...

1953 690' aircraft carrier for $6.5M

http://www.marinesource.com/buyersli...ingNmb=7240004
Old 13th October 2004, 12:43 AM   #29
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by rfbrw
there is about as much chance of someone invading Canada as there is of Quebec declaring UDI and applying to join the EU.
Talk about taking the wind out of our sails, er, I mean water out of our ballast tanks. Nobody wants to invade us?

Living here in the second largest country on earth, I think we should get more recognition among the world's populice. Are we that unimportant? We have lots of things that a militant nation might want from us. They could invade easily.

Oh wait, I forgot about big brother to the south. They wouldn't allow that. We are their friends.

But I digress...

I saw pictures of the inside of the sub. What a blackened mess. I can't begin to imagine the horror of a fire under the water, especially one in the electrical panel that knocks out the lights and power. When the thing filled with smoke, I wonder how many thought: "this might be it" I'm guessing 57. One was right.

RIP Chris Saunders
Old 26th October 2004, 02:32 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Next time i hope they will try ebay.

Hide this!Advertise here!